SMAA & FXAA Work on regular captured images?

• vfxninjaeditor
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1 by vfxninjaeditor SMAA & FXAA Work on regular captured images? was created by vfxninjaeditor
Hey, so I was messing around with the Mediator and plugged a screenshot from Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (Xbox 360) into the offline preview. It has no AA in the image. When I applied my preset all the jaggies disappeared. Can someone explain this to me? I admit I know very little about shaders and Reshade it's self, but I didn't think it was possible to apply AA to an image after it had been captured.

Here are links to the affected image.
Before: grab.by/JEpw
After: grab.by/JEpA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #2 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic SMAA & FXAA Work on regular captured images?
:lol: Thats the point of the offline preview. It renders the image usind direct3D 9 and loads the appropriate ReShade binary so all effects will be applied to the image. That way you can tweak a game without running, owning or before the release of a game/app! :side:
So far only depth based shader do not work but are planned to be added together with the static/emulated depth texture.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Ganossa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

• vfxninjaeditor
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #3 by vfxninjaeditor Replied by vfxninjaeditor on topic SMAA & FXAA Work on regular captured images?
Haha, I understand the point behind the offline preview. I was specifically referring to offline AA. It never occurred to me that SMAA or FXAA would work on a 2D image that has aliasing. This is very interesting to me because it means that you could technically apply AA to console games, albeit most likely afterward to recorded gameplay as I don't know of an easy way to apply Reshade live to a stream from any console.

Glad to hear depth support for the offline preview is being added! :)

• Ganossa
More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic SMAA & FXAA Work on regular captured images?
As long a the streaming tool uses directx or ogl API, applying non depth based shader should be no problem.

For quiet some time now people use injectors for tools like vlc or other media player to apply shader to their movies, e.g. debanding to animated movies.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.