Using .cg shaders with reshade possible? Dosbox...

• mr_blastman
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #1 by mr_blastman Using .cg shaders with reshade possible? Dosbox... was created by mr_blastman
So I've done some really neat things with the DirectX version of Dosbox. The DAUM version. I've gotten quite close to having it look like a real CRT from the 1990-1993 era with a dot pitch of say .33 - .25. Pre-1990 era VGA or RGB monitors are another story--as they had terrible dot pitch ratios of say .66 and require a completely different method to emulate them accurately. Some other emulators have done a fantastic job--such as SainT and even WinUAE. WinUAE suppots bezels! But they only work with Atari ST and Amiga stuff. I would like it to work for DOS programs.

So far, I've achieved results like this using Sweetfx and some .fx shaders which DAUM supports. The most important feature in Sweetfx is the USE_GAUSSIAN feature... but Gaussian isn't available in Sweetfx 2.0 for some reason. I have to use version 1.4... Anyways, this is what I have done so far. I think it looks great.

and

But I want more. I know I can do more. There must be a way. This is what Retroarch can do with .cg shaders... Youtube doesn't do it justice. There is this really fine grainy signal interference that is amazing that it does not pick up...

and

Notice the individual pixels (as best you can in video). The CRT glow. The phosphors. There's more... I didn't write the shader... but it is by far the best one I have ever seen for pre-1990 gaming on awful television sets (which a lot of us did). It helps because my real CRT died and my old carts want to be played. At least I have another way until I find a replacement.

Anyways, will reshade allow these .cg shaders, addition of stuff like monitor bezels and shadow mask? Also, does reshade allow me to get back that gaussian blur effect essential for monitor glow that SweetFX 1.4 had?
The following user(s) said Thank You: piltrafus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Using .cg shaders with reshade possible? Dosbox...
CG shaders can be ported to ReShade FX (ReShade's shader language).
As for the "gaussian" shader you were talking about: reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/27-...ur-bloom-unsharpmask
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by crosire.

• BrokenDog
More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by BrokenDog Replied by BrokenDog on topic Using .cg shaders with reshade possible? Dosbox...
This looks fantastic, would you mind uploading your RetroArch settings?

• mr_blastman
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #4 by mr_blastman Replied by mr_blastman on topic Using .cg shaders with reshade possible? Dosbox...
Hi Crosire,
Is there a utility to automate this conversion or a tool that simplifies the conversion from .cg to reshade format? I know very little about shader programming but have many shaders I would like to convert.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.