Curious Question about colour

• Quentin-Tarantino
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by Quentin-Tarantino Curious Question about colour was created by Quentin-Tarantino
I am just wondering do folks prefer a red tint/filter in there presets?
The reason i am asking is that there are some really nice Presets of games going around
that never seem to get downloaded or noticed and others that are just red tints and folks are creaming them self's over them.
I know it is a strange question but i am really Curious about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Constantine PC
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Curious Question about colour
Filters have a place in games as they do in film.

The unfortunate thing about games is you cannot prevent the character from being filtered like you can do for an actor in a movie so everything becomes that one color. (for instance if doing the popular cyan tint seen in the majority of movies nowdays. Your character will look too cyan. )
This leads to most filters being either brown or blue because they play better with skin-tones.

This is a picture from K-putt's fallout 4 preset. Notice how the entire game has a redish/brown tint.
(it's also modified from stock visuals but nothing was done to the filter. Boosting Saturation like done in this screenshot makes it much more pronounced).

• Quentin-Tarantino
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #3 by Quentin-Tarantino Replied by Quentin-Tarantino on topic Curious Question about colour

Constantine PC wrote: Filters have a place in games as they do in film.

The unfortunate thing about games is you cannot prevent the character from being filtered like you can do for an actor in a movie so everything becomes that one color. (for instance if doing the popular cyan tint seen in the majority of movies nowdays. Your character will look too cyan. )
This leads to most filters being either brown or blue because they play better with skin-tones.

I was hoping that you would pop up because you are one of the guys that i think don't get the credit you should.
I came across this really good software for making luts today And since Luts are your neck of the woods i was thinking
if this program that i will post in a sec can change individual colours by the unique way it's handle the colour system
and make Luts from it could them Luts then be able to add to the game the same way.
If it did then wouldn't that solve the problem? Does better job than photoshop at colour correction luts

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Quentin-Tarantino.

• Constantine PC
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #4 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Curious Question about colour
Idk I'm in no way a LUT pro lol!

I just do color correction in the Mediator then convert it to a LUT via the way Lucifer Hawk included. B)

Theoretically yeah if you could make a LUT via that program and exludes a characters skin tones and then you changed the entire backgrounds shadows and midtones to a cyan/green look you would literally have Transformers color correction.

There is also this thing called HSV in the mediator now that allows individual channel control but I haven't really played with it.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Constantine PC.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.