Is Reshade Still Alive?

• SpinelessJelly
More
8 years 2 months ago #21 by SpinelessJelly Replied by SpinelessJelly on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
Yeah, I'm not certain that background transparency helps in any way - focus on the active tab instead is cool. Your design looks very novel, can't wait to try it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Prodousier
More
8 years 2 months ago #22 by Prodousier Replied by Prodousier on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
that looks good, last thing I think of is try decrease saturation of that purple color (fonts and lines)
it will looks more natural and professional

• Ganossa
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #23 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Ganossa wrote: The assistent uses exactly 5 colors as you can find in usual color palettes. Those colors are freely and easily adjustable by the user to change the entire mood of the assistent.

Thats subject to everyone's opinion. I wont bother with it and the above quote should underline that ;)

//That will most likely not be the release look by the way, its made as a showcase and to experiment :)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Ganossa.

• DeMondo
More
8 years 2 months ago #24 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Ganossa wrote: The design approach of your example is quiet different though. It is the usual separation of tabs that are accessed individually and are not really inter-linked.
From my experience and from the main feedback I received for my work on the mediator, the common wish was for more transparency in how tabs/functionalities depend on another.
The ultimate problem for me to solve was to show all important options at once while containing the required space.

Therefore I had the idea to preview neighbor tabs and also allowing there control while always only one tab is in focus (which cannot have transparent background). However, this means that I use the blur not as an effect that looks good or to emphasize the focus but to mimic depth that makes it easier for the user to understand the unusual scrolling and display of the tabs. That said, I am of course able to use transparency and blur but not for the exact same purpose which you see in your example.

Anyway, I hope you will be pleased with the solution I am going to provide :)

On topic of fonts, I did not come to that part yet of the work and in most cases (concerning UIs) I leave it out entirely. From a readability stand point, the standard font is usually the best. However, in the following you can see a little showcase/experiment of some modern font (maybe optional?) applied to the ReShade Assistant (+ my final compromise of blur and transparency :D)

--> Good design & teasing, so when can we get it?

• Prodousier
More
8 years 2 months ago #25 by Prodousier Replied by Prodousier on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
I know we can change colors but I was speaking about desaturation :D

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #26 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Prodousier wrote: I know we can change colors but I was speaking about desaturation :D

How is that important for the tool? It's just a small thing, way more important are actual features that help creating presets, not how you can colorize the buttons. Btw desaturation = changing colors.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Yum 72, piltrafus

• Prodousier
More
8 years 2 months ago #27 by Prodousier Replied by Prodousier on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
ok just wanted to help

• Elimina
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #28 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Ganossa wrote:

I like the design, and since most of it is customizable, we have the ability to make it look however we want, but there is one thing that is bugging me. I'm not really a big fan of the rounded tabs, text boxes, etc. I think having the shapes with no rounded corners would look much more clean and up to date IMO.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Elimina.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #29 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Elimina wrote: I like the design, and since most of it is customizable, we have the ability to make it look however we want, but there is one thing that is bugging me. I'm not really a big fan of the rounded tabs, text boxes, etc. I think having the shapes with no rounded corners would look much more clean and up to date IMO.

I agree.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by crosire.

• klotim
More
8 years 2 months ago #30 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

crosire wrote:

Elimina wrote: I like the design, and since most of it is customizable, we have the ability to make it look however we want, but there is one thing that is bugging me. I'm not really a big fan of the rounded tabs, text boxes, etc. I think having the shapes with no rounded corners would look much more clean and up to date IMO.

I agree.

I agree too, i'm a webdesigner and no rounded square boxes is also modern at the moment.
better stick to the updated design that is hot now.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 2 months ago #31 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
You are probably right about it being trendy...

But here is the big but :P trends will never determing what is looking better or worse, they are even less objective than our actual taste.
I am trying to find something that looks good, not something that is in the trend.

You ever saw the sunrise after an early hike to the top of a mountain. Or the painted ceiling of some roman churches. They are not in the trend. They actually look good!

This community has a lot! of good ideas though some might be plain taste arguments but don't you agree that trend should at least be our last argument to change :P
I can just hope (and work hard) so most people will like the look -no matter it being released today, 20 years ago or 20 years from now-
B) Keep up the nice feedback guys and I'll keep trying!!

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #32 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
Doesn't change the fact that I like the modern, square design more. I told you that in person already =P.
This software is for the here and now, it might not be relevant in 20 years anymore, so it's more important to follow the current trend rather than recreating something old (those round boxes were popular back in the times of XP).
Anyway, you are right, features and usability are the most important thing, design can be decided over a bit later.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by crosire.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #33 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
Edit::Oh well :) Decided for something entirely different than boxes.

• klotim
More
8 years 2 months ago #34 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Ganossa wrote: Edit::Oh well :) Decided for something entirely different than boxes.

Those fonts could be better for readability :)

or

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganossa, Elimina

• Elimina
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #35 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

klotim wrote:

Ganossa wrote: Edit::Oh well :) Decided for something entirely different than boxes.

Those fonts could be better for readability :)

or

Thanks you for bringing this up. I couldn't agree more. I don't know why, but I got bored and made a simple modern menu in Illustrator with modern fonts, shapes, and colors. I think it looks much nicer with just changing to a more thin lined sans serif font

Example Photoshop Menu:
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Ganossa

• klotim
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #36 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Elimina wrote:

klotim wrote:
Thanks you for bringing this up. I couldn't agree more. I don't know why, but I got bored and made a simple modern menu in Illustrator with modern fonts, shapes, and colors. I think it looks much nicer with just changing to a more thin lined sans serif font

Example Photoshop Menu:

looks much better, more clean.

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by klotim.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #37 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
Thanks for trying out some more fonts. Though I had only little time and they are borderline readable, I liked the design of the ones which are in my concept images. Could you maybe help with search for some more fonts that are similar to that but might increase readability? (Different elements could also have different fonts though I like uniformity just like you guys I guess)

At the moment it would be good to preview with one font color cause there is no customization split yet. For the topic markers on left and right it might also be good to put some writing in the background (with same font and color) and check if the topics are still readable.

Thanks alot for helping out! Release is very very close :-)

Edit: Just to let you know the customization split for colors:

1. Color - Top&Bottom background
2. Color - Tab background
3. Color - Fonts and clickables
4. Color - Highlights (mainly list & text selectors)
5. Color - Drop Shadow

• Elimina
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #38 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?

Ganossa wrote: I liked the design of the ones which are in my concept images. Could you maybe help with search for some more fonts that are similar to that but might increase readability?

I found two fonts that look similar to yours, but they are much more readable (Links):
Stark
Grotesk

Ganossa wrote: 1. Color - Top&Bottom background
2. Color - Tab background
3. Color - Fonts and clickables
4. Color - Highlights (mainly list & text selectors)
5. Color - Drop Shadow

Will we be able to disable the drop shadow if we choose to?

• Ganossa
More
8 years 2 months ago #39 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
Thanks, will check them out.

There is a custom value called Shadow Depth which will allow the user to adjust the drop shadow depth. Setting this to 0 will disable existing drop shadows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elimina

• Ganossa
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #40 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Is Reshade Still Alive?
So, I found some time to try out more fonts.
Turns out, two of the Raleway sizes are indeed satisfying in most cases. :)
Thanks again for helping checking those out!

- anyhow, here is the result of those (and some other) changes -

Thats is as far as I will go for now with customization guys. Should get most of you the results you want!
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Ganossa. Reason: Raleway...what is that supposed to mean anyway o.o

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.