DirectX 12

• Zomgerd
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #21 by Zomgerd Replied by Zomgerd on topic DirectX 12

Elimina wrote:

Zomgerd wrote:

MonarchX wrote:

crosire wrote: Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.

I'm sorry about your problems with Windows 10... However, one way or another, Windows 10 will be THE OS considering it higher adoption rate than Windows 7 did because of how it is. Change is always hard and people hate change, but once you get used to Windows 10, its impossible to go back to any previous version of Windows.

Yeah, no. The only reason Win10 has the adoption rate it does is because it was a free upgrade and I do mean the only reason, DX12 is new and not being used by enough games to warrant anyone buying the OS and there certainly isn't a reason for win7 users to upgrade to Win10. Microsoft's arrogance about how many installs they have is mind-blowing, like no body would jump at the chance to try out the new OS for free and most consumers don't even realize that if they didn't like it they could revert back to their previous Windows within 30 days. Change is inevitable and we all know that but Microsoft is changing in an effort to become Apple and they are doing a terrible job of it, not that anyone asked or wanted them to do it.

There actually is a lot to dislike about Win10 if you're consumer who actually cares about privacy or control over your system, for instance for me; Forced updates which was and is never a good idea to begin with plus MS has been awful at updates in the past few years, no ability to choose what updates get installed (again because MS is awful at updates), zero ability to turn off telemetry (you know part of that whole spying thing) even if you set it to be off [MS has said this several times by the way], the UI [an improvement over win8/8.1 in literally one respect] is still dreadful, why must we have mobile interfaces on a desktop? It's dumb and it makes the whole system look and feel like a crappy knockoff and lastly, backwards compatibility is once again an issue for a new version of windows but that comes with the territory for Windows at this point, which is still sad to this day.

Please take off your tin foil hat for a moment. Microsoft does not use Windows 10 to spy on you, and it has been proven as a fact from many of their license agreements. There are hundreds of articles that also gather quotes and facts that contribute to the arguement against these absurd ideals that windows 10 is a Cold War spy device used to steal your information. Although what I just said is an exaggeration, that is basically what people think windows 10 does, which is untrue. About updates: Microsoft has been constantly releasing updates which has added new features, and fixed almost all of the problems that I had with the OS. It is a very reliable OS, but I would never suggest updating from a previous OS, unless you buy a new computer or you completely wipe yours. I just got lucky when installing it, since I had little to no problems.

Don't have a tin foil hat on, I don't like the idea there is no actual way to turn off telemetry besides, that's not my deal breaker nor was that the point I was making. Microsoft has been releasing terrible updates for years, even on Windows 7 (which they are still releasing terrible updates for), so no I'm not comfortable with MS deciding what updates to install on my computer. I had a list of updates to either uninstall or avoid installing on Windows 7 (lost that list somewhere) because they either made my system slower for no good reason or were causing dumb problems like SweetFX not working anymore. Never said the OS wasn't reliable, was implying Microsoft's updates aren't reliable which they aren't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #22 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic DirectX 12

Marty McFly wrote: You didn't get the point, Microsoft makes mistakes every few months and releases a flawed update which destroys the whole system. While this may happen, they are people after all, the automatic updates result in a lot more people suffering from the consequences than before. You have the logical fallacy that just because nothing bad did happen to you, nothing bad happens at all. For my Windows 7, I update once a month and managed to dodge every flawed update with this but on my laptop I can't do this anymore hence I do backup over backup of my study files.

@MonarchX: Different versions, different versions. Try running GTASA ENB on anything newer than Windows 7, you will habe extreme issues. That is no dumb user issue, these versions run for less than 10 percent of the people on Windows 8+ and none of the fixes that solve issues on other versions work, or any fix, for that matter.

For whatever dumb reason there is actually a setting to set updates to just notify and not automatically install but it's hidden in the group policy settings. :)
www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-n...ling-windows-updates
(And apparently the home version of W10 might not be 100% functional with this so it needs pro or enterprise.)

Didn't know about ENB but I haven't tried older versions of it, generally Windows 10 is more compatible with old games than Vista/Seven/Eight/Eight dot one but yeah some changes to the DirectX API did render older injectors incompatible though I do not know the technical details of why that happens.

The constant updating and changing of the OS might be annoying to some as well, particularly the build updates where it's almost like a full reinstall rather than how the earlier service-pack updates were handled, takes a while to set everything back to preferred again as even with synchronization not every setting will be remembered and sometimes updates reset settings anyway, system restore is pretty well known to get reset now and again for example. :)
(I'm on the slow ring branch myself so currently on build 14295 which was released two days ago after a period of time on the fast ring branch, apparently a new fast ring build is planned to be released shortly though the full "Redstone" or now Anniversary as it's called update will be released in June/July sometime.)

• Elimina
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #23 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic DirectX 12

Marty McFly wrote: You didn't get the point, Microsoft makes mistakes every few months and releases a flawed update which destroys the whole system. While this may happen, they are people after all, the automatic updates result in a lot more people suffering from the consequences than before. You have the logical fallacy that just because nothing bad did happen to you, nothing bad happens at all. For my Windows 7, I update once a month and managed to dodge every flawed update with this but on my laptop I can't do this anymore hence I do backup over backup of my study files.

That's precisely why I didn't suggest upgrading from your current OS. I even said "I got lucky when installing it, since I had no problems". Many of my other friends and family had major problems with 10 that made it unusable when upgrading. That is also why I said that "you should only get windows 10 on a completely NEW computer or you can wipe your current computer and install it". I never did say that people should simply upgrade from their current OS on their system, and I never said that nobody has problems when upgrading.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Elimina.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #24 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic DirectX 12
I seemed to be dead tired and not very attentive when I wrote that, ignore my previous message...

• aufkrawall
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #25 by aufkrawall Replied by aufkrawall on topic DirectX 12
I have disabled automatic Windows Updates via tweak tool O&O ShutUp10, I suppose it makes use of system group policies for this of the Pro version of Windows 10.
You can also simply disable driver check via Windows Update. If you want to be extra sure, you can disable the Windows Update service and start it manually if needed, or you can even block the whole process by image file execution hijack via simple registry tweak (I've blocked Cortana process that way).
I agree that this is a harassment, but it can be worked around. Haven't been annoyed by Windows 10 yet again after finding out some tweaks. The UI is not such a big change. After all, it's still Windows and with Classic Shell, it doesn't feel much different than Windows 7 (apart from being faster).
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by aufkrawall.

• crosire
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #26 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic DirectX 12
Still ridiculous that you need to spend precious time tweaking and fixing stuff with third-party tools in Windws 10, when everything works fine out-of-the-box with Windows 7. Anyway, there is no real need to continue the discussion. Point were made and valid arguments exchanged, but it doesn't change my view on things.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by crosire.

• aufkrawall
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #27 by aufkrawall Replied by aufkrawall on topic DirectX 12
No disagreement on this. If it wasn't for DX12 or other core improvements, I surely woulnd't use Windows 10.

• piltrafus
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #28 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic DirectX 12
Hi, can someone recommend a legit source to get an upgrade from windows 7 64 to windows 7 pro? or a retail license?
I have 32gb of ram but win 7 home premium has a @%&* limit of 16gb max.

amazon and ebay are full of offers but they are all oem and most of them look shady.

• Zomgerd
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #29 by Zomgerd Replied by Zomgerd on topic DirectX 12

piltrafus wrote: Hi, can someone recommend a legit source to get an upgrade from windows 7 64 to windows 7 pro? or a retail license?
I have 32gb of ram but win 7 home premium has a @%&* limit of 16gb max.

amazon and ebay are full of offers but they are all oem and most of them look shady.

Honestly I don't think it matters if it's OEM or Retail and I've seen plenty of people say they've had no problems with using OEM windows 7 on other machines. As for the shady-ness of Amazon and Ebay offers it's really down to the sellers feedback. On Ebay buying from top rated plus (or anyone who has a significant amount of positive feedback that is around 99%) sellers is usually very safe and from what I've heard Ebay is quite good about protecting the buyer. Heck I recently bought an i7 2600k from an Ebay seller who wasn't top rated plus but had a good rating and most completely positive feedback and it works flawlessly. As for Amazon I would assume anyone with a good amount of ratings and a 95%+ positive rating over the past 12 months is probably very good to buy from.

Main point, don't worry if it's OEM or Retail it should work fine either way and buy from good rep sellers. Also from what I'm looking at buying from Amazon would be the cheaper option for Win7 pro 64bit from at least a couple more reputable sellers, giant difference in price depending on the seller.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Zomgerd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: piltrafus

• MonarchX
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #30 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic DirectX 12
Every single Windows version I used required 3rd party applications and tweaks to get it working right, including Windows 7. Then again, I make my PC very organized, crystal clear, 0 clutter, no cool visuals or anything.

Anyway, someone else will probably pick up DirectX 12 development or else major number of people will be alienated. Steam reports that Windows 10 is not just the most-adoptable OS, but at this time is the most popular OS on Steam! Steam surveys are a major representation of gamer population. One way or another, when DirectX 12 goes mainstream (or if), ReShade DirectX 12 support WILL arrive.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Crosire said "Enough". No more on this topic from me :cheer: .
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by MonarchX.

• Qsimil
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #31 by Qsimil Replied by Qsimil on topic DirectX 12
Well i need someone to support DX12 or at least Reshade 2.0 under Windows 10, because i can't get Reshade to work, i don't get any errors, but simply no shader effects works.

• MonarchX
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #32 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic DirectX 12

Qsimil wrote: I'm just curious what exactly crosire finds so bad about Windows 10 that he is staying with Windows 7, that's all i'm asking for now :)

AFAIK, he doesn't like the GUI and doesn't feel that a couple of hours spent doing some research, changing Windows settings, using 3rd party apps, downloading and applying tweaks, testing tweaks and settings, and eventually making Windows 10 look as bare and as simple as Windows 7 are hours not well-spent.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 1 week ago #33 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic DirectX 12
Nope. As I said. I don't like the way the core OS architecture is designed in general. It's inconsistent, overloaded and unstable. I have nothing against the UI in particular. This is nothing you can fix with third party tools. It's a fundamental issue.
And as I said before too, that doesn't mean ReShade will never get D3D12 support. I can boot Windows 10 virtually. I just won't install it as primary OS as of right now. Last time I answer this topic.

Qsimil wrote: under Windows 10

ReShade works perfectly fine on Windows 10.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by crosire.

• Zomgerd
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #34 by Zomgerd Replied by Zomgerd on topic DirectX 12

MonarchX wrote: Every single Windows version I used required 3rd party applications and tweaks to get it working right, including Windows 7. Then again, I make my PC very organized, crystal clear, 0 clutter, no cool visuals or anything.

Anyway, someone else will probably pick up DirectX 12 development or else major number of people will be alienated. Steam reports that Windows 10 is not just the most-adoptable OS, but at this time is the most popular OS on Steam! Steam surveys are a major representation of gamer population. One way or another, when DirectX 12 goes mainstream (or if), ReShade DirectX 12 support WILL arrive.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Crosire said "Enough". No more on this topic from me :cheer: .

Self-alienation, not forced. With DX11 and 12 being a options in all current games released being DX12 capable, I would assume the trend will continue and you will be able to choose between DX11 and 12 (as you could with dx9 and dx11 games). Steam "reports" what users have based on a completely optional survey that represents those who do the surveys not the "gamer population" as a whole. I have very little doubt someone will come along and make a DX12 injector if Crosire wont do it. However, that person will probably never have the commitment Crosire has had to the project, having been around when he began to work on an injector that would not only do DirectX games but OpenGL as well, after over 2 years, a name change and a complete restart of the project, from basically scratch, the injector he envisioned then is now a reality. And in those 2 years I might add, no one else (except Boulotaur who preceded Crosire's first post months before but had stopped updating by then) had been working on a new injector that worked with win8.1 DX11 and 64bit titles, with the former being a big issue and the latter becoming more prominent.

Edit: By the way, I have long since stopped doubting the length at which someone will go to avoid doing something because of one person. Boris, the creator of ENB. He refuses for YEARS to upgrade his toaster of a PC so that he could better work on his injector and he FINALLY upgraded it to be DX11 capable because of GTA V and FO4.. Basically he waited till he had no choice. I mean that literally, he could have upgraded to DX11 and done ENB's for DX11 games back when Deus Ex: Human Revolution released, he opted to make an ENB for the DX9 version of the game and to this day that is the only version capable of ENB. xD
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Zomgerd.

• Qsimil
More
8 years 1 week ago #35 by Qsimil Replied by Qsimil on topic DirectX 12
crosire : yes i know, but not for me.

By the way, little related to Topic :P
www.dsogaming.com/news/windows-10-64bit-...ntel-still-dominant/

• Zomgerd
More
8 years 1 week ago #36 by Zomgerd Replied by Zomgerd on topic DirectX 12

Qsimil wrote: crosire : yes i know, but not for me.

By the way, little related to Topic :P
www.dsogaming.com/news/windows-10-64bit-...ntel-still-dominant/

Again, steam survey's represent those who participate in them, they do not and have never represented the Steam user base as a whole. If it were a mandatory survey then it could be argued that it repsents everyone but even then you'd be missing out on those who outright refuse to use steam.

• allisbuggy1
More
7 years 11 months ago #37 by allisbuggy1 Replied by allisbuggy1 on topic DirectX 12
I don't like Windows 10 and am still running Windows 7,

i too :P

• Aztec2012
More
6 years 5 months ago #38 by Aztec2012 Replied by Aztec2012 on topic DirectX 12
Any news about DirectX 12?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.