RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #1 by MonarchX RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1? was created by MonarchX
I do not quite understand those 2 options and what effect they have on ReShade post-processing image quality. I know I should set them both to 0 to get some FPS back, but only I solely use SweetFX by itself. Thing is, I also use CustomFX and even when I set "RFX_InitialStorage=0", CustomFX effects, such as TuningPalette, AdaptiveSharpen, Film Grain, and a few others apply just fine. Why is that?

What about REX_DepthBufferCalc? When can it be enabled /set to 1 and when can it be disabled / set to 0? Is there an image or compatibility benefit to having it set to 1 / enabled? I have it set to 0 for all my profiles, but once again, CustomFX TuningPalette, AdaptiveSharpen, and Film Grain work perfectly fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #2 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?
Bump!

• Elimina
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #3 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?

MonarchX wrote: I do not quite understand those 2 options and what effect they have on ReShade post-processing image quality. I know I should set them both to 0 to get some FPS back, but only I solely use SweetFX by itself. Thing is, I also use CustomFX and even when I set "RFX_InitialStorage=0", CustomFX effects, such as TuningPalette, AdaptiveSharpen, Film Grain, and a few others apply just fine. Why is that?

I'm not an expert, but I know that if you ONLY use Sweetfx effects, then this option being set to 0 will boost your FPS slightly. If believe that if you use other effects, this option will be pointless. The option will not disable other effects, so if you use it be sure that you are actually using the Sweetfx suite effects if you want the FPS increase.

MonarchX wrote: What about REX_DepthBufferCalc? When can it be enabled /set to 1 and when can it be disabled / set to 0? Is there an image or compatibility benefit to having it set to 1 / enabled? I have it set to 0 for all my profiles, but once again, CustomFX TuningPalette, AdaptiveSharpen, and Film Grain work perfectly fine.

I think that if a game uses depth buffering, enabling this will disable the need for ReShade to detect a depth buffer which gives the user a few FPS if you are not using Depth effects in that game. Also, if a game doesn't have a depth buffer, enabling this will also give you some FPS because there isn't a depth buffer in the first place and you can't even use depth effects in the first place.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Elimina.

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #4 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?
So I guess since I use CustomFX, the general advice is pretty to enable both settings .

• Sekta
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #5 by Sekta Replied by Sekta on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?
IIRC initial storage allows certain shaders to use the original frame after the frame has already been through several passes from other shaders. You can do without it but the end result will look different than with it disabled. Personally, I disable it and put all color shaders into a LUT for a nice performance boost.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Sekta.

• crosire
More
8 years 4 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?

Sekta wrote: IIRC initial storage allows certain shaders to use the original frame after the frame has already been through several passes from other shaders.

Correct.

RFX_DepthBufferCalc fetches the depth buffer a does store a linearized copy of it for later use in all shaders that need depth input (which thus depend on that setting).

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #7 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?

crosire wrote:

Sekta wrote: IIRC initial storage allows certain shaders to use the original frame after the frame has already been through several passes from other shaders.

Correct.

RFX_DepthBufferCalc fetches the depth buffer a does store a linearized copy of it for later use in all shaders that need depth input (which thus depend on that setting).

Thank you for such prompt replies, but unfortunately they haven't helped me decide which ones to use. The one and the most important NON-SweetFX feature that I use is from from CustomFX it is called TuningPalette. I use a Calibration LUT made by dispcalGUI that, when used by TuningPalette shader/effect, allows me to see a fully calibrated image in games with accurate grayscale and accurate colorspace. I am sure you know that "colorspace" is also known as "color gamut" and both are exactly the same thing. Accurate colorspace calibration cannot be achieved in games through other means on my monitor due to my monitor's poor and highly limited hardware OSD settings and, as we all know, ICC profiles can only apply colorspace information / correction in very specific environments, but not games. In summary: proper utilization of ReShade CustomFX TuningPalette LUT is the only way to achieve a truly accurate grayscale and colorspace calibration that can be applied to games.

The only other NON-SweetFX shader I use (rarely) is also from CustomFX and it is AdaptiveSharpen, but it is not very important to me and nowhere near as important and TuningPalette shader/effect. I noticed that unlike LumaSharpen, AdaptiveSharpen has a rather heavy effect on aliasing, creating mild jaggies even at the lowest setting / values and even heavy AA methods such as TXAA and TAA.

This leaves me with 3 major questions:

1. To what should I set both RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc to properly utilize TuningPalette shader and achieve that accurate image?

2. To what should I set both RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc to properly utilize AdaptiveSharpen shader for sharpening the image? To which values should I set RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc to minimize AdaptiveSharpen aliasing/jaggies effect / To which values should I set should I set RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc to achieve the best and the most accurate/proper AdaptiveSharpen effect?

3. Same as #1 - I mostly care for achieving an accurate image by applying LUT created for my display through TuningPalette shader/effect. Its very important to me! To what should I set both RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc to properly utilize TuningPalette shader and achieve that accurate image I so badly desire?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by MonarchX.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #8 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic RFX_InitialStorage & REX_DepthBufferCalc = 0 or 1?
In all your cases you can disable RFX_InitialStorage and RFX_DepthBufferCalc (so both set to 0). Neither is needed for the 3DLUT of the tuning palette shader or the adaptive sharpening shader. :)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Ganossa.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.