Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games

• ItsNotHectic
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #1 by ItsNotHectic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games was created by ItsNotHectic
I have never had a problem not having enough AA until now, I usually run 8x max on games and am happy with the defaults whatever are provided but Blade and Soul is just weird when it comes to how it handles some effects. With either SMAA or FXAA or even their own LEAA, a lot of jagged lines, some minor some just huge, get completely missed.

Its very noticeable and distracting. I have tried all settings in game and in sweetfx.cfg and theres no helping this game without either NVCP compatability or another AA shader.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
Where is the problem? Enable MSAA (MSAA is no post-processing AA solution) via the game settings or force it through the driver. Then you could apply SMAA via ReShade on top of that.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by crosire.

• TreyM
More
8 years 2 months ago #3 by TreyM Replied by TreyM on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
My guess is that in some newer games, we're fighting against shader aliasing, and depending on what the effect is, it can be extremely hard to anti-alias those artifacts. Case in point: Alien Isolation.

• ItsNotHectic
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4 by ItsNotHectic Replied by ItsNotHectic on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
Problem is I cant force anything in NVCP or Inspector with reshade. Game is DX9 and old, its using a modified UE3.

Its driving me crazy because all the females hair in the game flickers like grass would in other games.

Ive tried everything, even negative Lumasharpen strength.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by ItsNotHectic.

• SirArthurStreebGreebling
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5 by SirArthurStreebGreebling Replied by SirArthurStreebGreebling on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
I'd like to add my support for this feature as well, if its doable that is. There's a lot of games out there that don't have support for anti aliasing and since downsampling is the only option that adds a massive performance hit to reshade which makes the two hard to use together. Would it not be a lot cheaper to have MSAA in reshade?

My (basic) understanding is that deffered rendering makes anti aliasing like msaa not work in engines that use it so how would this even be possible with reshade or is it possible to do it afterwards? But if it reshade can do it this way why don't developers use this method? I've confused myself now.

Alien isolation is definitely the biggest culprit for aliasing that I've seen in a long time i just couldn't get into it it was way too distracting and held back the visuals too much from their full potential.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by SirArthurStreebGreebling.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
MSAA intervenes with the rendering pipeline. As said, it's not a post-processing solution, but rather requires major, game specific changes. It's not fixed which buffers a game uses for rendering, but that's knowledge required to enable multisampling on them. So no, this won't come.

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 2 months ago #7 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
@SirArthurStreebGreebling
how about downsample/ set a higher res from driver/game setting, then do reshade post process under different scale?

• SirArthurStreebGreebling
More
8 years 2 months ago #8 by SirArthurStreebGreebling Replied by SirArthurStreebGreebling on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games

kingeric1992 wrote: @SirArthurStreebGreebling
how about downsample/ set a higher res from driver/game setting, then do reshade post process under different scale?

Hmm, how do you go about doing this, is it a lot easier on the fps?

Cheers

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #9 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games
just like doing deferred rendering on every effect, and only do fullres in final stage.
now, most of the shader in framework doesn't have that option, but I think the heavier ones like SSAO or DOF does, you can try to set their render scale first.
If otherwise, you would need to manually change the effect scale one by one, some may even require modification on vertex & pixel shader.

the overall process would be
native 1080p --> game in 4k --> reshade AA on 1080p with emulated subpixel feature or AA on 4k
--> reshade postprocess in 1080p --> frame buffer in 4k --> native 1080p

about FPS, the downsampling will take its toll, but should be easier then doing fullres on everything.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by kingeric1992.

• mindu
More
8 years 2 months ago #10 by mindu Replied by mindu on topic Need MSAA, SMAA too weak for some games

kingeric1992 wrote: just like doing deferred rendering on every effect, and only do fullres in final stage.
now, most of the shader in framework doesn't have that option, but I think the heavier ones like SSAO or DOF does, you can try to set their render scale first.
If otherwise, you would need to manually change the effect scale one by one, some may even require modification on vertex & pixel shader.

the overall process would be
native 1080p --> game in 4k --> reshade AA on 1080p with emulated subpixel feature or AA on 4k
--> reshade postprocess in 1080p --> frame buffer in 4k --> native 1080p

about FPS, the downsampling will take its toll, but should be easier then doing fullres on everything.

I've been trying for a long time to do something like that, also there was other thread talking about some tweak with FXAA, and also another thread where MartyMcFly said something about mult ScreenSize for FXAA to do something like "fake downsampling", so I tried BUFFER_WIDTH and HEIGHT *2 (or so) in ScreenSize (I tried with SMAA too) but the result I get is none, whole screen blurry when I increase ScreenSize buffer, I'm probably too stupid to do it properly, so any hint about it? I mean too much people already explained the process but I can't see any example code or screenshot showing the result and I'm pulling my hairs off with this matter :S

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.