A tip for black levels (way to bright)

• Violins77
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #1 by Violins77 A tip for black levels (way to bright) was created by Violins77
I have quite a lot of experience with post process injection, but since the new Reshade suit is out, I have been experimenting with some new ones (basically only used SweetFX before). I so far fell in love with Ambiant Light and FilmicPass, combined to my DPX and HDR usual (plus basic stuff like lift gamma gain and tonemap to adjust).

I get really good results from it, but my black levels and overall brightness on loading screens and shadowed areas are grey and not really black, it's like the effects add a lot of gamma even on the shadows... Do you guys have any way to counter that?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic A tip for black levels (way to bright)
Levels shader, it lets you define a new white/blackpoint. If you set white point to 255, you leave it untouched. Now take a screenshot where you think should be pure black and open it in any image editor, pick the color at the area. If the color is like 16 16 16, set black point to 16. Make sure that in the pipeline, the levels shader is after all other shaders (not sure if you can freely switch SweetFX effects around independant from each other).
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Marty McFly.

• Violins77
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #3 by Violins77 Replied by Violins77 on topic A tip for black levels (way to bright)
Thanks marty! It worked quite well, but it affected more than just the shadows, and gave an overall much darker tone. What I ended up doing was significantly lowering the shadows using lift gama gain, and only the shadows were affected (can't believe I didn't try that before), so my black environment are appropriately black now!

BTW, thank you for all your work in the post processing work, the world is a better place because of people like you. If only I was 1% good as what you are in programming, I would contribute as well!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.