Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #1 by F D B Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette? was created by F D B
Hey everybody!
First of all, excuse me if this isn't the right place to be posting this, but I honestly didn't know where else to put it.

So here's the thing: I'm NOT using Framework. I'm using the lastest ReShade+SweetFX the old fashioned way, by editing the .CFG files.
I only use this for FIFA 16, since I don't play any other games.
My current setup involves:
SweetFX settings: SMAA, FXAA, DPX, LIFTGAMMAGAIN, TONEMAP, VIBRANCE and CURVES.
CustomFX: GAUSS, TUNINGPALETTE to activate CFX_ColorLUTDst (256x16 image) and COLORMOD.

Nothing else.

What I did to edit the LUT was:
1- Take an Ingame Screenshot with all the above settings enables, except of course the TUNINGPALETTE one.
2- Opened that Screenshot in Photoshop, then placed the default/original CFX_ColorLUTDst.png image on a layer on top of that screenshot,and finally edited that image using masks. Basically just HUE/SATURATION.
3- Finally, Saved the new CFX_ColorLUTDst.png with all those changes. And enabled the #define USE_TUNINGPALETTE string in the CustomFX_settings.cfg file.

Again, the texture is a 256x16 image.

This is how the TUNNING PALETTE sector looks like in my file:
#define TuningColorPalette		1 //[0 or 1] ColorPalette
#define TuningColorMap			0 //[0 or 1] ColorMap
#define TuningColorLUT			1 //[0 or 1] ColorLUT
#define TuningPaletteDependency		0 //[0 or 1] 0: PixelColor; 1: PixelBrightness (0 is recommended for the ColorPalette effect)
#define TuningPalettePower		0.100f  //[0 to 1] Strength of the Tuning Palette effect

I don't know if that is right. I want the LUT image I just edited to be fully noticeable. 100%

However, and this is the actual problem: ingame it doesn't look exactly as I see it in Photoshop. Some colors look either brighter or darker, or simply different. Not TOTALLY different, but enough to be noticeable to me.

So there must be something wrong with the procedure I'm following. Or perhaps there's something wrong with how I set up the TuningPalette sector of the CFG file.

I hope you guy can tell me the right way to do this. I want to keep all the settings AND use the CFX_ColorLUTDst.png to achieve the same result I see when I edit the Screenshot within Photoshop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #2 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
OH! BY THE BY!
I read somewhere (I'm sure it was on these boards), that the right method is to have the default texture to be loaded and shown up ingame AND THEN take the screenshot one will edit in photoshop. I don't know if I understood that correctly. And even if I did, I wouldn't know how to do that.

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #3 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
Nobody?

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #4 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
So...
There's not a single soul that can teach me how to load the LUT I created from the Mediator? What to enable, what to disable, the proper values (1.00? 0.100?) in order to see it exactly as I do when I edit the LUT in Photoshop?.

I've search through these boards, on YouTube, on Google... can't find any Tutorial. That's why I'm bothering you, guys!

PLEASE!!

• Kuniyo
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #5 by Kuniyo Replied by Kuniyo on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
Hello F D B,

to use a LUT you have to enable the following:

#define TuningColorLUT 1 //[0:1] //-ColorLUT

Then if you scroll down you will see:

#define TuningColorLUTIntensity 1.00 //[0.00:1.00] //-Intensity of the effect overlay

Leave this to 1.00 if you want to use the effect 100%.

Now for creating the actual LUT file.
In photoshop what you want to do is have at least 2 layers (you can do it anyway you like, this is just to explain it easier):

1. the LUT file which you want to edit
2. a screenshot (I recommend multiple screenshots since you might change a colour that is not present in one of the sreenshots and therefore you won't notice the change until you actually come across that color while playing the game).

then you can start using adjustment layers to get the desired effect (NOTE: not all the effects that you can use in Photoshop can be reflected in a LUT file, I learned this the hard way using Lightroom. For example the setting "Clarity" cannot be reflected in LUT files and will therefore be ignored).

What you want to do is add adjustment layers to change the screenshots to get the desired effect (for example more contrast or de-saturate some areas/colours).
Once you have done that (make sure the adjustments are also applied to the LUT) export the LUT file and put it in the following directory (might be different depending on which Reshade version you are using):
- ReShade\CustomFX\Textures
The default one is:
- ReShade\CustomFX\Textures\CFX_ColorLUTDst.png

Once you've done that, you will have to change the following line in CustomFX.cfg:
#define TuningColorLUTDstTexture "CFX_ColorLUTDst.png" //[undef] //-Needs to have 256x16 pixels

Change the name between the " " to the name you have chosen for the new LUT file, for example:
#define TuningColorLUTDstTexture "FIFA LUT V1.png" //[undef] //-Needs to have 256x16 pixels
(be sure to not remove the quote marks)

And you are done! (don't forget to save!)
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Kuniyo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: F D B

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #6 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
Thank you very much.

Indeed... unforunately, it's impossible to have exactly the same result as in Photoshop. Adjustments like "Levels", "Color Balance", etc doesn't seem to get along with LUTS very well.

Thanks again!

• Kuniyo
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #7 by Kuniyo Replied by Kuniyo on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
You might want to try a bigger LUT file (I'm using 4096x64, a bit overkill but ok :D)

I have been having better results when using Color Balance with a larger file.

I try to not use Levels, but don't let me stop you if that works for you :)
When I do use it, the LUT will give very different results based on monitor's (especially when comparing TN to IPS).

I don't know if it's supposed to work like that (with a larger LUT file) but I'll stick with it since it seems to work a bit better.

If you do decide to try this, don't forget to change this:

#define TuningColorLUTTileAmountX 4096 //[undef] //-LUT Width
#define TuningColorLUTTileAmountY 64 //[undef] //-LUT Height
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Kuniyo. Reason: forgot some information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: F D B

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 week ago #8 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic Proper use of "CFX_ColorLUTDst" LUT/Color Palette?
Sorry to bring this back up but I have a small question regarding LUTs.

How should I save LUT as .DDS (need to save it as .DDS for a specific reason)

These are the available options:

Thanks!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.