3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #61 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
1.7 is now on Git Hub github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D

Left and Right eye Warping.

Here a image of what it should look in game. With max out Depth and Pop option is Back.

Pop now has it's own section.
The new options for pop are.
Pop off
Pop +
Pop ++
Pop +++

Distortion are lower now Since I am distorting Both eyes at around 93% less distortion in the right eye.

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr_spongeworthy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• open_sauce
More
7 years 9 months ago #62 by open_sauce Replied by open_sauce on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
im sry but you are doing that thing what i dont know.....
i dont even know if you want this ..... but can i donate ... 1 bug 4 your projekt... 1 more bug is left 4 reshade 4 shure........ ohhh... when u finish this 4 3.0 ... i need 2 donade the fish ey<e.... ........

.... and a lot of stuff.....

tnx
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight

• mr_spongeworthy
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #63 by mr_spongeworthy Replied by mr_spongeworthy on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Just spent some time playing with the 1.7 version. Looking good overall! I still have some issues; lack of 3D tradeoff with warping / distortion of course. But I am fairly sure there is no way around that without a true 3D solution. So we are stuck with that unless you can work some magic nobody else has ever managed to accomplish.

I'm going to keep playing with it as it progresses and will try adding some comparison pics at some point. I'll wait until at least 1.7.1 as currently I'm on the 1.7 version.

Current observations (again, only in Fallout 4; sometime I'll try some other games I'm sure):

- I seem to get a fair amount of depth up-close, but then it trails off, leaving me with a sort of 3D scene set in front of a (mostly) 2D backdrop set in the background. EDIT: Playing around some more, I found that for me, anything past depth 13 or 14 on the depth slider results in exaggerated depth "right in front of me" and a flatter looking backdrop / remainder of scene. It looks pretty darn good at or around the 13 mark. I'm currently using Depth Map 13, Depth Slider set to 13, and Perspective set to -5. Results are pretty good!
- There are definite "steps" in 3D, rather than smooth transitions between different depths, leading to a "flat object" set in 3D in front of another "flat object", look on occasion.

Again, maybe no way around these issues, as even TriDef has them in Power3D mode to some extent. But those are my observations. As you've said, FO4 seems to be an especially tough nut to crack as well.

It will be nice to see the next version. It just keeps getting better and better.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by mr_spongeworthy.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #64 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

open_sauce wrote: im sry but you are doing that thing what i dont know.....
i dont even know if you want this ..... but can i donate ... 1 bug 4 your projekt... 1 more bug is left 4 reshade 4 shure........ ohhh... when u finish this 4 3.0 ... i need 2 donade the fish ey<e.... ........

.... and a lot of stuff.....

tnx

I'm always open to help. You can make a account on Git Hub and submit your changes when you can.

Also the Fish eye you can submit that as a 2nd Shader so we can test it as well.

For the bug fixes, branch my project and submit your patch. More people working on this will be good.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #65 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

mr_spongeworthy wrote: Just spent some time playing with the 1.7 version. Looking good overall! I still have some issues; lack of 3D tradeoff with warping / distortion of course. But I am fairly sure there is no way around that without a true 3D solution. So we are stuck with that unless you can work some magic nobody else has ever managed to accomplish.

I'm going to keep playing with it as it progresses and will try adding some comparison pics at some point. I'll wait until at least 1.7.1 as currently I'm on the 1.7 version.

Current observations (again, only in Fallout 4; sometime I'll try some other games I'm sure):

- I seem to get a fair amount of depth up-close, but then it trails off, leaving me with a sort of 3D scene set in front of a (mostly) 2D backdrop set in the background. EDIT: Playing around some more, I found that for me, anything past depth 13 or 14 on the depth slider results in exaggerated depth "right in front of me" and a flatter looking backdrop / remainder of scene. It looks pretty darn good at or around the 13 mark. I'm currently using Depth Map 13, Depth Slider set to 13, and Perspective set to -5. Results are pretty good!
- There are definite "steps" in 3D, rather than smooth transitions between different depths, leading to a "flat object" set in 3D in front of another "flat object", look on occasion.

Again, maybe no way around these issues, as even TriDef has them in Power3D mode to some extent. But those are my observations. As you've said, FO4 seems to be an especially tough nut to crack as well.

It will be nice to see the next version. It just keeps getting better and better.

Ya From what I see now I need to rework the Depth Map code....

developer.nvidia.com/content/depth-precision-visualized

I was researching in to depth maps and I think I am going to try the different one s listed here.

glampert.com/2014/01-26/visualizing-the-depth-buffer/ This is the Ideal Depth buffer. If Can get to look like this in all games then we have something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr_spongeworthy

• Proxish
More
7 years 8 months ago #66 by Proxish Replied by Proxish on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Ok, no problem, I'll wait until 1.7.1 :)

I actually don't really understand how to use GitHub myself, so I'll learn the in's and out's over the next week so that I can teach people how to use it, so you don't need to repackage things yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #67 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Proxish wrote: Ok, no problem, I'll wait until 1.7.1 :)

I actually don't really understand how to use GitHub myself, so I'll learn the in's and out's over the next week so that I can teach people how to use it, so you don't need to repackage things yourself.

Ya I had to learn how to use it my self. I had more fear of GitHub then Programming my self. But, there are advantages to working with GitHub. Like right now I just updated my Shader Depth Map Code for Dragon Dogma: Dark Arisen. I didn't have to repackage my update.

So yes to just get my shader all you really need to do is download it. If your looking for a update you just need to go to the page to see if there are any changes.

The Nice thing too it lets people help and contribute to a project as well. Like if some one figures out how to fix a bug or make the program run faster they can do that.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proxish

• crosire
More
7 years 8 months ago #68 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Proxish wrote: I actually don't really understand how to use GitHub myself, so I'll learn the in's and out's over the next week so that I can teach people how to use it, so you don't need to repackage things yourself.

In case you are searching for the download button (and don't want to use Git itself), look at the top right corner below the repository bar:

Just below the download button it says "Last commit <commit hash> <commit date> ago". This way you can check when the last update happened.

• Proxish
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #69 by Proxish Replied by Proxish on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

BlueSkyKnight wrote:

Proxish wrote: Ok, no problem, I'll wait until 1.7.1 :)

Ya I had to learn how to use it my self. I had more fear of GitHub then Programming my self. But, there are advantages to working with GitHub. Like right now I just updated my Shader Depth Map Code for Dragon Dogma: Dark Arisen. I didn't have to repackage my update.

So yes to just get my shader all you really need to do is download it. If your looking for a update you just need to go to the page to see if there are any changes.

The Nice thing too it lets people help and contribute to a project as well. Like if some one figures out how to fix a bug or make the program run faster they can do that.

That all sounds rather handy. I can see why you like using GitHub.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Proxish.

• Proxish
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #70 by Proxish Replied by Proxish on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

crosire wrote:

Proxish wrote: I actually don't really understand how to use GitHub myself, so I'll learn the in's and out's over the next week so that I can teach people how to use it, so you don't need to repackage things yourself.

In case you are searching for the download button (and don't want to use Git itself), look at the top right corner below the repository bar:

Just below the download button it says "Last commit <commit hash> <commit date> ago". This way you can check when the last update happened.

Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it.

When it comes to adding the downloaded program to ReShade, I'm guessing it's just a case of dragging and dropping then which is simple enough.

EDIT: Should I be using ReShade 3.0.0b4, with the SidebySide file dragged into the main folder for that? (GitHub and Reshade are things I've never really used before, so my apologies for all the questions)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Proxish.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #71 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
So I ported Ceejay's Barrel Shader over to reshade 3.0

BL2

Among The sleep

I don't know the Correct distortion values for any of the HMD. If any one can tell me this would be nice. So in the Shader I just left it where it can be adjusted.

Now I am going back to fixing the Depth maps..........
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proxish, mr_spongeworthy

• Kuniyo
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #72 by Kuniyo Replied by Kuniyo on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Hey BlueSkyKnight,

I love what you have done so far, but I have one question, or feedback if you will :)

I tried using the shader and it seems to work great, but I cannot use MXAO (from Marty McFly) with it.
It also uses the depth buffer and I get a strange effect from it.
I think it's not splitting that and I was wondering if it could be fixed? Or would it require Marty Mcfly to alter the MXAO shader?

Here is a picture of the effect:

Dark Version:
MXAO ON:
Warning: Spoiler!

MXAO OFF:

Light Version:
MXAO ON:

MXAO OFF:

I would really love it if I was still able to use it, since it's a big part of my preset for Dark Souls, and I was planning on using it for other games too.

Thanks for all the work you have done! :woohoo:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Kuniyo. Reason: formatting

• crosire
More
7 years 8 months ago #73 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Kuniyo wrote: I tried using the shader and it seems to work great, but I cannot use MXAO (from Marty McFly) with it.

Change the effect order. MXAO has to run before this. To do so, drag the MXAO technique to a place before this effect on the home tab of ReShade 3.0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuniyo, BlueSkyKnight

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #74 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Kuniyo wrote: Hey BlueSkyKnight,

I love what you have done so far, but I have one question, or feedback if you will :)

I tried using the shader and it seems to work great, but I cannot use MXAO (from Marty McFly) with it.
It also uses the depth buffer and I get a strange effect from it.
I think it's not splitting that and I was wondering if it could be fixed? Or would it require Marty Mcfly to alter the MXAO shader?

Here is a picture of the effect:

Dark Version:
MXAO ON:

MXAO OFF:

Light Version:
MXAO ON:

MXAO OFF:

I would really love it if I was still able to use it, since it's a big part of my preset for Dark Souls, and I was planning on using it for other games too.

Thanks for all the work you have done! :woohoo:

I have not Tried any other Shader with mine on 3.0 . But, it Cosire responded with the answer.

Also I wanted to ask you a question. About the depth in Dark Soul 3. Do you care about very distant to have any kind of depth? Because, I ran up in to a limitation. I can have good depth at mid and close range and lose the distant depth details.

If I do that you get a image like this.

Part of the problem is I just can't get the depth map to look good at all distances. I am also limited by the amount of eyes we have lol........ Since with this kind of conversion I am using binocular disparity to make the image look 3D.

This is part of the reason AO makes 3D look better is because It's a other Depth Clue so that our brain uses to understand depth in a scene.

The compromise I am using now is a bit kinder on the eyes as well.

• Kuniyo
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #75 by Kuniyo Replied by Kuniyo on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

crosire wrote: Change the effect order. MXAO has to run before this. To do so, drag the MXAO technique to a place before this effect on the home tab of ReShade 3.0.

:silly: Silly me, I completely forgot about that, and I just read about it the other day! Thanks, will give it a try when I'm home.

BlueSkyKnight wrote: I have not Tried any other Shader with mine on 3.0 . But, it Cosire responded with the answer.

Also I wanted to ask you a question. About the depth in Dark Soul 3. Do you care about very distant to have any kind of depth? Because, I ran up in to a limitation. I can have good depth at mid and close range and lose the distant depth details.

If I do that you get a image like this.
[snip picture]
Part of the problem is I just can't get the depth map to look good at all distances. I am also limited by the amount of eyes we have lol........ Since with this kind of conversion I am using binocular disparity to make the image look 3D.

This is part of the reason AO makes 3D look better is because It's a other Depth Clue so that our brain uses to understand depth in a scene.

The compromise I am using now is a bit kinder on the eyes as well.

[snip picture]

Personally I like the idea of details up close and mid range, and that they lose details from "long" distances, but that's just me, and Dark Souls DOF works like that as well, I usually have it on LOW so the details get a little bit blurred from a long distance.

That said, I don't know how this translates into SBS 3D because I have yet to try it extensively for myself.
I will give it a try when I get my OSVR HDK2, but for the time being I can't really test it, sorry :(
I gave it a try at a friend, but he is on holiday now, so I can't test it any further for now.

Does DOF (ingame setting) still work with this shader? If so, did you have it set on max when testing? Maybe that would cause the blurring in the distance? (sorry, still kinda new to this scene).

I would love to help you further, but without my own HDK2, I don't think I can be of much use right now. (mine is getting shipped on aug 12... :()

EDIT: I doubt this will work with Nvidia 3D Vision? I've read somewhere people managed to run games SBS with that as well, like this shader. (man, I really want that HDK2)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Kuniyo.

• Proxish
More
7 years 8 months ago #76 by Proxish Replied by Proxish on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Could someone please help me out, I've been trying to figure out how to use ReShade 3.0, GitHub and the Depth3D program for days now, and at this point I'm just really frustrated and getting nowhere.

From my understanding of what I'm supposed to do. I need to download the most recent ReShade 3.0, which is ReShade 3.0.0b4. Then I need to head over to the Depth3D GitHub and click "Clone or download" > "Download Zip".

And past that, I have absolutely no idea what to do.The ReShade 3.0.0b4 is just a "Select Game" box. I also have no idea how if or how to open a UI (assuming there is one) in-game after a game has been injected.

I'm also just assuming that I extract the Depth3D file inside the ReShade 3.0.0b4 folder.

I'm trying to get ready to make a tutorial to make this process easier for other people, but I'm just absolutely lost when it comes to ReShade, adding files to it, and Github...

• crosire
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #77 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

Proxish wrote: Could someone please help me out

It's pretty straigh forward once you got the gist of it.

Download ReShade 3.0, extract it, run the setup tool and select the executable of the game you want to install it to. At this point ReShade is installed and ready to go. You can check so by starting the game, there should now be a message at the top of the screen that gives you further instructions (all important functionality of ReShade 3.0 is shown in an onscreen tutorial that follows if you follow that instruction, basically you just need to press the key combination that is highlighted).

To install this effect, you need to download this repository in addition to github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders . The former depends on a file that is part of the latter (ReShade.fxh). Extract both to the same location (doesn't matter where that is) and merge the folders. The only thing left to do now is tell ReShade where those files now are on your computer. To do so, open your game, open the ReShade in-game overlay (you learned how to do that earlier in the tutorial I spoke of), head over to the "Settings" tab and add the folder paths to the two settings "Effect Search Paths" and "Texture Search Paths". Example: Say you extracted the files to "C:\Users\Me\Documents\ReShade" (which therefore now contains two folders "Shaders" and "Textures"), then you'd enter "C:\Users\Me\Documents\ReShade\Shaders" in the first field and "C:\Users\Me\Documents\ReShade\Textures" in the second.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proxish, mr_spongeworthy

• Proxish
More
7 years 8 months ago #78 by Proxish Replied by Proxish on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader

crosire wrote:

Proxish wrote: Could someone please help me out

It's pretty straigh forward once you got the gist of it.

Download ReShade 3.0, extract it, run the setup tool and select the executable of the game you want to install it to. At this point ReShade is installed and ready to go. You can check so by starting the game, there should now be a message at the top of the screen that gives you further instructions (all important functionality of ReShade 3.0 is shown in an onscreen tutorial that follows if you follow that instruction, basically you just need to press the key combination that is highlighted).

To install this effect, you need to download this repository in addition to github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders . The former depends on a file that is part of the latter (ReShade.fxh). Extract both to the same location (doesn't matter where that is) and merge the folders. The only thing left to do now is tell ReShade where those files now are on your computer. To do so, open your game, open the ReShade in-game overlay (you learned how to do that earlier in the tutorial I spoke of), head over to the "Settings" tab and add the folder paths to the two settings "Effect Search Paths" and "Texture Search Paths". Example: Say you extracted the files to "C:\Users\Me\Documents\ReShade" (which therefore now contains two folders "Shaders" and "Textures"), then you'd enter "C:\Users\Me\Documents\ReShade\Shaders" in the first field and "C:\Users\Me\Documents\ReShade\Textures" in the second.

You are an absolute legend, thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #79 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Better Depth Maps = Better 3D.

So I been Working on depth maps The past few days. So far thing are going well. Games that didn't look that good in 3D before now look a lot better.
Here are some pictures on Games that benefit a lot from this.

Shadow Warrior

Lords of the Fallen

The Evil Within Fixed the Issue with close up Depth.

Zombi

Also guess what game on this list.
Took some time but Fallout 4 Now has Alternate Eye Depth Maps

Fallout 4 inside

Fallout 4 outside

Not all Games Have this. For now the names are marked like this in the Read Me File *Game Name* That Have this feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuniyo, mr_spongeworthy

• mr_spongeworthy
More
7 years 8 months ago #80 by mr_spongeworthy Replied by mr_spongeworthy on topic SidebySide 3D Depth Map Based Stereoscopic Shader
Thanks! I'll try it again as soon as you release your next set of updates. (Do you know how work is going migrating other 2.0 shaders to the 3.0 framework? Last time I downloaded there were only a handful of shaders available, and several I use all the time in FO4 were not available yet (ceejay's filmgrain, tonemap, and vibrance, which I use to give FO4 a faded grainy appearance.)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.