HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????

• vladzor
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #1 by vladzor HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ????? was created by vladzor
Hello guys,
I am searching for HUD-Masking shader for reshade 3, like mastereffect

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 6 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Well, I don't know if shaders can communicate with each other. One shader would have to "backup" the image at the very start and one shader that runs after all others would have to apply the mask using the backupped image at the start. Thing is, I have a fancy GUI mask where you can paint the areas with the mouse you want to have masked but I don't know how shaders can communicate so as long as I don't have any info about that, no GUI mask.

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
That's pretty simple to do actually in 3.0 using two techniques. The first technique simply copies the back buffer into a texture. The second technique then uses that texture for masking. Now you only have to move the first technique to the top of the technique list in ReShade's in-game GUI and the second to wherever in the list you want the masking to occur.

• moriz1
More
7 years 6 months ago #4 by moriz1 Replied by moriz1 on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
would this technique allow reshade to completely ignore any UI element, especially variable ones like MMO UIs?

i know that GeDoSaTo allows you to pick exactly which rendering layer to apply its effects, but something like this is probably out of the scope for ReShade.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 6 months ago #5 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Nope, you can only adjust the area onscreen where no effects are applied.

• SiriusHours
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #6 by SiriusHours Replied by SiriusHours on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
just a hypothetical question after reading this.......does that mean green screening would be possible? like ingame, if the game supports a green screen, we could filter out the image?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by SiriusHours.

• Kleio420
More
7 years 6 months ago #7 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
seems like the question everyone keeps beating around the bush about isnt about masking its loading reshade shaders at the correct time to bypass user interfaces generated by games and what is required for such a thing to be done as this im assuming im not expert tho would have to be done per game in some fashion

• Martigen
More
7 years 6 months ago #8 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Since the UI is always the closest element in any game where depth information is available, could it be possible to simply say 'If depth < 1, do not apply shader'?

Wouldn't help games without depth information, but it'd be good for those that do.

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
The GUI is not usually part of the scene depth buffer, so that doesn't work.

• moriz1
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #10 by moriz1 Replied by moriz1 on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
perhaps a setting that forces reshade to only apply post processing to parts of the scene that DOES have depth buffer info?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Marty McFly.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #11 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
ÃŽ accidentally edited your post instead of replying :p
----
That's not the problem: the depth buffer has data even where the GUI is. Say you have a minimap in one corner, the depth buffer does not contain data about the minimap but what's behind. Finding out if depth and color buffer "match" is something our brain is very good at but impossible to do in code. That's why in the GTA V menu you can't see if you're in the menu or not when using AO debug output because depth buffer is same.
UI masking is done in other modifications like ENB / GeDoSaTo by finding the point where the game applies the GUI elements and applying the own effects just before the GUI is created. ReShade can't do that on a generic basis; GeDoSaTo needs hashes specifically selected for the various games, this approach defeats the sense of ReShade being generic. ENB is specifically developed for one game, even one singular patch, so it's hardcoded. Also not applicable for ReShade.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Marty McFly.

• moriz1
More
7 years 6 months ago #12 by moriz1 Replied by moriz1 on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
right, i understand now. i was under the false impression that the UI element would block depth buffer info from anything behind it, where it doesn't do anything of the sort.

i guess a true dynamic UI mask is simply out of scope for reshade to handle, unless some other tool comes along that can inject reshade shaders before the GUI is drawn.

• Martigen
More
7 years 6 months ago #13 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????

Marty McFly wrote: ÃŽ accidentally edited your post instead of replying :p
----
That's not the problem: the depth buffer has data even where the GUI is. Say you have a minimap in one corner, the depth buffer does not contain data about the minimap but what's behind. Finding out if depth and color buffer "match" is something our brain is very good at but impossible to do in code. That's why in the GTA V menu you can't see if you're in the menu or not when using AO debug output because depth buffer is same.
UI masking is done in other modifications like ENB / GeDoSaTo by finding the point where the game applies the GUI elements and applying the own effects just before the GUI is created. ReShade can't do that on a generic basis; GeDoSaTo needs hashes specifically selected for the various games, this approach defeats the sense of ReShade being generic. ENB is specifically developed for one game, even one singular patch, so it's hardcoded. Also not applicable for ReShade.

Thanks for the explanation Marty, that makes sense.

I guess there's one last possibility for this holy grail -- a (shader/technique?) that allows us to breakdown the scene by frame, such that we can determine at what point the UI is applied. Then, use this information to exclude it. It will always be different for every game, but once known, everyone can apply it.

*hopes*

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #14 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
That's not how shaders work. A shader cannot break down a frame. It is applied at some point while that frame is generated and has no information about anything previously done to it. Sorry.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by crosire.

• moriz1
More
7 years 6 months ago #15 by moriz1 Replied by moriz1 on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
@crosire

i vaguely recall that you mentioned something about working on an automatic UI detection method, so that reshade can apply effects before the UI is draw for each frame. is that still happening? or is that actually impossible?

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #16 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Was a plan, but I abandoned it. I don't have plans to add any more major feature to ReShade for a while. I simply do not have the time and stomach in the moment.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 6 months ago #17 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Not even the long requested asm output thing? I remember we talked about that but I don't remember your response :whistle:
However, take your time mate!

• Kleio420
More
7 years 6 months ago #18 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????

crosire wrote: Was a plan, but I abandoned it. I don't have plans to add any more major feature to ReShade for a while. I simply do not have the time and stomach in the moment.

so are you saying that reshade as is is not able to do similar on some games that GeDoSaTo is able to determine where the gui is rendered or just that its to time consuming to be worth looking to much into atm vs other things your time is better spent on ik me and im sure many others are just curious if this is on the back burner possible or not

• F D B
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #19 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Hey!
Sorry to bring this up again, but I thought it might be better to use this instead of creating a new topic for a similar task.

I need to create a mask for the scoreboard and tv logo which I stroked in red for this image.
I've never done this, and I'm struggling to understand how would I go about it.
I want that part to remain untouched, so I can apply DOF to the rest.

Because, otherwise, this is what it looks like:

See how the hud look blurred?

Hope someone can take a minute or two to guide me step by step.
Thank you very much!

BTW: I'm using ReShade through Mediator but I guess I could manage to adapt it if you teach me with some other version too.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by F D B.

• F D B
More
7 years 3 months ago #20 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HUD-Masking for Reshade 3 ?????
Any help?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.