256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)

• matsilagi
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by matsilagi 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others) was created by matsilagi
I had this idea when i saw the Nostalgia function of SweetFX (Oh, you guys can lock that topic if you want btw), is it possible?
Basically it would make the game run on a 256 color palette (loaded via RGB values or a palette file), this could bring a nice oldschool effect to some games.

Here's a example palette from Quake:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #2 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)
I tried to get it but that palette does not make sense to me, could you explain how it works? Light and dark gradients seem to be swapped, some have no gradients at all and there are two different yellow gradients in one palette.

• matsilagi
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #3 by matsilagi Replied by matsilagi on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)

LuciferHawk wrote: I tried to get it but that palette does not make sense to me, could you explain how it works? Light and dark gradients seem to be swapped, some have no gradients at all and there are two different yellow gradients in one palette.

This explains it more or less: quakewiki.org/wiki/Quake_palette

I have a more in-depth explanation of them, gonna see if i can find it.

EDIT: There
This: www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/www.quaddi...glquake-fullbrights/

And this: www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/www.quaddi...glquake-fullbrights/

Altrough they talk a lot about the lightmaps and colormaps, it has palette explanations aswell
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by matsilagi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganossa

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)
Thanks, that is a good explanation, I will see what is possible. :side:

By the way, about me saying it makes no sense::

"It is important that the latter 8 palette rows are "backwards" (light-to-dark instead of dark-to-light). It appears that the ID artists did this for no good reason in the original Quake palette, and the engine programmers were forced to add a hack to accommodate it (along with the comment "the artists made some backwards ranges. sigh")."

:P I will probably swap it myself before implementing a hack!

EDIT::

So I edited the palette real quick and this is actually what you want to use :lol:

I will keep you updated but it should be possible to pretty soon have a fairly simple (but probably also not the most performant) solution ready.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Ganossa.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #5 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)
I guess this is what you are looking for :P

I implemented the algorithm into the WiP tuning palette shader. Here is the result applied to GTA 5, it does indeed look like those old Quake games :)

• matsilagi
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #6 by matsilagi Replied by matsilagi on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)

LuciferHawk wrote: I guess this is what you are looking for :P

I implemented the algorithm into the WiP tuning palette shader. Here is the result applied to GTA 5, it does indeed look like those old Quake games :)

Impressive work! Well Done! I can already feel the Shamblers coming from the image.

EDIT: Is there a way to send a PM or something? Wished i had the .h file for it + Strings to add to the framework, just to do more experiments, since my gaming library is quite large. (I did testing for MasterEffect and early versions of ReShade before, just asking btw :P )
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by matsilagi.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #7 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)

matsilagi wrote: Impressive work! Well Done! I can already feel the Shamblers coming from the image.

EDIT: Is there a way to send a PM or something? Wished i had the .h file for it + Strings to add to the framework, just to do more experiments, since my gaming library is quite large. (I did testing for MasterEffect and early versions of ReShade before, just asking btw :P )

Thanks :side: I am yet putting stuff together but will write you an email to your hotmail account about certain possibilities. However, the entire TuningPalette shader should be ready by tomorrow. By the way, I love the presets and artistic pictures you take :lol:

Here is some more of what the shader can do (and the flexibility I would like it to have)

GTA goes vintage :side:

• matsilagi
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #8 by matsilagi Replied by matsilagi on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)
Oh, ok, thanks for the attention! Looking forward to it.
Also, yeah, i didnt knew it could do all of that. Now we have 2 old-school shader options (This and Nostalgia from SweetFX)

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #9 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic 256 Colors Palette (Quake-Like or others)

matsilagi wrote: Oh, ok, thanks for the attention! Looking forward to it.
Also, yeah, i didnt knew it could do all of that. Now we have 2 old-school shader options (This and Nostalgia from SweetFX)

I am sure this one will also move to the SweetFX suite once CJ had time to review it :)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.