Depth Buffer (MasterEffect) always black screen.

• Radion
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1 by Radion Depth Buffer (MasterEffect) always black screen. was created by Radion
I downloaded the latest MasterEffect. Everytime I enable the depth buffer the screen goes black. The Witcher 3 as well as Dying Light were tested. I made sure the right ReShade was installed (dxgi, 64bit etc.).
What am I doing wrong ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Depth Buffer (MasterEffect) always black screen.
If you look up both games in this table here , you will see that both have a note "Game uses a logarithmic depth buffer.".
This means that the depth output those games deliver is not matching with majority of other games, probably because both have an insane view distance.
The hardware depth buffer is not linear but in order to use it for DOF we need to linearize it (so actual distance to an object is proportional with the depth value). As the output of those games is different than most others, the usual function I use to make the depth data linear outputs weird values that most of the time result in blackscreen.
When using the Framework, you can switch to an alternate linearizing function for such logarithmic depth buffers but MasterEffect doesn't have this function. As I don't continue work on ME anymore (only bugfixes and this hardly qualifies), you will have no other option than using the (way better) Framework.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.