DoF issue with Arkham Knight

• jminternelia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #1 by jminternelia DoF issue with Arkham Knight was created by jminternelia
I'm working on a preset for Arkham Knight. I have one major problem. I can get DoF looking fantastic with Batman, and fantastic in the Batmobile, but never both. The camera changes and I'm not sure if's throwing the depth off or what, but if I have Batman's DoF perfect and I get into the Batmobile, EVERYTHING blurs. So thus I have to change all the settings to accomodate that.

My ? is, is there any workaround for this? Maybe a way to switch DoF settings when switching to batmobile or even when pressing L1 to get in the car?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight
I'm guessing ReShade is unable to find the correct depth buffer when you are in the batmobile. Check the depth output. It should be a black/white representation of the scene.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by crosire.

• jminternelia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by jminternelia Replied by jminternelia on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight
Thanks for the response.

You were correct. All white screen when in batmobile, perfectly find outside of it. Any ideas on how to get reshade to find correct depth buffer?

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight
There is nothing you can do then unfortunately.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by crosire.

• jminternelia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #5 by jminternelia Replied by jminternelia on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight
Update, So I enabled SMAA. Depth buffer works on batmobile...some of the time. As I drive it will do good and then go all white. What would cause that?
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by jminternelia.

• jminternelia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #6 by jminternelia Replied by jminternelia on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight
Well for the time being I found a fix - disabling manual focus. This way when the depth buffer decides its not going to cooperate DoF doesnt overtake the screen. Still keen to know what causes the depth buffer to go empty at random while in batmobile tho..

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight
That's how ReShade works. There are lots of ways games can store depth information and that can change with every frame. So ReShade scans all possible candidates every 30 frames or so and tries to find the best match with the statistics it collected. This gives back the correct depth buffer most of the time, but on some occasions the algorithm fails and you get the wrong one back. This seems to be the case when you drive in the batmobile.

• piltrafus
More
8 years 6 months ago #8 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic DoF issue with Arkham Knight

crosire wrote: ...There are lots of ways games can store depth information and that can change with every frame. So ReShade scans all possible candidates every 30 frames or so and tries to find the best match with the statistics it collected[...]on some occasions the algorithm fails and you get the wrong one back...

Would be possible at all to have a switch for reshade to stop scanning for changes in the way the depth buffer is stored? so if it finds the depth buffer at some point maybe we can press a key so it stops looking for changes? would that solve the problem?

Another possible way to deal with this would be to set an option for "auto" or "manual" depth buffer scan. Auto would be as it is now ( described by crosire above). For manual an specific mode for depth buffer scanning should be manually set in reshade.fx.

I'm aware it may not make any sense. Just throwing a suggestion.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.