AO - close to camera issue

• Insomnia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by Insomnia AO - close to camera issue was created by Insomnia
Hey all!

In Elite Dangerous, I have just added SSAO. It works, sort of. But very close to the camera the AO creates a pitch black effect which kinda ruins the play from cockpit. External view works great, and past the cockpit it works good as well.
I've fiddled with the settings here and there but most of the time I have no clue what I'm even doing lol.

Settings:

#define USE_AMBIENTOCCLUSION 1 //[SSAO] //-Ambient Occlusion: Enables physically incorrect shading that most newer gen games use. Multiple algorithms available.

//>Global Parameters<\\
#define AO_METHOD 1 //[1:6] //-No description given
#define AO_TEXSCALE 0.80 //[0.25:1.00] //-Scale of AO resolution, 1.0 means fullscreen. Lower resolution means less pixels to process and more performance but also less quality.
#define AO_SHARPNESS 0.20 //[0.05:2.00] //-No description given
#define AO_SHARPNESS_DETECT 2 //[1:2] //-AO must not blur over object edges. 1 : edge detection by depth (old) 2 : edge detection by normal (new). 2 is better but produces some black outlines.
#define AO_BLUR_STEPS 10 //[5:15] //-Offset count for AO smoothening. Higher means more smooth AO but also blurrier AO.
#define AO_DEBUG 1 //[0:2] //-No description given
#define AO_LUMINANCE_CONSIDERATION 0 //[0:1] //-No description given
#define AO_LUMINANCE_LOWER 0.3 //[0.0:1.0] //-No description given
#define AO_LUMINANCE_UPPER 0.6 //[0.0:1.0] //-No description given

// I have tried tweaking this back and forth but nothing happens.
#define AO_FADE_START 1.00 //[0.00:1.00] //-Distance from camera where AO starts to fade out. 0.0 means camera itself, 1.0 means infinite distance.

//>Global Parameters<\\
#define AO_FADE_END 0.950 //[0.00:1.00] //-Distance from camera where AO fades out completely. 0.0 means camera itself, 1.0 means infinite distance.
#define AO_ToggleKey RFX_ToggleKey //[undef] //-

//>SSAO Settings<\\
#define iSSAOSamples 24 //[16:128] //-Amount of samples. Don't set too high or shader compilation time goes through the roof.
#define fSSAOSamplingRange 35.0 //[10.0:50.0] //-SSAO sampling range. High range values might need more samples so raise both.
#define fSSAODarkeningAmount 1.0 //[0.0:5.0] //-Amount of SSAO corner darkening
#define fSSAOBrighteningAmount 0.5 //[0.0:5.0] //-Amount of SSAO edge brightening

I'd love to use AO in cockpit view so I would be grateful to any assistance. :)
Game seems to be using Log Depth.

Pics:
As you can see there is a small part of the cockpit that isn't affected by the "issue", but rotating the camera around the cockpit will move the unaffected part.

THANKS!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Insomnia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic AO - close to camera issue
These are depth buffer issues. GTASA for instance has the problem.that the depth buffer seems to be curved when you move the camera close to an object so the AO radius for all objects is heavily lowered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Insomnia

• Insomnia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by Insomnia Replied by Insomnia on topic AO - close to camera issue
Thanks Marty!
I guess you guys can add Elite: Dangerous to the game list. It uses a logarithmic depth buffer. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty McFly

• Insomnia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by Insomnia Replied by Insomnia on topic AO - close to camera issue
I was thinking... Would it be possible to add some sort of start distance of the effect? Will that help with these issues? :)

• Insomnia
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #5 by Insomnia Replied by Insomnia on topic AO - close to camera issue
Just to give a quick update...
The issue only happens with the SSAO shader method. The other methods works just fine. :)
Cheers!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.