No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #1 by Phil No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ? was created by Phil
if i try to activate DOF nothin happens. when i am aktivate depthbuffer-output, the whole screen is white. has battlefield empty depthbuffer ??

tried out: reshade 0.12.0 and 0.15

games tab says...bf4 should work perfect... :(
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jmp909
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #2 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
you need to disable MSAA for DOF to work. this is raised elsewhere in the forums

not sure if there's a specific option in BF4 to do this.

remember the games tab is for ReShade not MasterEffect; ME is built on ReShade, but it is not the same thing.

(although theoretically you are right, the other compatibility notes mention disabling AA for depth-buffer access... probably needs testing and updating)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by jmp909.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #3 by Phil Replied by Phil on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
it happens with disabled msaa and fxaa too. maybe its an windows 8 issue? because in sweetfx...smaa isnt working with windows 8.1 ..but works with win7.

• Ioxa
More
9 years 1 month ago #4 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
I'm pretty sure depth buffer access is disabled in online games, so if you're trying to play online that is most likely the problem. I don't know if that would apply to playing the campaign though. I think if ReShade detects any network activity with the game it shuts off the depth buffer.

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #5 by Phil Replied by Phil on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
sadly, it doesnt work too, if i start battlefield 4 campaign in offline mode and without network connection :(

• aufkrawall
More
9 years 1 month ago #6 by aufkrawall Replied by aufkrawall on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
Is depth buffer access in general disabled in online games, or just the button-visualization?

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?

aufkrawall wrote: Is depth buffer access in general disabled in online games, or just the button-visualization?

It's fully disabled, wouldn't make much sense otherwise. But it's only disabled if actually playing multiplayer a there thus thus is network activity. It should work fine in the campain. Compatibility list says it works, but that's for 0.12, so I don't know if something broke it since then (you are sure MSAA is fully disabled?).

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #8 by Phil Replied by Phil on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
i have tried all possibilitys, with msaa off and on, fxaa off and on ...both together on and off.
also i tried out reshade 0.12 and 0.15.

Maybe its a windwos 8.1 issue? aslong as smaa (sweetfx) didnt work with windows 8.1

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
It's definitly no Windows 8.1 issue. ReShade is fully compatible with Windows 8.1, I made sure of that.
Maybe the compatibility list is wrong, I don't personally own Battlefield 4, so I can't verify myself =)

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #10 by Phil Replied by Phil on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
ok thank you..maybe another one can verify this.

• SAM609
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #11 by SAM609 Replied by SAM609 on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
you need to be connected to origin and battlelog in order to play BF4 campaign , so because of that ReShade identify the game as multiplayer and prevents the depth buffer access to work ! if you use a modified EXE (which doesn't need the game to be connected to internet at all to play campaign) the depth buffer access function works perfectly fine ! :)

Edit : To be honest I only tried this in BF3 and it worked , but seems that it's not working in BF4 ! So I guess it's safe to say that the depth buffer access doesn't work in BF4 at all ! :whistle:
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by SAM609.

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #12 by Phil Replied by Phil on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
thx for reply, i will try it with a modified exe. but i have tried it also without internet-connection and origin-offline mode. seems to be not ehough^^
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by crosire. Reason: Removed problematic information

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #13 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
ReShade is able to differentiate between "connected to internet" and "actually doing multiplayer stuff". In WarThunder depth access is enabled during the main menu for instance (although you can chat there, search for servers etc.), but disabled as soon as you joined a multiplayer match.

• Phil
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #14 by Phil Replied by Phil on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?

SAM609 wrote: you need to be connected to origin and battlelog in order to play BF4 campaign , so because of that ReShade identify the game as multiplayer and prevents the depth buffer access to work ! if you use a modified EXE (which doesn't need the game to be connected to internet at all to play campaign) the depth buffer access function works perfectly fine ! :)

could you send me a pm, cause of the modified exe i need? i havent found one, for the actually build :(

OT: what about SMAA? Does SMAA needs to have access to depthbuffer? and does it work in reshade 0.15 or is it an upcomng feature?

thx in advance
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Phil.

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #15 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
SMAA doesn't need depth access, no (unless you want to use its depth edge detection algorithm). Both SweetFX and MasterEffect have it, so just toggle it on and you're done =).

• aufkrawall
More
9 years 1 month ago #16 by aufkrawall Replied by aufkrawall on topic No Depth information in Battlefield 4 ?
In BF4, I'd rather go with the in-game FXAA set to high and then use a little Lumasharpen.
Foliage looks much better with this compared to inject SMAA to my eyes.
But aliasing detection of course can't cope with SMAA in other cases, like strong contrasts.

If you have enough GPU horsepower, enabling MSAA (and TrSSAA/AAA in the driver) will give you a neat result with sharpened FXAA.
At least apart from specular and ambient occlusion aliasing.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.