How to get Depth of Field to work

• Thranduil
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by Thranduil How to get Depth of Field to work was created by Thranduil
Hi,

I have been messing around with the Depth of Field settings for ages, using any combination you could dream of, and trying with both manual focus on and off, but I cannot for the life of me acheive a depth of field where my character in game is in focus and the background in out of focus.
All I have been able to achieve is to blur out my entire game screen.
I have tested this on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Mount and Blade: Warband and The Witcher III Wild Hunt all with the same results.
Can someone please enlighten me as to what I need to do to acheive what I'm looking for.
Here is an example of what kind of DOF I'm looking to Achieve:
www.nexusmods.com/Images/110/451830-1404092292.jpg

P.S I have tried using both the MasterEffect and the compiled shaders packaged with the Reshade + Framework Download.

I'd appreciate any help :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #2 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
i would also like to know how to get the DOF to work similar to how DOF works in ENB series for Skyrim. if the screenshot posted by Thranduil is what Reshade considers DOF, would argue this is nothing more than another glorified Blur, i don't get how this can ever qualifiy as DOF, but this is why i am asking, just unclear as to what Reshade is capable of. i know what DOF is and this doesn't seem to be DOF. but again i don't know.

Typically, DOF behaves in such a way that any object that is direct line of sight straight ahead and in the center of the screen remains in focus while everything else becomes unfocused, usually this is something that occurs in real time where your view mimics that of a camera that is constantly focusing and unfocusing as you look and pan around the characters view.

I am not seeing any of that in Reshade, so my question is, is this implied and expected behavior that DOF post processing is known for not implemented this way in Reshade?

if yes, what are the values you would use to achieve this type of effect?
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Redtango.

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #3 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
in addition to the above question, specifically want to know how to lower the DOF so that the HUD UI elements of my game are not affected? Because, as of now, its either affecting the whole picture or its just off. i increased NEARBLURCURVE as suggested in the forums and all does is removes DOF every where else too.

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 10 months ago #4 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
Any particular game you are referring to?
Judging by your description, depth buffer is probably bugged or unsupported in the game.

Also instead of making some vague statement, just go straight forward like:
" my ... is ..., is that normal ?" or " how to ...?"

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #5 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

kingeric1992 wrote: Also instead of making some vague statement, just go straight forward like:
" my ... is ..., is that normal ?" or " how to ...?"

uh, what?ironically you provided no example for my supposed vagueness. i'm really not sure where that is coming from. i am being as direct and as clear as i know how, while providing what i think is the relevant background information needed for someone to help me. sorry? is there something specific that you didn't get? if you think that is not necessary, simply, do not read or don't post for all i care.no one is forcing you to read it and i am certainly not going to sit here and tell you how to post.

back on topic:
the thing is i am searching to an extent on these boards and i have noticed the same question/s about DOF asked a bunch of times and not a lot of answers. someone asks the question and then someone else comes along and posts a link to the mastereffects download and that's it . So i really do not see how, "what game" im trying it with has any relevance beyond wether it is supported or not. so i am rephrasing the questions in this thread seeing that there hasn't been an answer provided yet. i am giving specific examples of what i expected to see from DOF based on my experience with other games and other mods specifically ENB + Skyrim which has very Cinematic DOF.

Can reshade accomplish this? that would be my question, not sure how much more direct i can be.

as for the game in question, i am trying to get DOF to work with assassins creed unity. now if this game isnt supported well then that is that, but i really don't know what to expect from reshade. all i know is, what i have seen so far from reshade, i wouldnt exactly call it DOF.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

Redtango wrote: Can reshade accomplish this? that would be my question, not sure how much more direct i can be.

In theory yes.
But ReShade is only the injector, to achieve this DOF one needs to write a shader which does the DOF the way you want it to be. This is no different from ENB for that matter, only that it comes with a bunch of shaders out of the box. I don't know if the exact DOF shaders you are talking about was ported to ReShade so far, if it was, great, if not, you'd either have to port it yourself, ask somebody else to do that (that's what the shader suggestion forum is for =) ) or use one of the multiple other DOF shaders that are already available (MasterEffect or Framework contain a bunch, just play around with them until you find the one that suits your look best). ReShade doesn't force you to use a particular look, that's the beauty of it, you can always write a different shader so it works to your likings.

By ENB's cinematic DOF you might refer to GP65CJ042's bokeh DOF, which luckily was ported to ReShade already (the picture you are refering to uses a DOF method without bokeh, which thus looks rather dull in comparison, but it's still as DOF as the cinematic one is, just looks different).It's part of the Framework shaderpack (to enable, open up ReShade/McFX_settings.cfg and set USE_DEPTHOFFIELD to 1 and DOF_METHOD to 4). And since you want to do it in Assassin's Creed Unity you also have to open ReShade/Common_settings.cfg and set RFX_LogDepth to 1.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by crosire.

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 10 months ago #7 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
@Redtango

Just saying, here is what you get from your direct question

crosire wrote: In theory yes.
But ReShade is only the injector, to achieve this DOF one needs to write a shader which does the DOF the way you want it to be. This is no different from ENB for that matter, only that it comes with a bunch of shaders out of the box. I don't know if the exact DOF shaders you are talking about was ported to ReShade so far, if it was, great, if not, you'd either have to port it yourself, ask somebody else to do that (that's what the shader suggestion forum is for =) ) or use one of the multiple other DOF shaders that are already available (MasterEffect or Framework contain a bunch, just play around with them until you find the one that suits your look best). ReShade doesn't force you to use a particular look, that's the beauty of it, you can always write a different shader so it works to your likings.

By ENB's cinematic DOF you might refer to GP65CJ042's bokeh DOF, which luckily was ported to ReShade already (the picture you are refering to uses a DOF method without bokeh, which thus looks rather dull in comparison, but it's still as DOF as the cinematic one is, just looks different).It's part of the Framework shaderpack (to enable, open up ReShade/McFX_settings.cfg and set USE_DEPTHOFFIELD to 1 and DOF_METHOD to 4).

And to actually fix your problem.

Redtango wrote: ...i am trying to get DOF to work with assassins creed unity....

crosire wrote: ...since you want to do it in Assassin's Creed Unity you also have to open ReShade/Common_settings.cfg and set RFX_LogDepth to 1.

Not sure what you are raging for, I just saved you tones of post arguing with others on how DOF should work and how Reshade's DOF isn't DOF.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #8 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

kingeric1992 wrote: how Reshade's DOF isn't DOF.

Which is bullshit =). There is no "ReShade DOF". There are tons of different DOF methods you can use with ReShade, each looking different from each other.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonHortman

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 10 months ago #9 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
"More cinematic" and "not real" dof?... Maybe you just need to spend some more time on it. :cheer:
Find out if your game has a logarithmic depth buffer ( Like Witcher III and GTA V) and set your shader configs accordingly.
Set you game to bordered windowed mode at a small resolution and experiment with the DOF by setting each setting to extremes to see exactly what each setting does.
Remember also to set you focus point accordingly to the game. Like a FPS for example, I set the focus point just above the iron sights.

The DOF works perfectly fine to me.

[img
Witcher III: Wild Hunt by Brandon Hortman , on Flickr

[img
Witcher III: Wild Hunt by Brandon Hortman , on Flickr

[img
DragonAgeInquisition 2015-04-29 15-58-53 by Brandon Hortman , on Flickr

[img
DA:I 4K The Fade by Brandon Hortman , on Flickr

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 10 months ago #10 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
@crosire
I know, I'm just quoting Redtango.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

• xfechx
More
8 years 10 months ago #11 by xfechx Replied by xfechx on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
Hello,

I am having similar issues with DOF in Psychonauts. I can only get the blur on the whole screen, but not on focusing on the character or camera.

Any help would be appreciated, on how to configure it to work with this game.

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago #12 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

crosire wrote:

In theory yes.
[/quote]
thanks crosire, that sounds promising at least. i have been playing around with those settings before making my post. but i have nothing to show for my efforts.

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago #13 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

xfechx wrote: Hello,

I am having similar issues with DOF in Psychonauts. I can only get the blur on the whole screen, but not on focusing on the character or camera.

thanks for posting and sharing. in a nutshell that's my issue too

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #14 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

BrandonHortman wrote: "More cinematic" and "not real" dof?... Maybe you just need to spend some more time on it.

The DOF works perfectly fine to me.

do you mind telling the rest of the world how to do this in reshade or is this going to remain top secret. is that ingame, there is no HUD? looks like screenshot from a cutscene. i took a screeshot during a cutscene too and this is what level DOF i was hoping to achieve in reshade, i would even want to go a little bit stronger too i think, i dunno.

but so far all i have managed to do after hours or researching and tweaking is this

is this level of quality of DOF not happening using reshade, is it just a pipedream? should i just give up on this or what.

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #15 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

crosire wrote: In theory yes.
........you also have to open ReShade/Common_settings.cfg and set RFX_LogDepth to 1.

doesn't work. image looks normal with no DOF

when i set RFX_LogDepth to 1 it removes all DOF effects on the image

• Redtango
More
8 years 10 months ago #16 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
i figured i might get some help in the troubleshoot section, but i tried all the suggestions, i guess no one knows how, fair enough.

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 10 months ago #17 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic How to get Depth of Field to work
First rule of screenshots "No cut screens ever" :cheer:
Thats all in game, hud removed with DA:I tools or the Console.
I can tell you are trying to use Matso:

define DOF_METHOD 4 //[1 to 4] Set DOF type
#define DOF_FOCUSPOINT float2(0.5,0.4) //[0.0 to 1.0] Screen coordinates of focus point. <
Important
#define DOF_NEARBLURCURVE 9999999 //[0.4 to X] Power of blur of closer-than-focus areas. ( Dont use this right now)
#define DOF_FARBLURCURVE 2.5 //[0.4 to X] Set this as the point in which the blur starts
#define DOF_BLURRADIUS 13.0 //[5.0 to 50.0] amount of blur
#define DOF_MANUALFOCUS 0 //[0 or 1] Enables manual focus. <

//DEPTH OF FIELD - MATSO DOF
#define fMatsoDOFBokehCurve 8.0 //[0.5 to 20.0] Bokeh curve. <---- Amount of shinny polygons in background. You can see in my Dragon Age pictures I raised this a lot to get that certain look. It will blow out white lights when affected by the blur.
#define fMatsoDOFBokehLight 0.012 //[0.0 to 2.0] Bokeh brightening factor.
#define iMatsoDOFBokehQuality 2 //[1 to 10] Blur quality as control value over tap count.
#define fMatsoDOFBokehAngle 0 //[0 to 360] Rotation angle of bokeh shape.

It really already says this stuff in the cfg files.

• Redtango
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #18 by Redtango Replied by Redtango on topic How to get Depth of Field to work

BrandonHortman wrote: First rule of screenshots "No cut screens ever" :cheer:

:dry: sigh... it is an example of what i am wanting to achieve with DOF and Assassins Creed Unity and now Syndicate, can you not understand that, surely that would be the exception to the rule.

so looks like reshade simply cannot/not capable of DOF in AC games using the anvil game engine. i get perfect DOF effects in the witcher 3 wild hunt but it simply doesn't work in any Assassins Creed games i tried on. Any plans on better support for a wider range of games?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Redtango.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.