GRIM DAWN [Text distortion caused by SMAA or FXAA]

• pr0cesor
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #1 by pr0cesor GRIM DAWN [Text distortion caused by SMAA or FXAA] was created by pr0cesor
Hello,

I am trying to make my own SweetFx settings for the game Grim Dawn. The problem is that I want to use SMAA or FXAA on my SweetFx but after applying those settings the texts in the game are distorted. I suspected that Lumasharpen was causing this but when I disabled everything one by one turned out that it is cause by SMAA or FXAA. So here are the screenshots comparing everything with SMAA, FXAA and without them.

#SweetFX Disabled

i.imgur.com/JgXitig.jpg
i.imgur.com/WeDwBSN.jpg

#SMAA only ON

i.imgur.com/iTz39Yi.jpg
i.imgur.com/xNCF0m4.jpg

#FXAA only ON

i.imgur.com/gsNBnSX.jpg
i.imgur.com/ABsQ2Fq.jpg

#SMAA and FXAA ON

i.imgur.com/aja5CAB.jpg
i.imgur.com/vNEtHJa.jpg

1. As you see the text even is worse when SMAA and FXAA combined together.
2. The text on the game still looks fine with FXAA only. SMAA kinda distord everything (I played around with the numbers in the settings but nothing)

Here are my SMAA and FXAA settings:
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD              0.08  //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
#define SMAA_DEPTH_THRESHOLD        0.001 //[0.001 to 0.100] Depth edge detection threshold. Same as above but for the depth edge detection. This can go insanely low and still look good.
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS         98  //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG    16  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING           0  //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define SMAA_EDGE_DETECTION            1  //[1|2|3] 1 = Luma edge detection, 2 = Color edge detection, 3 = Depth edge detection
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND     0  //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
                                          //Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.

// -- SMAA Predication settings --
#define SMAA_PREDICATION               0  //[0 or 1] Enables predication which uses BOTH the color and the depth texture for edge detection to more accurately detect edges.
#define SMAA_PREDICATION_THRESHOLD 0.001  // Threshold to be used in the depth buffer.                                      
#define SMAA_PREDICATION_SCALE       2.0  // How much to scale the global threshold used for luma or color edge detection when using predication
#define SMAA_PREDICATION_STRENGTH    0.4  // How much to locally decrease the threshold.

// -- Debug SMAA settings --
#define SMAA_DEBUG_OUTPUT             0  //[0 to 4] 0 = Normal, 1 = edgesTex, 2 = blendTex, 3 = areaTex, 4 = searchTex - Only for troubleshooting. Users don't need to mess with this. 

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                  FXAA Anti-aliasing settings                /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET          9  //[1 to 9] Choose the quality preset. 9 is the highest quality.
#define fxaa_Subpix               0.001  //[0.000 to 1.000] Choose the amount of sub-pixel aliasing removal. Higher values makes the image softer/blurrier.
#define fxaa_EdgeThreshold        0.066  //[0.000 to 1.000] Edge detection threshold. The minimum amount of local contrast required to apply algorithm. Similar to SMAA_THRESHOLD
#define fxaa_EdgeThresholdMin     0.000  //[0.000 to 1.000] Darkness threshold. Pixels darker than this are not processed in order to increase performance.

Is there a way to use SMAA without any text distortion ? I heard SMAA is way better than FXAA and also I heard that when you combine these two in the SweetFX and disabling the FXAA from nVidia itself or from the game the performance also is very good.

I would like really to use SMAA at least in my SweetFX for a better performance. Please help.

Best regards.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by pr0cesor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kleio420
More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic GRIM DAWN [Text distortion caused by SMAA or FXAA]

pr0cesor wrote: Hello,

I am trying to make my own SweetFx settings for the game Grim Dawn. The problem is that I want to use SMAA or FXAA on my SweetFx but after applying those settings the texts in the game are distorted. I suspected that Lumasharpen was causing this but when I disabled everything one by one turned out that it is cause by SMAA or FXAA. So here are the screenshots comparing everything with SMAA, FXAA and without them.

#SweetFX Disabled

i.imgur.com/JgXitig.jpg
i.imgur.com/WeDwBSN.jpg

#SMAA only ON

i.imgur.com/iTz39Yi.jpg
i.imgur.com/xNCF0m4.jpg

#FXAA only ON

i.imgur.com/gsNBnSX.jpg
i.imgur.com/ABsQ2Fq.jpg

#SMAA and FXAA ON

i.imgur.com/aja5CAB.jpg
i.imgur.com/vNEtHJa.jpg

ds.

All anti aliasing blur edges in one way or another, work around find a way to run reshade prior to when UI elements are used. If there were a thread describing a little about what is what and how the can possible negativly effect each other or effect in game elements this would go a long way to helping average joe figure out some basic troubleshooting of whats wrong, no offense pr0cesor. I could go on and on about some other issues i know for fact will never be fixed on this project but i wont, maybe i should undertake a project with no clear objective and call it a generic program that sorta does somethings but not very well , enb in this regard is years ahead of anything a end user could use it for and it really only works on a select few games its getting to become pathetic i keep reading posts like this and i feel bad about the poster its confusing to come into something being passed as generic when its confusing as hell to look at

• Constantine PC
More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic GRIM DAWN [Text distortion caused by SMAA or FXAA]
If the game has depth buffer access you can use Depth Edge detection and I'm pretty sure that effects text far less. (might even not effect it, but it also needs more strength)

PPAA blurring of text is pretty common. The hud gets drawn first, then the AA tries to clear up jaggies. Unfortunately that means the text gets AA'd.

You can also use hudmask to prevent effects from being applied to certain things like the minimap as long as its static.

The work-around game developers do is have the PPAA clear up jaggies first, then the hud gets drawn.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.