Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1 by Sh1nRa358 Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options was created by Sh1nRa358
Is it possible that vsync and anisotropic filtering be added in the shader? More like, can you make a setting that will turn on vync or AF in your graphics card's control panel while the game is on without users having to keep going in the nvidia control panel or amd control panel to do so? This will be very convenient and is more accessible if it is done through here instead of nvidia's shoddy control panel. The settings there don't even keep your settings most of the time when you upgrade drivers. I ask this because newer pc games like Koei arent even including vsync in there graphical options anymore for some reason and some games need AF alot that don't have the option in their graphical options.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Sh1nRa358.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options
No, this isn't possible. The driver settings are applied on driver level, that's the level after Direct3D/OpenGL. ReShade has no access to it:

Game => ReShade => Direct3D/OpenGL => Driver => GPU

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options
So gedosato is on the driver level? If not, how are they able to do it?
What about turning them on via commandline code like an autohotkey script does or something? Or registry entry?
Or do you think it's too messy to do it that way?

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options
I didn't say it is impossible to change VSync or aniostropic filtering options, I said it is impossible to turn it on/off in the driver panel (they operate on different levels). VSync forcing has been requested multiple times already, and the answer is the same each time: ReShade forced VSync for this in the past, but it caused issues in some games, so it was removed and there are no plans currently to add it back (because it can be forced through the driver too, which works on a deeper level (as mentioned) and thus means less trouble).

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #5 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options
I did a forum search and this is the only thing I saw:

crosire wrote:

lowenz wrote: The possibility the enable/disable V-Sync directly through ReShade!

Out of curiosity, why would you need that? =) At least the NVIDIA driver panel (and I think AMDs too) allow you to force V-Sync, so where's the benefit doing so through ReShade?
I could implement it for D3D10+ and OpenGL where this can be tweaked on the fly, but for D3D9 it has to be done before shaders are loaded, so no way to add a config option (as all ReShade configuration is also done through the shader). Doesn't mean it won't make it into ReShade in the future, but right now ...

What issues does it cause? Did those problems occur on games that already had vsync within them?

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options
Sorry, I mixed things up. It was tripple buffering that had a few problems.
Anyway, you found the post explaining why there is no vsync toggle, that hasn't changed. =)

• JBeckman
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #7 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Vsync and Anisotropic Filtering Options
From how it sounds GeDoSaTo applies it's AF and VSync options as it's initialized or hooks into the games memory but while the same could be possible in ReShade there's a few limitations depending on the API and you would not be able to just switch it by editing the config files as you currently can with the shaders and in most cases since AF, Vsync and Triple-buffering can be (mostly*) forced via the display driver settings there's no pressing need to have these options in ReShade.
(*AMD is a bit of a problem since they seem to follow some guideline in how triple buffering and vsync should be handled by the application so forcing these via the CCC only applies to OpenGL, AF however can be forced and on newer GPU's it doesn't really have that much of a performance impact while greatly improving distant texture detail so I usually always leave it on 16x though now and again a game comes out that doesn't completely work with this such as IDTech5 games due to MegaTexture although driver profiles when available generally solve this by ensuring AF can't be forced in these games though this relies on having a profile ready and as such keeping the driver up to date as new games are released, or at least that's how it should be but it can take time before a profile is created depending on various circumstances so stuff like driver compatibility, SLI and Crossfire optimizations and the like could take from a few weeks to several months at worst, unfortunately.)

EDIT: Would of course be nice to have more options but ReShade is for shaders and adding more features might just make it more complicated or how to say. :D
(Both for end-users and the actual code maintenance required to keep things compatible and working across a wide range of different graphics API's and all that stuff.)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JBeckman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.