Multiplayer Game Whitelisting

• ShoterXX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1 by ShoterXX Multiplayer Game Whitelisting was created by ShoterXX
As I just added in the compatibility thread:

ShoterXX wrote: Game Name: Phantasy Star Online 2
Game Executable: pso2.exe
API Hook: ddraw.dll [D3D9] (ReShade32.dll)
Depth Buffer Access: Minor Hud Transparency issues, but turns on/off a lot during gameplay due to ReShade's own hack protection.
Reshade Version: 1.1.0, 2.0, 2.0.1

Notes: Renaming from d3d9.dll to ddraw.dll allowed it to pass GameGuard checks.

And as stated by Crosire:

crosire wrote: As stated on the home page, depth access is disabled during multiplayer to prevent exploitation and that means DOF and AO won't work.

I understand that could be an issue. But my point is that some games will hardly get any meaningful exploitation out of ReShade (like PSO2), yet they would benefit quite a lot from it, since, in PSO2's case, it's a 4-year-old game with an even older engine. Is it possible (and are you willing) to whitelist certain games so that they can get depth access even when the game is multiplayer?
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by ShoterXX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 1 month ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Multiplayer Game Whitelisting
But who am I to judge which games can and cannot be exploited? It's better to just block them all, because I don't risk accidently whitelisting a game where it shouldn't have happened.

• roxahris
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #3 by roxahris Replied by roxahris on topic Multiplayer Game Whitelisting
Why not just maintain a blacklist instead? Unlike "can this be exploited or not", you can objectively answer whether a game is exploited or competitive or not and block it with new releases. I've yet to see any actual exploits be pulled off with just access to the depth and colour buffers in a game outside of the old "smoke grenade is an alpha particle that isn't drawn to the depth buffer" thing that is only a problem in competitive FPS.

• crosire
More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Multiplayer Game Whitelisting
That's worse. It's easy to go back to an earlier version which did not blacklist the game yet. Here's an example of what you can do with depth access, apart from the problem you mentioned yourself: reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/684...t-outline-shader-por .

It has been discussed multiple times before and won't change. Reshade blocks depth access during multi-player, period. This way anti-cheat software does not have to move ReShade to their blacklists (some unofficially whitelist Reshade and I would like to keep it that way).
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by crosire.

• OtisInf
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #5 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Multiplayer Game Whitelisting
Just curious (not a beg to change it), why is this cheating exactly? I couldn't really find the answer to that in the thread you linked to. Just because there are lines around elements doesn't make it easier to hit things, as the people you can shoot are equal to elements of the environment. *Changes* in the elements however are helpful for highlighting out (as a wall doesn't move, but an enemy might), but for that a depth buffer isn't required.

Again, I'm just curious. If you have a link to an explanation, that would be great. I couldn't think of a reason why a depth buffer specifically would be needed for cheating... Thanks!

• ShoterXX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 weeks ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #6 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Multiplayer Game Whitelisting
It's not "needed" for cheating, but it might make it easier.
The thread was simply showing how it could be used to detect objects you're aiming at by reading the depth buffer. It's pretty easy to make a auto-aim function out of it (get target center, then add fake mouse input). Even if it has about 50% accuracy (yeah, I threw a random number in there), a passive auto-aim hack can still be pretty useful.

Then again, I don't know how difficult it is to get info from ReShade. Or does it allow to mess with input?
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by ShoterXX.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.