Automatically disable dof when there is no depth

• themaxmeister
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #1 by themaxmeister Automatically disable dof when there is no depth was created by themaxmeister
Hey guys, this feature may have been suggested in the past, but I didn't find anything about it. Here's a problem I often encounter that I believe could be solved fairly easily.

When the dof is manually configured, menus and other 2d only elements are blurred (to be expected). I know there's not much that can be done about that (although more on that in a sec), but my main problem is with in-between-gameplay screens, like a mission complete screen or something like that. Obviously, it's not too difficult to turn reshade off to navigate those menus, but I keep forgetting to turn it back on, and it's a hassle.

Wouldn't it be possible to automatically disable dof when there's is no depth information at all (or it's full, whatever)? I would also suggest a 1-2 second delay so that it doesn't turn off during gameplay by accident (if looking at a wall or something, though I doubt that would happen much, if at all). As for during gameplay, wouldn't it also be possible to fix hud blurring by excluding elements that are 100% black/close? I imagine it wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it might work for a surprising amount of situations.

Anyway, just my two cents!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elimina
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #2 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Automatically disable dof when there is no depth

themaxmeister wrote: Hey guys, this feature may have been suggested in the past, but I didn't find anything about it. Here's a problem I often encounter that I believe could be solved fairly easily.

When the dof is manually configured, menus and other 2d only elements are blurred (to be expected). I know there's not much that can be done about that (although more on that in a sec), but my main problem is with in-between-gameplay screens, like a mission complete screen or something like that. Obviously, it's not too difficult to turn reshade off to navigate those menus, but I keep forgetting to turn it back on, and it's a hassle.

Wouldn't it be possible to automatically disable dof when there's is no depth information at all (or it's full, whatever)? I would also suggest a 1-2 second delay so that it doesn't turn off during gameplay by accident (if looking at a wall or something, though I doubt that would happen much, if at all). As for during gameplay, wouldn't it also be possible to fix hud blurring by excluding elements that are 100% black/close? I imagine it wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it might work for a surprising amount of situations.

Anyway, just my two cents!

In most games, the depth buffer of the scene is still detected through the menus, and is even sometimes carried over during loading screens. I think that the best solution to this problem is if multiple hot keys were added that can allow you to bind Several buttons to the same keys in game that activate menus. For example Esc (Pause), I (Inventory), and, Tab (Menus). In most games when you want to exit the menu, you can just push the same button that got you into the menu, and pressing it again will enable DoF as you exit.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Elimina.

• crosire
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Automatically disable dof when there is no depth
Automatically disabling DOF when no depth information is not possible. ReShade is not aware of the shaders that were written for it (like DOF), it's the platform on which they run, so a one way relation.
The only thing you can do is, as suggested by Elimina, to bind those effects to a custom key and then manually toggle them.

• themaxmeister
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #4 by themaxmeister Replied by themaxmeister on topic Automatically disable dof when there is no depth
Thank you both!

• ShoterXX
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #5 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Automatically disable dof when there is no depth
Can you add a variable for when ReShade is cutting off depth acess on purpose though? I had an idea for detecting day/night cycle from a game by getting color at sky depth, but the workaround for finding out if I have depth or not can get kinda heavy (atleast the one I came up with).
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by ShoterXX.

• crosire
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Automatically disable dof when there is no depth
That I can do.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.