Support For D3D Overrider

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #1 by Constantine PC Support For D3D Overrider was created by Constantine PC
As title. This is probably more of a Nvidia thing. But sometimes I have to use d3d Overrider to fix bad(or non-existent) triple buffering in some of my games.
Currently trying to use d3d Overrider and ReShade causes the game to not start.

Support would be nice because it would allow me to enjoy increased visual fidelity along with no Screen tearing and good v sync.
Though I completely understand if you can't do this/don't want to do this. Since it's probably a really small amount of people that even use d3d Overrider.

Thanks for considering this and all the continuing work on Reshade :)
Oh and the reason I said it's more of a Nvidia thing is because AMD users can use Radeon Pro to Force triple buffering.
That didn't seem to work with my Nvidia card when I tried. If it does work, please let me know. :)
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by Constantine PC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Koklusz
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #2 by Koklusz Replied by Koklusz on topic Support For D3D Overrider
GTX 260 user here, and I never had a problem forcing triple buffering with Radeon Pro. Sorry for stupid question, but are you sure you disabled in game v-sync? Anyway, it should be last case scenario for games that don't have windowed mode, if they do, use Borderless Gaming instead. Theres also adaptive v-sync in nv control panel/nv inspector, if you can live with some tearing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Constantine PC

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #3 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Really? You use Radeon pro?

I knew you could get Sweetfx working with Nvidia but I thought other functions would be related to AMD cards.
I'll have to give that a go. How do you have your settings? Thanks.

I personally hate tearing so Adapative Vsync isn't really for me.
I've never heard of Borderless Gaming. I'll have to check that out too.
Edit: Ah I see I just checked it out and it forces Windowed Games to fullscreen. Cool.

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Support For D3D Overrider
I think I might of got it to work!
Problem was the game had a Launcher so I thought it wasn't working. But I defined the Launcher and it appears to vsync my game now when Force Vsync is on.

Thanks for the help. But knowing your settings would still be nice :P

• Koklusz
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #5 by Koklusz Replied by Koklusz on topic Support For D3D Overrider
I'm happy that I could help, I will post my settings for RPro later, I'm at work right now.

• Koklusz
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #6 by Koklusz Replied by Koklusz on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Example how i set up RPro:
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Constantine PC, jas01

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #7 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Triple Buffering functionality seems to work on most games.
Arma 3 crashes when alt tabbing with ReShade so they might be stepping on each others toes there.
And Bioshock Infinite just straight up won't start.

Some games though it's smooth sailing with no problems.

Edit: I just tried Borderless gaming and it seems to be a lot more reliable.

• Koklusz
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #8 by Koklusz Replied by Koklusz on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Aren't those games 64bit only? You may have to click several times on blue 32bit icon in the bottom right corner until it changes to 32/64bit like in the screenshot.

I just tried Borderless gaming and it seems to be a lot more reliable.

Yup, and another perk of using Windows Triple Buffering is that it activates only when framerate drops below 60fps, meaning you get generally lower input lag.

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #9 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Support For D3D Overrider
They are 32bit, I also had it in the 32/64bit mode too.

Anyways I'd rather use Borderless gaming.
Thanks for linking that. Probably never would of heard of it otherwise.

• crosire
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #10 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Checked out D3DOverrider. The tool uses fixed offsets relative to the base module address, which are defined in "D3DOverrider\Profiles\Config" under "[FnOffsetCache]" to hook into the Direct3D functions to enable VSync/Tripple Buffering. That's a problem. This requires the Direct3D DLL to be the original DLL, since the ReShade DLL is obviously looking completly different making all those offsets invalid.
To fix this in theory one would "just" need to figure out the correct offsets for the ReShade DLLs and replace them in that config file.

• crosire
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Support For D3D Overrider
The RadeonPro methods to force "tripple buffering" (we are talking about tripple buffering as in a 3 buffer render queue here, it can mean something else too) kinda works, does the same thing D3DOverride does.
You can verify that by letting ReShade create a tracelog assuming RadeonPro hooked earlier than ReShade, which should be the case. In case of D3D9 scroll down to the line saying "Dumping Presentation Parameters" and check the "BackBufferCount" parameter. If it's 1 then double buffering is enabled, if it is 2 then "tripple buffering" is enabled. Funny enough the RadeonPro implementation is wrong actually, because it sets that value to 3, which equals quadruple buffering.

• v00d00m4n
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #12 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Hey why should we rely on third party tools?

Just add force tripple buffering option to reshade itself please!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gryzemuis

• Gryzemuis
More
8 years 10 months ago #13 by Gryzemuis Replied by Gryzemuis on topic Support For D3D Overrider

v00d00m4n wrote: Just add force tripple buffering option to reshade itself please!

I would like that too.
I was very pleased to find out that ReShade has an optional fps-counter. And a small and non-intrusive one too. Perfect.

There's been a few DX games that I've played in the past that had the triple-buffering option. It always seemed to make gameplay more smooth. (I've played a lot of WoW in the past. I can say a lot of negative things about WoW. But the game is smooth as silk. I suspect that integrated triple-buffering is one of the reasons it feels so smooth). Having to run D3D-overrider, for just one feature seems a bit of overkill.

If I understand correctly, then enabling triple-buffering is just calling one DirectX function during initialization time. Right ? If that's true, it might not be so much work to add to ReShade.

If you include this in ReShade, it might be an extra reason for people to check out ReShade. And once they use it, and like it, they might check out all the other features too. Worth including, imho. Colors, SMAA, fps-counter, and triple-buffering. All in one package ! What more would one want ?! :)

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago #14 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Support For D3D Overrider
ReShade did force tripple buffering in the past, but it caused in issues in some games, so I removed it again. And I don't want to add a config file for just one optional feature: Using #pragmas like the for other settings doesn't work, because tripple buffering has to be enabled/disabled before the shaders (and thus #pragmas) are loaded.

• Martigen
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #15 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Support For D3D Overrider

crosire wrote: ReShade did force tripple buffering in the past, but it caused in issues in some games, so I removed it again. And I don't want to add a config file for just one optional feature: Using #pragmas like the for other settings doesn't work, because tripple buffering has to be enabled/disabled before the shaders (and thus #pragmas) are loaded.

I can understand not wanting to add a config file for one option, everything is so clean as it is, but I must admit being able to have TB would be a huge asset, as so many games don't include it and tools like D3DO don't seem to work (for me, at least) since Windows 8.

What were the issues, and how many games were affected? A toggle would be great if it were possible... what if Reshade detected the presence of an empty file called 'tb.on', and enabled triple buffering, but otherwise wouldn't by default? No config files needed then!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Martigen.

• Gryzemuis
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #16 by Gryzemuis Replied by Gryzemuis on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Sorry for the late reply.
Been busy playing The Witcher 3. :)

crosire wrote: I don't want to add a config file for just one optional feature

I understand that.
Maybe there are other ways. If this was Unix, I'd say check an environment variable. But setting environment-variables in Windows is a pain.

What about, if you don't have a config file, all options (one at the moment) will be the default value. (In this case: Triple Buffering = Off).
If you want any option different from the default, you'll need to create a config file.
I wouldn't make it an empty file. I'd put a very simple syntax in there. For readability. (So when someone sees the file, they'll know what it is about).
This will make the distribution easy (no extra file included).
But for people who want to deviate from the default, at least there is an option to do so.
There might be more options that you can include in this way in the future ?
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Gryzemuis.

• NightRune
More
8 years 8 months ago #17 by NightRune Replied by NightRune on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Is there any alternative to D3D Overrrider to force Triple Bubbering on Nvidia cards?

Unfortunately if i try to use it together with Reshade (SweetFX 2.0) it always crashs the game at start...

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 8 months ago #18 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Yeah, is there one?

• logout20
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #19 by logout20 Replied by logout20 on topic Support For D3D Overrider
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by logout20. Reason: torbahinika chodawa

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.