Stuff in regards to Mediator

• Nicholas Steel
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by Nicholas Steel Stuff in regards to Mediator was created by Nicholas Steel
1) It doesn't have an intuitive means of redefining toggle keys. I click in the box, erase everything and put the key I want to use in the box and the shader fails to compile when running the game. No intuitive error message, no intuitive prompt for specifying a key to use as a toggle key, no informative information on how to rebind a key or anything.

2) Lots of inconsistencies. Not all toggle key configuration areas will tell you about the keycodes.h file, and those that do tell you about it will display a path to it that doesn't exist. For example Common states "Set the global key that should toggle the effects On/Off. Go to ReShade/Common/KeyCodes.h for additional key codes." yet the path should be "ReShade\ReShade\PersonalFiles". SweetFX's GLOBAL section states "Toggle key for all shared shaders. Shared shaders are Bloom, Border," without any path or keycode file being mentioned, .under SMAA there is zero information about the toggle key function.

3) SweetFX uses RFX_ToggleKey, but that isn't defined anywhere in the keycodes.h file so what the fuck key does that shader suite use by default?

4) Depending on how you go about setting things up in the Mediator, the SMAA Predication Settings section (SweetFX/SMAA) can either appear beside SMAA Anti-Aliasing Settings or below Advanced SMAA Settings. So the UI for Mediator is inconsistent as well as the explanations for settings. If I choose a game, SMAA Predication settings will appear beside SMAA Anti-Aliasing Settings. If I choose a game and a profile then SMAA Predication settings will appear below Advanced SMAA Settings.

5) I completely don't know how to define a toggle key. Everything I've tried results in the shader failing to compile.

6) The Profile drop down box is inactive after choosing a game until you navigate to another section of the UI (Another tab) and then return.

I know I sound harsh, these are just my observations from very little use of the software. I'm using v1.0.0 on Windows 10 x64.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Nicholas Steel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #2 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Stuff in regards to Mediator
Thanks for the feedback Nicholas. :)

However, your complaints 2 and 3 seem not mediator related. Anyway, RFX_ToggleKey is defined in the common tab but this link is only relevant for the compilation by the ReShade binaries later and not for the mediator (which is not compiling any shader files).

1) & 5)
Compilation errors are handled by the ReShade binaries, not the mediator. If there is time though, I might add a translation method for key press to key value. Just keep in mind, this is no basic/core functionallity.

2)
There seems to be a tiny difference in formatting for that specific example which changes the order of categories. Therefore the 3rd category does not fit anymore under the second and everything moves to the right. I will see what is happening there but I dont really think I would have ever noticed that. By the way, its all automated layout. :)

6)
Selecting a profile will start a dialog that asks you whether you want to update the profile (imagine there was a new ReShade binary release). Cancel and Update button get high lighted and either will allow you to do whatever afterwards. Changing the tab is also exiting the dialog as if you had pressed cancel.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Ganossa.

• Nicholas Steel
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #3 by Nicholas Steel Replied by Nicholas Steel on topic Stuff in regards to Mediator

LuciferHawk wrote: However, your complaints 2 and 3 seem not mediator related. Anyway, RFX_ToggleKey is defined in the common tab but this link is only relevant for the compilation by the ReShade binaries later and not for the mediator (which is not compiling any shader files).

1) & 5)
Compilation errors are handled by the ReShade binaries, not the mediator. If there is time though, I might add a translation method for key press to key value. Just keep in mind, this is no basic/core functionallity.

I understand that the toggle key is for toggling the shader effect and that the shader engine is separate to the Mediator application (I'm familiar with how injection mods work), I guess I probably could've named this topic better. Trying to configure the toggle key via Mediator will result in a corrupt shader that can't compile at application runtime. I tried editing the relevant sweetfx.cfg file and changing the RFX_Togglekey to a VK_Pause and that broke the shader, I also tried adding VK_Pause after RFX_Togglekey and that also broke the shader so I dunno how you're meant to manually define it or how to configure it via Mediator. When configuring it via Mediator I would highlight RFX_Togglekey, delete it and type in what I wanted but that effectively did the same as one of the manual editing methods I tried and subsequently also didn't work.

You say I should configure it from the Common tab? Why have it configurable in the SweetFX Global and SMAA tab then?

LuciferHawk wrote: 6)Selecting a profile will start a dialog that asks you whether you want to update the profile (imagine there was a new ReShade binary release). Cancel and Update button get high lighted and either will allow you to do whatever afterwards. Changing the tab is also exiting the dialog as if you had pressed cancel.

Ah, I didn't notice that. After looking at it I would probably suggest changing the Update button to Confirm and to change the description like so:

Hit the "Update" button to update the installation of the application profile.
to
Hit the "Confirm" button to confirm selection of the application profile you intend to configure.

The original wording gives the impression that it will be immediately updated in some way, not that the user will be updating it via re-configuring it.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Stuff in regards to Mediator
The toggle key set in the mediator should work cause I use it too. Possible errors are typos and the difference between assigning defines like VK_pause or its equivalent code. The code needs to be put in quotation marks. That it works you can see e.g. in the UIMask shader that uses individual toggle keys.

There is a common toggle key defined for the ReShade Framework in the common tab. If you want to change key toggles globally this one allows you to do so for any shader that is set to the RFX_ToggleKey (you dont want to change the global key in over 70 shader). For individual key toggles (so if you do not want it to be bound globally) you can set the key in each shader configuration to something else than RFX_ToggleKey. :)

• crosire
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Stuff in regards to Mediator

Nicholas Steel wrote: changing the RFX_Togglekey to a VK_Pause and that broke the shader

Should be "VK_PAUSE" (all uppercase, without quotes) judging from how it's defined in KeyCodes.h.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire.

• Nicholas Steel
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #6 by Nicholas Steel Replied by Nicholas Steel on topic Stuff in regards to Mediator

crosire wrote:

Nicholas Steel wrote: changing the RFX_Togglekey to a VK_Pause and that broke the shader

Should be "VK_PAUSE" (all uppercase, without quotes) judging from how it's defined in KeyCodes.h.

That might be it, I have a feeling I wasn't using all capitals as I did manage to change the global setting successfully without causing the shaders to fail to compile. Thanks!

Edit: RFX_Togglekey isn't in all capitals which likely misled me to believe the setting was case insensitive.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.