Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?

• Alverdine
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1 by Alverdine Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why? was created by Alverdine
I wrote a tutorial (tailored to The Sims 3) for using ReShade 2.0 and the assistant application -> here <-, however it seems to be getting mixed results where some people are not able to get the game to run after ReShade has installed the d3d9.dll.
Apparently The Sims 3 shows up in the Task Manager as active but doesn't use any memory. What would cause this? I've compared my system to a user's having the issue and couldn't see any obvious differences.
A few have even reported computer crashes.

It seems to work for some but not others. Have I missed explaining a critical step or is it a user/system error? Also if someone with more knowledge of the application and post-processing in general could read it over and point out if anything is wrong I'd appreciate that. Thanks!
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Alverdine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
They'll have to make sure no third-party overlays or similar running. Those can interfer and cause a crash. Also, the DirectX end-user runtime is required to be installed (as stated on the main page).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alverdine

• Alverdine
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by Alverdine Replied by Alverdine on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
Alright I'll see if any of them are using third-party overlays. I would have assumed they have the latest DirectX since most of them are Windows 10 users, but I'll double check.

• crosire
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
Windows 10 is missing some older DirectX files by default, which are required for ReShade to work.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by crosire.

• Alverdine
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #5 by Alverdine Replied by Alverdine on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
I'm using windows 10 with DirextX 12 and haven't had any issues with ReShade so far.
For the people having problems though, how would they get the missing files - update or reinstall the latest version? Or is there a certain download that needs to be tracked down somewhere?

• crosire
More
7 years 9 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
It's linked on the home page: www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
The reason it's working for you is that it was installed during the setup of some game already (most games need it too). But it can be missing sometimes, in which case ReShade would crash during shader compilation.

• Alverdine
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #7 by Alverdine Replied by Alverdine on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
Right, sorry. I had failed to acknowledge DirectX and DirectX End-User Runtime as separate things - thought it was just an abbreviation. I see now that the end user runtime is a backwards compatability patch for DirectX, correct?
[strike]Also the AU version of Microsoft's website is laid out differently so I didn't see a link on the homepage[/strike]. You meant this website's homepage... *shakes head* I'm going to say my comprehension fails are because I've been up all night :( Got it now though and will let those people know.
Thanks for your help!

And sorry for not reading the Requirements more carefully, heh. That's probably really annoying for you.

• mimisapje
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #8 by mimisapje Replied by mimisapje on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?
I'm one of the people who got issues with making reshade works for my sims 3 game. I followed the instructions and installed the Direct X end-user runtime but no succes.The issue continues: the game runs in the background at a low ram usage.
Weird thing is, Reshade works for my other games, but those use different versions of DX. The only one not working for me is the d3d9, which TS3 requires.

The log file didn't give me much insight on what's causing it, it looks like the log files from the users where it works, but it stops abruptly in the middle, with no error given.
It stops at this line (if it is of any use) 'Redirecting 'D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain(09886648, 0, 00000000, 0x80, 00198254, 1, 7, 00000000, 00000000, 00198260, 00000000, 00000000)' ...'
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by mimisapje.

• Eikee
More
7 years 9 months ago #9 by Eikee Replied by Eikee on topic Tutorial gets mixed results for people - why?

mimisapje wrote: I'm one of the people who got issues with making reshade works for my sims 3 game. I followed the instructions and installed the Direct X end-user runtime but no succes.The issue continues: the game runs in the background at a low ram usage.
Weird thing is, Reshade works for my other games, but those use different versions of DX. The only one not working for me is the d3d9, which TS3 requires.

The log file didn't give me much insight on what's causing it, it looks like the log files from the users where it works, but it stops abruptly in the middle, with no error given.
It stops at this line (if it is of any use) 'Redirecting 'D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain(09886648, 0, 00000000, 0x80, 00198254, 1, 7, 00000000, 00000000, 00198260, 00000000, 00000000)' ...'

Same issue, works on my Integrated card but not my dedicated. I have a Nvidia Card in a laptop and this seems not to work.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.