[SOLVED] No Man's Sky - was working now not

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #1 by amoebae No Man's Sky - was working now not was created by amoebae
I've been using ReShade 2.0.3 with No Man's Sky since release with no problems. Renamed ReShade64.dll to opengl32.dll and all was working just great. Even depth buffer access, woo. Wracked up 16 hours with it installed.

While playing earlier I got a crash with an opengl TDR error message. Since then I've not been able to open the game while ReShade is installed.

I've updated my driver, I've verified the game cache, I've tried two different versions of ReShade (2.0.3 and 1.1.0). The game runs just fine as soon as I take opengl32.dll out of the directory, but with it in I can't get past the Hello Games splash screen. I get the ReShade success text in the top left, but then boom! the game closes.

Any ideas? Might it be a local problem? I'm afraid I don't know what to do to troubleshoot this, beyond updating drivers and the like, which I have done.

(In case it's in any way important, my PC is a good one - 980Ti, i7 4790 @ 4ghz, 16GB RAM - I was running the game at 4K with very few problems before this happened.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sajittarius
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #2 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
i have pretty much the same setup (980ti, 4790k, 16gb ram). When the Hello Games appears, reshade appears to load and apply effect, but then when the starfield appears reshade says 'Loading Effect' and never finishes, even after the game is fully loaded. The game doesnt crash, but it looks like reshade is stuck reloading the effect and never completes?

edit: i am on win10 build 1607 (the anniversary update) if that matters. And the nvidia 369.09 drivers (the WDDM 2.1 drivers, not sure if that affects opengl, running the game in Borderless Windowed).
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by sajittarius.

• sajittarius
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #3 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
Ok this is even weirder, i just noticed if i have other windows open and alt-tab between them and No Man's Sky, Reshade will apply the effect to NMS while it's in the background, say it succeeded and fade the Reshade notification in the top left like normal. But if i tab into NMS, it stays stuck with "Loading Effect". Reshade does still appear to work though, i can take screenshots and they show up in the NMS folder, lol.

To clarify: if i just hit apply in the reshade configurator, it says Loading Effect in NMS. But, if i alt tab between the configurator and another window (like an explorer window, or notepad++) then the No Man's Sky windows shows "Compiling Effect... Succeeded!" and the effect is definitely applied (i tested with DPX and FilmicPass). If i then make No Man's Sky the active window, it turns the effect off (it tries to reload and never finishes).

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #4 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
I should add I'm on Windows 7, and I'm using the latest game ready driver for my 980Ti (368.81)

I'm seeing loads of people using ReShade with no problems, and indeed I was one of those until that crash last night.

Now I've found where the saves are kept, I'm going to do a fresh install of the game and see if that helps.

It's a real shame. I wasn't using ReShade for very much, just to add a tiny touch of clarity to the image and of course for SMAA, and I like its screenshot function over anything else because I'm used to it.

Is there anything you need to download for OpenGL support, like there is for DirectX runtimes, or is it all handled through GPU driver software?

That said, the game works fine, it's just closing if I have ReShade installed now (out of the blue).

• sajittarius
More
7 years 8 months ago #5 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
I think i got it working, and this may help anyone else. In Nvidia Inspector disable Shadercache. The devs mentioned there is a known issue they are working on related to Shadercache. When i started the game, it said 'Loading Effect'. I alt tabbed out and hit 2 programs (nvidia inspector and notepad++) and the effect applied. Then i went into the game and it kept the effect loaded!

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #6 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
Looking at the logs, here's what happened right before the game closes for each version:

1.1.0:

14/08/2016 06:50:04:568 [04764] | INFO | > Successfully compiled effect.
14/08/2016 06:50:04:617 [04764] | INFO | > Resizing image data for texture 'texNoise' from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 ...

2.0.3:

14/08/2016 05:53:15:723 [07760] | WARN | > Successfully compiled effect with warnings:
D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\ReShade.fx(14, 2): preprocessor warning: Could not find application profile, falling back to default
14/08/2016 05:53:15:769 [07760] | INFO | > Resizing image data for texture 'texNoise' from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 ...

3.0:

14/08/2016 06:34:10:198 [08880] | INFO | > Switched to new runtime 000000006CA1F800.
14/08/2016 06:34:10:416 [08880] | INFO | Resizing runtime 000000006CA1F800 on device context FFFFFFFFE8011870 to 2560x1440 ...
14/08/2016 06:34:10:416 [08880] | ERROR | Failed to recreate OpenGL runtime environment on runtime 000000006CA1F800.

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #7 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
sajittarius - your shader cache thing didn't work for me, btw

Since I started this thread I've reinstalled the game, reinstalled vcredist, I'd already updated my driver... still no luck.

I'm completely stumped.

What's most confusing is that it *was* working perfectly. And then all of a sudden after that crash last night it stopped.

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #8 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
Tried SweetFX 2.0 as well (on the off chance, even though it's the same binary) but no dice.

Here's the log:

Warning: Spoiler!

• sajittarius
More
7 years 8 months ago #9 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
its strange because the 2.0.3 and the sweetfx compile for you. You didn't do any updates to Windows itself, did you?

Also, are you running fullscreen or borderless?

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #10 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
I've tried fullscreen and borderless and bordered windowed, and all produce the same result. I've tried fullscreen at different resolutions as well.

Yes, it is very strange that it seems to compile just fine, but then the game terminates straight after.

I've done no updates to Windows in the past few days.

If it had never worked then I'd chalk it up to some hidden incompatibility in my system, but it had been working perfectly for 16 hours of play, and indeed for a couple of hours that night up until it crashed and wouldn't work from that point on. Obviously there were no changes I could have made to my system while I was in the process of playing the game. I disable automatic Windows updates by default.

ReShade is still working in other games, incidentally, although I don't use it in any other OpenGL games so I can't comment on that.

• Aelius Maximus
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #11 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
Have you tried injecting the ReShade64 instead using a dll injector?

One thing that isn't working at all with no Mans Sky is the ReShade 3.0 beta
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Aelius Maximus.

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #12 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
I tried that tonight, actually. I've not tried injecting ReShade before. I used the ENB Injector but it didn't work. I don't know if I was doing it wrong. I followed the instructions that are in a thread on here somewhere or another, and it's pretty straightforward, but no dice I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'm at a loss. I'm going to wait it out now until there's a patch for the game and the new drivers come out, and see if that solves it, but it seems unlikely because if it was a more global problem like that you'd expect to see others having the same problem but as far as I can see it's just me.

At least I can rule the 3.0 beta out. In that case, the thing the other two versions I've tried have in common is closing while resizing texture for texNoise - I'm not clever enough to know what that means though. I don't know if it gives a hint to anyone who knows about this sort of thing (logs are above in a previous post).

• Aelius Maximus
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #13 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
No it won't, because ENb only supports 32 bit, you need a 64 bit injector, i can reference you one that is 100% clean, but it's up to you.(not entirely sure if im allowed to on here)

And this just happened to me, i tried using ReShade the ordinary method by dropping files in the No Mans Sky folder, and it crashed with the TDR message, and now it crashes to desktop on the main title screen at every launch, (my version isn't legit, so that means the problem isn't related to Steam) back to injecting ReShade for me. It is a really strange problem, obviously something is logged somewhere that initiates the same problem again.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Aelius Maximus.

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #14 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
Oh wow... you're the only other person I've heard with this problem, so it gives me some consolation that it might not be solely on my end (although that's no consolation for you).

I didn't realise that about ENB. If you're not allowed to put up a link on here, you can find me at flickr under the name amoebae, or tumblr under pictureamoebae - I'd be very grateful for a link, thanks. I took a look at 64bit injectors but it seems to be a bit of a minefield and I don't want to go around downloading any old tat.

(I should add, my version is legit, so your problem isn't necessarily an issue to do with a crack either)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by amoebae.

• Irkie500
More
7 years 8 months ago #15 by Irkie500 Replied by Irkie500 on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
How did you get depth buffer access? I loaded AO with debug mode enabled and it was completely white.

I also did not rename my reshade.dll to opengl32.dll is that necessary? I just had the Mediator pick opengl for me.

Thanks!

• amoebae
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #16 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
When it *was* working for me, I installed manually, as I always do. The mediator renames the dll for you, so if you don't use the mediator you simply do it yourself instead.

The depth buffer just worked off the bat for me. It seemed a bit glitchy with a few artifacts here and there, but it worked. I was using ReShade 2.0.3.

• Irkie500
More
7 years 8 months ago #17 by Irkie500 Replied by Irkie500 on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
Hmmm ill have to take a look at this again. Perhaps a conflict with SMAA or another effect? No matter which AO setting i used the buffer was all white.

• Aelius Maximus
More
7 years 8 months ago #18 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
It should be okay to post here, i think..

Seeing as i'm not on either of those sites, i'm gonna get this moved along sooner rather than later, so heres the link

www.mediafire.com/download/zd3u1fiep7fbz...+Injector+v2.2.0.zip

The Xenos64.exe is all you need and it is 100% clean, and heres the metadefender analysis data report for proof

www.metadefender.com/#!/results/file/813...2f1/regular/analysis

First make sure to set it to "Manual inject" then it will prompt you to browse towards the exe you want to inject, and then select the dll, in this case ReShade64

Click inject, then launch the game! Working 100% here.

• rakkanoth
More
7 years 8 months ago #19 by rakkanoth Replied by rakkanoth on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not

sajittarius wrote: I think i got it working, and this may help anyone else. In Nvidia Inspector disable Shadercache. The devs mentioned there is a known issue they are working on related to Shadercache. When i started the game, it said 'Loading Effect'. I alt tabbed out and hit 2 programs (nvidia inspector and notepad++) and the effect applied. Then i went into the game and it kept the effect loaded!

Hey! Hope you are still reading this. I have EXACTLY the same problem. Was working first but then it stopped working. When I alt tab out of NMS the effects are applied successfully but once I tab in again it's stuck at "Loading effect...". I did what you did, disabled Shadercache in nvidia inspector, tabbed out and loaded notepad++ and inspector and tabbed back in. No matter what I do, it just won't stay applied once I focus the NMS window. You must have done something else I've missed...

• sajittarius
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #20 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic No Man's Sky - was working now not
@rakkanoth

after you disabled shadercache (and applied in nv inspector), did you restart no mans sky? Your message makes it sound like you just tabbed out of the game, hit disable, and tabbed to notepad++ and then back into the game?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.