Reshade with forza horizon 3

• ahmlet
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #1 by ahmlet Reshade with forza horizon 3 was created by ahmlet
Hi, did anyone manage to get reshade to work with forza horizon 3? it keep asking for permission but cant get it to work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
What is asking for permissions? The setup tool? If so, run it as administrator.

• paxton676
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3 by paxton676 Replied by paxton676 on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
Its a Windows 10 issue.

Running as admin won't work because the game is a "Windows app".

"Forza Horizon 3" and "Gears of War 4" are "Windows apps". You cannot gain write access to the game folders or any other "Windows app" app folder. All the typical security stuff like taking ownership and assigning full control won't work because they are treated like operating system folders/ files. In addition, if you take ownership away from the TrustedInstaller than all apps will be broken and restoring ownership to the TrustedInstaller won't fix it. You will have to do a system restore, reinstall windows etc...

There might be some way to write to the folder outside of the operating system and paste in Reshade files but that seems like too much trouble. It is probably best to just live without Reshade on these games.

Lastly, isn't it nice of Microsoft to protect us from ourselves? I can't wait to see the security in the next windows operating system. :(
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by paxton676.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 6 months ago #4 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
You can take ownership of them just fine but they're not your usual application software so standard injection won't help and with the newer games Microsoft also uses EFS to encrypt the files and folders so you can't really do anything with them at all unless you decrypt them first. (Worked with some of the initial games using this method by from my understanding dumping the unencrypted files in a separate folder via a launcher as the app was running but this can probably be fixed in a newer Win10 update.)

• paxton676
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #5 by paxton676 Replied by paxton676 on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
You can take ownership but will be "read only" regardless. Full control still doesn't grant write access. However, from what you are saying doesn't matter anyway since Reshade won't work with the game.

Encryption, I did notice the game folders having odd names.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by paxton676.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 6 months ago #6 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
Yes taking ownership will allow you to access the folder but with the EFS / Encryption File System that Microsoft uses (It's a OS function.) they take the encryption key and basically lock you out of accessing these files and folders. (There's nothing you can do unless you decrypt the files but that workaround will likely be plugged as some security update if it hasn't already been fixed.)

It's a bit controversial on how they lock you out of parts of your own drive like that and if that wasn't enough they also use the Arxan anti-tamper DRM if what I've read about this is accurate. (Used in GTA V and Mafia 3 plus most of the newer UWP games.)

And yes UWP games also run in their own separated environment or almost sandboxed so getting compatibility with injectors or overlays is tricky though I assume there is some way to do this (Display drivers for example can interact with them but they do work a bit differently than going via e.g DirectX.) but you might have to go a bit deeper than with usual software. (Kernel level?)

First and foremost though is the encryption that locks you out of accessing the game files and folders without that going away you will not be able to place a ReShade .dll file where the game "exe" is even if ReShade itself could be made compatible with this "UWP" app system.

• Aelius Maximus
More
7 years 5 months ago #7 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
Am i missing something? Isn't Forza Horizon 3 DX12 anyway?

• JBeckman
More
7 years 5 months ago #8 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
I thought it was using DX11 but that might have been Forza Apex then. :)

• tonaz
More
7 years 3 months ago #9 by tonaz Replied by tonaz on topic Reshade with forza horizon 3
i'va found a way to copy the reshade files into the fh3 folder, using io bit unlocker.
now the problem is that i dont know which api fh3 uses, i dont know how to name the dxgi.dll

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.