[SOLVED] Battlefield 2142 Crashing

• Sylux102
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #1 by Sylux102 [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing was created by Sylux102
I've been doing everything I can to get 2142 to work but it just doesnt want to cooperate. Installed from an original install disc, updated to v1.51, running the reshade setup in both 17.1 beta and 13.2 (which is supposedly compatible) but it pops up with the "BF2142.exe has stopped working" window and reshades auto detection fails. That's fine, just click DX9 and it installs just fine. Run BF2142.exe, black screen for a second, then game instantly crashes to desktop with the stopped working window. No log file is created. Creating one doesn't help, and it remains empty. Ran both reshade and game as Admin (even though I'm the only user account and thus an admin) and in every compatibility mode possible (all the way back to windows 95) and it still crashes. Gave read/write access to all the folders within my EA programs folder, took ownership of the folder and it still refuses to run. Strangely, I can run it in Dolphin emulator just fine. My PC specs if they're relevant:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel i5 4690k 4th gen
1TB HDD
8GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws RAM
EVGA nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Any help figuring this out will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brussell
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #2 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
All I can say is that it works fine for me. Also retail, patched to 1.51, w7_64, ATI with Reshade32.dll renamed to d3d9.dll and put in the main folder.

Make sure to disable possible overlay programs like MSI Afterburner etc. or maybe some nvidia stuff.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by brussell.

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
Anything possibly interfering running in the background? Sometimes combinations of some overlay programs (RadeonPro, Afterburner RTSS, Overwolf, Fraps, Dxtory, ...) cause issues.

• Sylux102
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #4 by Sylux102 Replied by Sylux102 on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
I don't think I have any overlays running since it works perfectly on my Dolphin emulator. Didn't buy it through Steam or anything, and I don't have any ATI hardware. Its possible nVidia Experience may be causing the issue, I'm not sure why that has to start with windows, I hardly use it, and I doubt that would cause it for only one game. I've also disabled forced AA in my control panel.

Does the reshade setup use the DLL for the OS or for the game when autodetection fails? Maybe there should be an option to choose the 64 or 32 bit DLL when the autodetection fails.

Current running processes :

csrss.exe - not malware, legit windows program
DWM.exe
Explorer.exe
iusb3mon.exe
Motohelperagent.exe - for my phone (can't end process, always restarts)
Nvbackend.exe
Nvtray.exe
Nvvsvc.exe
Nvxdsync.exe
Taskhost.exe
Taskmgr.exe - obviously not running when playing BF
Winlogon.exe

Just for the heck of it, I ran the latest setup with the following games (autodetect install)

Halo CE (detects fine, crashes)
Star Wars Battlefront II(detects fine, crashes)
Project64 2.1(detects fine, crashes)
I Am Alive(detects fine, crashes)
Depth Hunter(detects fine, crashes)
X3 Terrain Conflict(detects fine, crashes)
Nexuiz(detects fine, crashes)

And it doesn't work for these games

Star Wars Jedi Knight Academy (so or mp)
Battlefield 2142

So why does it work on Dolphin and not anything else
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Sylux102.

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
The setup will always choose the right DLL (32 or 64bit), no matter if autodetection failed or not, the detection is for the API only.

Perhaps Dolphin is configured to use OpenGL which then works for some reason? NVIDIA GeForce Experience + Shadowplay shouldn't be a problem, I have it running here myself.
I suggest you try to uninstall and reinstall a few redistributable packages, they may be corrupted (this happened to somebody here in the past, he was experiencing unexplainable crashes too and a clean reinstallation of those fixed it):
Also, you said you tried to create a log file manually already (that would have been my next suggestion). Did you make sure to really call it "d3d9.log" with that extension and that it wasn't created as "d3d9.log.txt" (you may want to change the Windows explorer configuration to not hide file extensions for that)?
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylux102

• Sylux102
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #6 by Sylux102 Replied by Sylux102 on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
That's actually quite useful information.

Um, no, Dolphin is set up to use DirectX, as OpenGL doesn't offer as many fancy feature in Dolphin that DirectX does.

I already have allowed file extension visibility and critical system file visibility within Windows, it was not created as .log.txt. It was indeed d3d9.log only with no other extensions. After the program crashes, opening the .log file with wordpad reveals a completely empty file. When I run the program, the "Let the magic happen?" window does not appear. The game immediately crashes with no explanation as to why, but windows does say it's an exception at address 0c00000005 or some such address. Not that that's useful since that is the most generic exception address in Windows and could mean millions of different issues.
I can try reinstalling Visual Redistributables, but if they were corrupted, wouldn't the game crash on its own without Reshade? And why would Dolphin be working correctly?
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Sylux102. Reason: spelling correction

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing

Sylux102 wrote: I can try reinstalling Visual Redistributables, but if they were corrupted, wouldn't the game crash on its own without Reshade? And why would Dolphin be working correctly?

Because they most likely weren't developed with Visual C++ 2012, but 2010 or 13 or another one.

• Sylux102
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #8 by Sylux102 Replied by Sylux102 on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
So which of the Visual packages should I reinstall? Just 2012? And should I do x64 or x86 (or both)? I recall only installing the x64 packages so maybe thats the problem (since most games are x86)?

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
Yes, both.

• Sylux102
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #10 by Sylux102 Replied by Sylux102 on topic [V17.1b] Battlefield 2142 Crashing
I already had installed both versions of 2012 and I just clicked to repair them. For some reason it seemed to work (maybe the x86 was corrupted thus why x64 Dolphin ran fine). That's very odd though. I got the window in BF2142 and everything seems fine. Very odd. Anyways, thanks for the help. I was getting quite frustrated and was about to try reinstalling windows. Thanks for saving me a ton of time Crosire.

EDIT: It now works for all games I have. Thanks again mate.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Sylux102.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.