GTA V Reshade + framework crash

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by julian GTA V Reshade + framework crash was created by julian
I downloaded the lastest ReShade + framework, extracted it to the GTA V folder and renamed ReShade64.dll to dxgi.dll.
Everytime I play (with dxgi.dll and reshade.fx in GTA V folder) and when the game has loaded into story mode (very slow intro), the game crashes in less than a couple of minutes.
The following error pops up: ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT with the text: Failed initialization, please reboot and restart the game.
If I delete dxgi.dll and reshade.fx from the GTA V folder, it doesn't crash. Only with ReShade..
What could I do get the game to run with ReShade on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 11 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
Rename dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll, and disable the steam overlay to make sure to cover all error reasons.

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #3 by julian Replied by julian on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

Marty McFly wrote: Rename dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll, and disable the steam overlay to make sure to cover all error reasons.

Thought that was fixed in version 18, but I'll try it now.

EDIT: Nope, it still crashes after a couple of minutes..
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by julian.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
Somebody had here had it crashing, but renaming it to d3d9.dll fixed that, so that's worth a try too.

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #5 by julian Replied by julian on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

crosire wrote: Somebody had here had it crashing, but renaming it to d3d9.dll fixed that, so that's worth a try too.

This caused a black screen when the loading storymode screen has finished..

• kasakka
More
8 years 11 months ago #6 by kasakka Replied by kasakka on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
For me 18.1 seems to crash in GTA V if RFX_LogDepth is enabled. I mainly tried the framework version so I could get SMAA with predication working to see if it manages to get rid of aliasing better.

I was previously running with just the SweetFx version and that worked fine as long as effects were disabled at startup (to avoid the stuttering menus issue).

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

kasakka wrote: For me 18.1 seems to crash in GTA V if RFX_LogDepth is enabled.

Shaders can't be the reason for crashes ...

• kasakka
More
8 years 11 months ago #8 by kasakka Replied by kasakka on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
The game seems to load with the framework just fine as long as RFX_LogDepth is not enabled. With it enabled I get an instant crash (and even got a BSOD a few times) even if no effects are enabled. Maybe the recent patches have broken something so the depth buffer thing no longer works?

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

kasakka wrote: even got a BSOD a few times

You seem to have a serious driver problem. Try to reinstall the DirectX runtime and your graphics driver.

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #10 by julian Replied by julian on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
@crosire

I now run ReShade + Framework and deleted all maps and files except the ones from common and SweetFX,
I also delted the lines of the deleted folders in the ordering in reshade.fx
This is because I only need SweetFX and the logarithmic depthbuffer setting, which is located in the common settings.
But it isn't in the normal ReShade + SweetFX right? Why not?
With ReShade + Framework the intro stutters like crazy, even when I set StartEnabled to 0 in common settings.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
What do you need the logaritmic depth linearization for? SweetFX does not have any effects which make use of it ...

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #12 by julian Replied by julian on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
I thought SMAA (predication) could use the depth buffer.. I would like to use (ultra) SMAA for GTA V.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by julian.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #13 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

julian wrote: @crosire

I now run ReShade + Framework and deleted all maps and files except the ones from common and SweetFX,
I also delted the lines of the deleted folders in the ordering in reshade.fx
This is because I only need SweetFX and the logarithmic depthbuffer setting, which is located in the common settings.
But it isn't in the normal ReShade + SweetFX right? Why not?
With ReShade + Framework the intro stutters like crazy, even when I set StartEnabled to 0 in common settings.

There is no need to delete the lines or files. It is pre-processor commands, therefore you will gain nothing by deleting it but only have chances to break things .oO

SMAA does uses the depth buffer but not the linearization result.

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #14 by julian Replied by julian on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

LuciferHawk wrote:
There is no need to delete the lines or files. It is pre-processor commands, therefore you will gain nothing by deleting it but only have chances to break things .oO

Allright, will use the complete package haha.
SMAA from ReShade + SweetFX is just as good in aliasing jaggies with no linearization as ReShade + framwork with the logarithmic depth buffer for GTA V?
In that case I'll just use ReShade + SweetFX instead of the whole framework, because I only used the logarithmic depth buffer of the framework :p

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #15 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

julian wrote:

LuciferHawk wrote:

Allright, will use the complete package haha.
SMAA from ReShade + SweetFX is just as good in aliasing jaggies with no linearization as ReShade + framwork with the logarithmic depth buffer for GTA V?
In that case I'll just use ReShade + SweetFX instead of the whole framework, because I only used the logarithmic depth buffer of the framework :p

If you only want to run SFX stuff, I suggest to turn all three performance options in Common_settings.cfg to 0 and run the entire framework like that. This way you get the -currently- best possible performance from what is available out there :)

See THIS POST for performance reference.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Ganossa.

• julian
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #16 by julian Replied by julian on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
With the framework enabled I only have a black screen when the game has laoded story mode...
And if I enable depthbuffer in ReShade + SweetFX (no framework) I see a white screen with a black box in the lower left...
A couple of days ago, with the framework (when it worked..), I could see the depth buffer correctly.
So ReShade + SweetFX does not use logarithmic depth. This means I also cannot use SMAA with depth (only color and luma)..... :(

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #17 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash

julian wrote: So ReShade + SweetFX does not use logarithmic depth. This means I also cannot use SMAA with depth (only color and luma)..... :(

Wrong =). Yes, SweetFX does not have the logaritmic depth buffer option, but SMAA doesn't need it. SMAA works with raw depth input and does not need linearization first.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: julian

• kasakka
More
8 years 11 months ago #18 by kasakka Replied by kasakka on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
So SMAA using depth buffer should work with ReShade in GTA V? Do I need to use the framework version for that? Does it handle aliasing better than just using color/luma?

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #19 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic GTA V Reshade + framework crash
It handles it differently. Cannot really say "better", because that can vary from game to game and from your perception. And it doesn't matter whether you use plain SweetFX or SweetFX in the framework pack, they are the same.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.