RFX_backbufferTex format?

• piltrafus
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by piltrafus RFX_backbufferTex format? was created by piltrafus
Hi, I've been looking at the framework trying to understand how it's image buffers work.
I've been trying to find where the HDR_MODE define is but I can't find it. I see some effects like SSAO still using it but is not defined as a global setting anymore I believe.
My question is actually: What is the format of the Backbuffer texture used as input for all the effects? Is it RGB8 or RGB16F? Where is this set up? Can it be modified?
The only reference to it I could find is in Reshade.fx but it doesn't say anything about its format:
texture RFX_backbufferTex : COLOR;

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic RFX_backbufferTex format?
The same format the game backbuffer is, which is almost always RGBA8. The only other possible format would be RGB10A1, but that's very, very rare, only few games support it.

• piltrafus
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic RFX_backbufferTex format?
Ok, let's see if I follow. The game output is RGB8, however in Master-effects suite the game output was stored in the HDR1 and HDR2 textures. both could be defined as RGB8, RGB16F or RGB32F. Those are the textures used in the shaders for image processing. Even if the source is 8bit there's a benefit of doing the color correction in a 16bit space.
So the question is: once reshade has captured the 8bit output from the game, the framework stores it in the RFX_backbufferTex texture. So what is the format of that texture? Is it 8bit as you say? can we change it to RGB16F?

• Ganossa
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic RFX_backbufferTex format?
As crosire said, RFX_backbufferTex is defined as backbuffer, its not a custom texture for which you can customize resolution or format.

The HDR textures are, since the update, predefined with the format RGBA8. These textures store intermediate information that might benefit from a higher range than 8bit to satisfy a better accuracy at higher cost in subsequent calculations. The final effect result however is -independent from how accurate intermediate results are calculated- written to the backbuffer to be displayed on screen.
Hence, we only use higher format textures to store intermediate results which you might need for further, more accurate calculations, but not for the final visualization of an effect.

Hope that explains it :)
@Marty, anything you would add?

• piltrafus
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #5 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic RFX_backbufferTex format?

Ganossa wrote: As crosire said, RFX_backbufferTex is defined as backbuffer, its not a custom texture...
Hope that explains it :)

That explains everything. Thanks for the lesson.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.