Reshade, Dispcalgui, and 3D LUT options.

• thechris2233
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #1 by thechris2233 Reshade, Dispcalgui, and 3D LUT options. was created by thechris2233
I asked this on dispcalgui forum but figured I'd try here too. While the questions don't pertain to Reshade directly, I am hoping other users of Reshade are using it for similar purpose and can provide some guidance.

For reference here is a post describing using dispcalgui to create 3d lut for reshade:
www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calib...s-under-windows.html
Here is post describing some of the options suggested below:
ehc.ac/p/dispcalgui/discussion/932493/thread/43a9d980/

My monitor does not have RGB controls but calibrates great using Colorimeter-generated ICC profile. I am hoping to apply these corrections to games using ReShade with 3d LUT. I have gotten 3D LUT and Reshade to work but I had questions about the "apply calibration" checkbox in dispcalgui. I saw another post that mentioned using profile keeper to lock in the VCGT. So here are my questions

1.) Is there a way to tell if or which games reset VCGT?

2.) Is it correct that locking in profile with keeper and using a 3D LUT with apply calibration DISABLED will get me the "correct" settings?

3.) Does that mean a game that reset VCGT ran with 3d LUT NOT applying calibration would not have the calibration at all?

4.) And likewise does that mean a game that keeps VCGT ran with 3d LUT applying calibrations would have the calibration applied twice?

I am just trying to understand how this works a little more. Thank you very much for great software. Does Reshade have a donation page anywhere? (maybe I'm blind and missed it).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thechris2233
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #2 by thechris2233 Replied by thechris2233 on topic Reshade, Dispcalgui, and 3D LUT options.
First, where do I go to throw money at ReShade? (I already have at dispcalgui and argyll and would like to spread the love)

Second, Florian Provided answers on his forum but I'll paste them here for convenience:
ehc.ac/p/dispcalgui/discussion/932493/thread/43a9d980/

Hi,

1.) Is there a way to tell if or which games reset VCGT?

Alt-Tabbing out of the game and (e.g.) using the curve viewer to check the video card gamma table is one option. Some games do not seem to be effected by VCGT at all though.

2.) Is it correct that locking in profile with keeper and using a 3d lut with appl calibration DISABLED will get me the "correct" settings?

Yes, but it also depends if the display profile that is installed in the OS incorporates calibration at all, because if it doesn't (i.e. has linear VCGT embedded), then it will be correct either way.
The next version of dispcalGUI will eliminate the need for 3rd party utilities like CPKeeper, because it will have a improved profile loader that'll keep the calibration loaded.

3.) Does that mean a game that reset VCGT ran with 3d LUT NOT applying calibration would not have the calibration at all?

Yes, but only if the display profile does incorporate calibration. E.g. if you use the current ReShade preset without changing anything, and then later install that profile in the OS, it won't incorporate calibration. [ Also see my note at the very bottom of this post ]

4.) And likewise does that mean a game that keeps VCGT ran with 3d LUT applying calibrations would have the calibration applied twice?

Yes.

I'm still trying to figure out how to best design the ReShade 3D LUT preset. Maybe it's reasonable to expect that people will want calibration (for non-color-managed applications and the Windows desktop), so I'm probably going to change the preset accordingly.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade, Dispcalgui, and 3D LUT options.

thechris2233 wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how to best design the ReShade 3D LUT preset. Maybe it's reasonable to expect that people will want calibration (for non-color-managed applications and the Windows desktop), so I'm probably going to change the preset accordingly.

I don't have much experience in that field, so can't help you there unfortunately.

thechris2233 wrote: First, where do I go to throw money at ReShade?

ReShade is financed by advertising on this website. Donations could not cover the server costs, so the option was removed.

• thechris2233
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #4 by thechris2233 Replied by thechris2233 on topic Reshade, Dispcalgui, and 3D LUT options.

thechris2233 wrote: First, where do I go to throw money at ReShade?

ReShade is financed by advertising on this website. Donations could not cover the server costs, so the option was removed.[/quote]

Well I unblocked you guys in ublock so there's that. Might be worth opening a paypal donation option somewhere too. Maybe I'm a unicorn but I like to think there are others that don't mind throwing even a least a little monies to projects that have been useful to them. Obviously you guys have put a lot of time and effort in this. I'd love the option to buy you and/or your team a couple beers :P

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.