Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade

• Snowy
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #1 by Snowy Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade was created by Snowy
First of all I need to mention, my English is not the best.
But that's not the point here. Something I need to say at the start is that the title is true and false at the same time.
Why?
Simply because I tested about 4 Games with d3d8 and older for some it did work for others it does not.
I´m a kind of gamer who loves older Games, for example Far Cry 1, Spellforce 1, Need for Speed Most Wanted(2005), Black and White 1 and The Settler 3/4.
On the other side, I love it to give older Games the maximum Graphic possible, by adding new textures and Post Processing Effects (like Reshade).
But as you all know for games older than d3d9 it doesn't work.
Why?
I don't know :P
But what I know is that there exists a solution for this Problem, called: dgVoodoo 2
Homepage: dege.freeweb.hu
What it does is basically simple and complex at the same time....
dgVoodoo 2 is a wrapper for old graphics API's.
Which exactly can you see on the Homepage.
It ports these old graphics API's to the new API d3d11, which (as you know) works with Reshade.
However, some games for example Spellforce 1 doesn't work.
Why? Don't know :lol:
What I know is that this game should be working with d3d9 but it does not. Because Reshade doesn't work with or without dgVoodoo.
If I wake up your interest, its really easy to set up. So just use Google, and your are good to go. ^^

P.S: I don't know if I am in the right thread with this Topic. So every admin fell free to move me :blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade
ReShade already has its own D3D8 compatibility wrapper, which is available at github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases .
For games running on D3D1-7 or DDraw, try DXGL ( www.dxgl.info/ ).
For games running on Glide and when the above don't work, try dgVoodoo2.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by crosire.

• Snowy
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #3 by Snowy Replied by Snowy on topic Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade
Basically, yes. But first of all I know DXGL and it's not as compatible and performance friendly as dgVoodoo.
Plus dgVoodoo is an all around solution and works for the most Games. And you can configure it much more as for example DXGL.
But correct me when I am wrong. :lol:

Greets Snowy

• JBeckman
More
6 years 7 months ago #4 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade
dgVoodoo2 is pretty handy but not all games wrap correctly but it's still seeing periodic updates and it's forum topic on the Vogons community is still active with reports and compatibility updates for various games.

The website got hit by a false positive virus warning so the current 2.54 version might be a bit troublesome to download depending on the browser as well and the experimental test version has a number of additional fixes but can be a bit unstable.

It's certainly handy but I haven't used it much myself aside from some testing in the Trails of the Sky games before they got patched to natively support DX9 instead of being DX8 only. (Old games, pretty impressive of dgVoodoo to wrap it into D3D11 actually but while that worked pretty well I didn't have much luck getting ReShade into the mix whereas the D3D8->D3D9 utility hosted here worked fairly well.)

• Snowy
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #5 by Snowy Replied by Snowy on topic Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade
I for myself had the exact opposite experience. I tested 2 Games and the d3d8to9 wrapped didn´t work for me at all. So I searched for a similar solution and had the luck to find dgVoodoo and I just wanted to mention it for all users of Reshade because, I can't be the only one who had this Problem.

• brussell
More
6 years 7 months ago #6 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Play every game older then Dx9(d3d9) with Reshade

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.