Gaming without Reshade. Make it work with Vulkan!

• skibo5
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #1 by skibo5 Gaming without Reshade. Make it work with Vulkan! was created by skibo5
I recently started playing Wolfenstein 2 and quickly realized the devs decided to use Vulkan for the title.

Even though Vulkan runs amazing the lack of reshade support just kills the game for me.

I was just curious as to why games look so foggy without using reshade? The colors are just terrible in all the games my friends and I play.

You would think devs would incorporate something into their games to remove the cloud floating on your screen overtop of the game.

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work crosire!

Hope you guys can figure out a workaround as I can see more games using Vulkan in the future. Doom and Wolf run amazing.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by skibo5.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JBeckman
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #2 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Gaming without Reshade. Make it work with Vulkan!
Support for DX12 and Vulkan were tentatively begun in early versions of ReShade but then dropped and put on hold, Crosire recently posted just a few days ago on why Vulkan wasn't supported by ReShade just because supporting these low-level API's would be a lot of work though perhaps in time ReShade could support them.
(EDIT: From what I can tell of some of the Github commits and data at least.)

Github and open sourcing helps too but there hasn't been that many commits for ReShade itself because it's a pretty complex piece of software. :)

For Wolfenstein unlocking the debug console and tinkering with the cvars help a bit, Vulkan however (And DX12) also limits shader editing and viewing (Vulkan uses a different shader format entirely, SPRIV or what it was called if i remember correctly though it supports GLSL too.) so using tools like 3D Migato or similar to straight up alter the existing games shaders isn't going to help either.

Not too sure how much drivers and such play a role either, Vulkan has a little launcher software too which is also updated with new bug fixes and features in addition to Vulkan API support in the drivers (Both AMD and Nvidia have made a lot of improvements here.) and then there's the games implementation of the API as well which I would assume depends on which SDK version of Vulkan it was built against. Might not matter too much overall for ReShade and how it would work for the API though hooking into and wrapping shader injection support. :)

EDIT:
reshade.me/forum/suggestions/3687-vulkan

Crosire's post for a previous topic asking this question. :)
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by JBeckman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skibo5

• skibo5
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #3 by skibo5 Replied by skibo5 on topic Gaming without Reshade. Make it work with Vulkan!
Thanks for the informative reply.

Any idea why games look so foggy without using reshade?

I know its not a monitor issue or anything like that. I have a nice 144hz ips acer monitor and all of my friends have the same foggy issues in video games.

My desktop colors are great but games always look washed out.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 5 months ago #4 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic Gaming without Reshade. Make it work with Vulkan!
Short Answer: Because Reshade is awesome...

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.