How to tone down blown out whites?

• RealRobD
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #1 by RealRobD How to tone down blown out whites? was created by RealRobD
What shader would I use with Reshade to tone down whites that are to bright?

I've tried a couple but it seems that everything but the whites get darker :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 4 months ago #2 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic How to tone down blown out whites?
If the highlights of the game without reshade are clipping at all, they're impossible fully recover.

• RealRobD
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #3 by RealRobD Replied by RealRobD on topic How to tone down blown out whites?
This is a screenshot with Reshade off and brightness as low as the game will allow.

As you can see, the whites are ridiculously bright.

https://imgur.com/a/8u5Rf

Sorry I can't get a pic to post no matter what I do :(
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by RealRobD.

• RealRobD
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #4 by RealRobD Replied by RealRobD on topic How to tone down blown out whites?
Anyone? Anything?

• mbah.primbon
More
6 years 4 months ago #5 by mbah.primbon Replied by mbah.primbon on topic How to tone down blown out whites?
Hm.. i use Levels or tonemap shader to remove/reduce the highlight clipping,

• Insomnia
More
6 years 4 months ago #6 by Insomnia Replied by Insomnia on topic How to tone down blown out whites?
Reinhard linear shader decreases the puncturing whites but it doesn't really tone it down. Reinhard in general is a good way of balancing the extreme contrasts in certain scenes.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #7 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic How to tone down blown out whites?

RealRobD wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

The detail's lost there, as there's a lot of clipping. You'll never be able to fix that.

At most you can reduce the max white point so that it's more of a light grey blob instead of a white blob...

or brighten everything else so it's not as bad by contrast...

Note that those are some over-simplified changes. Take some time fine-tuning your game to make it look its best with your setup.
My personal take:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by FierySwordswoman.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.