Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too

• Mobeeuz
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #1 by Mobeeuz Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too was created by Mobeeuz
GeForce Experience just added something called Freestyle , a set of in-game customizable filters. Essentially a library of 38 shaders that only works with 15 games so far, but it's hard not to see where the inspiration came from...
The following user(s) said Thank You: brazzjazz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ShoterXX
More
6 years 3 months ago #2 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
Interesting alternative, but considering the limited support so far, and the apparent lack of support for custom shaders...
However, for games like Overwatch (if they ever get support), Paladins, CSGO and such, it's a pretty viable option, as it should avoid the grey area...

• brazzjazz
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #3 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
Interesting! Looks much more elegant than ReShade with its controls, but I think in general a community-driven tool will be superior, as it's usually more open to contributions and more customizable. There is a sense of freedom I just don't get with commercial tools... However, it seems that ReShade is largely driven by one, two guys currently? As honourable as their work is, the fate of many tools rests at the whims of their creators - time, interests, dedication etc. If I were nerdier than I am already, I'd love to contribute to tools such as MPC-HC or ReShade. Maybe some day.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by brazzjazz.

• NoMansReshade
More
6 years 3 months ago #4 by NoMansReshade Replied by NoMansReshade on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
I'll only be impressed when they add a volumetric shadows shader :lol:

• lowenz
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #5 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
It's a good thing for competitive multiplayer games (injection->cheating detection)
Otherwise ReShade rocks.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by lowenz.

• Qsimil
More
6 years 3 months ago #6 by Qsimil Replied by Qsimil on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
As long it supportsVulkan / DX12 games then i'm happy (and even more when someone will find the way to hack these shaders to be more configurable).

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #7 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
Well I wrote many of the filters for FreeStyle and crosire is afaik on the team (they have/had support for parsing ReShade shader files in the builds I used), so it's not really inspiration :p

ReShade is superior for specific applications like total screen archery or polish away decades from old games with MXAO and what not but FreeStyle is a super easy way to polish up and customize games without the fuzz of installing a mod, worrying about support, worrying about anticheat and so on. Not everyone wants to dedicate hour(s) into figuring out how2reshade.
We've made sure to keep the amount of filters low but still cover most important areas so you can get pretty far with FreeStyle already.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NattyDread

• Qsimil
More
6 years 3 months ago #8 by Qsimil Replied by Qsimil on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
As long they add support for more games i would be satisfied with just using Freestyle.

• brussell
More
6 years 3 months ago #9 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too

Marty McFly wrote: ReShade is superior for specific applications like total screen archery or polish away decades from old games with MXAO and what not...

And most importantly: it's hardware-agnostic :P
I hope ReShade will not get incorporated in the long run...

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 3 months ago #10 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
AMD is free to launch a counter-campaign. There's only so much you can do with depth + color so the featureset would be pretty similar.

• Martigen
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too

Marty McFly wrote: Well I wrote many of the filters for FreeStyle and crosire is afaik on the team (they have/had support for parsing ReShade shader files in the builds I used), so it's not really inspiration :p

*jaw drops*

Well, well done both of you, I hope they paid you well :) You both do amazing work. And on that note, I'm guessing Freeshade doesn't do any depthbuffer effects? (although, did I hear DOF mentioned somewhere?). I'm presuming this given the hit-and-miss nature of effectively grabbing the depth buffer. Speaking of, MXAO? :)

Oh dear, I just noticed I spelt it 'Freeshade' above not Freestyle. I guess it is actually Freeshade...

EDIT: and why is it 'supported games only'? Reshade works on everything.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Martigen.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 3 months ago #12 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
Well, the depth buffer recognition suffers the same issues as in ReShade, I got reversed depth buffer in GTASA vs Witche 3 for example. Also currently it's limited to DX games so OGL won't work. For a free and open sourced tool you can go "I tried on these games, just try out where it works or not" but a company like Nvidia must be able to guarantee that it's working (that means in-depth testing on each and every game on their list, I saw the docs).

I'm not satisfied about the DoF that's been shipped, I made a much upgraded version they didn't deliver because it's behaving weirdly for some reason, their shader format is difficult to work with (texture declaration, render targets and what not are done in a separate .yaml file which behaves super weird, but that could be me).

Afaik they didn't accomodate for reversed/log depth buffers (yet) so DoF might act weirdly. I got MXAO running on FreeStyle but again, old issues with fog and what not - but in the future if and when excluding UI etc comes - remember, they are in touch with game devs - that could mean you have a global replacer for HBAO+ per Nvidia Inspector =)

Personally, I switched to FreeStyle on PUBG because it's just so much easier to use. On old games where I desperately need MXAO with custom stuff like advanced bloom etc, there's no way around ReShade.

• ShoterXX
More
6 years 3 months ago #13 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
So, can it be enabled/disabled via a simple driver flag, or does it require compatibility bits or something of the sort?

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 3 months ago #14 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
It's a feature just like ShadowPlay. Run a common game like PUBG or whatever, press Alt + Z to make the UI show up and select FreeStyle.

• ShoterXX
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
I meant to force it.
EDIT: Yep, that was easy.
EDIT2: PSO2 depth is inverted, but seems fine. Gameguard hasn't tripped either,
EDIT3: Wait, this literally behaves like ReShade.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ShoterXX.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 3 months ago #16 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
I think they have a whitelist of some sort so you cannot enable feature levels on games where you're not supposed to do it. Like CSGO for example, enabling depth access would be fatal.

• ShoterXX
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
Well, it seems to work just like ReShade. Depth works, until there's data going back and forth, then just stops.
White-listing seems to be just a driver flag for each application. 0x00000000 is default for disabled (FIFA 18 and Fortnite?), 0x00000004 for enabled.
There's a bunch of unused values though.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ShoterXX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus

• Chavolatra
More
6 years 3 months ago #18 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
and performance is more better compared to reshade ???

• blackdragonbird
More
6 years 3 months ago #19 by blackdragonbird Replied by blackdragonbird on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
@ShoterXX, how to force it?

I found the flags in Inspector but it seems to have no effect in the games I tried.

• ShoterXX
More
6 years 3 months ago #20 by ShoterXX Replied by ShoterXX on topic Looks like Nvidia thinks Reshade is awesome too
Requirements:
- Driver version 390.65 or above;
- Geforce Experience 3.12 or above;
- NVIDIA Profile Inspector 2.1.3.10 or above.

Using it:
After installing all that stuff above, use Profile Inspector, select game <whatever>, and under "Other", set flag "Ansel for freestyle mode" to 0x00000004.
Make sure the overlay is working with <whatever>.
Use Alt+Z (or Alt+F3) in-game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: acknowledge

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.