[WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?

• Imanidiotforstupidstuff
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #1 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)? was created by Imanidiotforstupidstuff
Hi everyone. I am obviously some sort of idiot, because I don't know how to turn on SMAA in Witcher 3.
-I only want the most basic lightweight smaa to replace the atrocious in game aa.

Thanks.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Imanidiotforstupidstuff.
The topic has been locked.
  • klotim
More
5 years 7 months ago #2 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
Press shift + f2, look for SMAA and activate it. You can configure it to your likings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Imanidiotforstupidstuff
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #3 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff Replied by Imanidiotforstupidstuff on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
Mhm. But "HOW" do I activate and configure it?
  • Wicked Sick
More
5 years 7 months ago #4 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
With ReShade's overlay open, check the SMAA box to activate it then go to the second tab, the one called "settings" and look for the "configuration mode" and choose the option that isn't "performance mode" so you can edit the SMAA's settings. After you are done, choose again the performance mode to have piece of mind.

i.imgur.com/xNEf6Wd.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Imanidiotforstupidstuff
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #5 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff Replied by Imanidiotforstupidstuff on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
Thank you.
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #6 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff Replied by Imanidiotforstupidstuff on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
1.) Is this new reshade some sort of madness or a good joke!?? I have turn on smaa EVERY freaking time I start the game. Why don't the settings stick???

2.) And how do I edit settings when NOT IN-GAME?

3.) These reshade developers aren't even capable of making a normal installer and a reshade app with a GUI. Do people like those feel better when they make everything difficult? A simple standalone GUI outside a game, unified for all games is obviously an extreme challenge to make is it?
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #7 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
There's an installer as well as a GUI, dunno what you're talking about. Other than that: Did you actually follow the tutorial steps upon startup?
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Uncle Crassius.
  • klotim
More
5 years 7 months ago #8 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?

Imanidiotforstupidstuff wrote: 1.) Is this new reshade some sort of madness or a good joke!?? I have turn on smaa EVERY freaking time I start the game. Why don't the settings stick???

3.) These reshade developers aren't even capable of making a normal installer and a reshade app with a GUI. Do people like those feel better when they make everything difficult? A simple standalone GUI outside a game, unified for all games is obviously an extreme challenge to make is it?

1: You need to set a preset, as it was shown when you first started reshade for the first time. It will then save to that preset.

2: Can't remember about that one.

3: Well it's free to use, can't say they have to make it easy for everyone
  • Tojkar
More
5 years 7 months ago #9 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?

Imanidiotforstupidstuff wrote: 1.) Is this new reshade some sort of madness or a good joke!?? I have turn on smaa EVERY freaking time I start the game. Why don't the settings stick???

1. We got a bad ass here. So bad that he can't even read tutorials, which by default is shown everytime Reshade is installed and started up the first time. How about you get your head out of your ass and read it.

2. If you managed to get your head out from where sun does not shine and actually read the tutorial and completing it, you should see a new file in the game folder. Yes, exactly the same file you named in the tutorial. That file has the shader configs and you can edit it with any text editor outside of the game, although I cannot see any reason to do that. It's much better to do that in-game where you can see the changes immediately instead of blindly guessing.

3. Reshade is open source. Instead of blaming the developers of your own arrogance, how about you take the source code yourself and develop a preset editor for it yourself.
  • Wicked Sick
More
5 years 7 months ago #10 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
LOL ReShade is hard to use LOL
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #11 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff Replied by Imanidiotforstupidstuff on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
@Tojkar
Just because it's open source means you can't take critique? WTF!? Why do these open source people think they're big shots just because you put "effort" into making something open source? It obviously makes you feel better that way. Tutorials would not be necessary if reshade was made to be used in an intelligent way. But its not. Instead I have to waste time to learn programming just to modify EFFECTS!? Are you devs MAD? You should make it so that normal people without programming knowledge can use reshade and add shader effects. When I saw the settings for SMAA I thought - just make sliders based on standards, an so for all shaders. And leave the current editing configuration for people who like to play hacker stuff. You reshade devs get off you high horse and stop acting like you invented GTX 1080 Ti / Titan X Pascal / and DSR + MFAA. Saying shit like "ReShade" can do a lot more than Ray Tracing used by Nvidia RTX series" ARE YOU INSANE? If "Reshade" is that miraculous it wouldn't be open source a long time ago.

@Wicked Sick
LOL Häagen-Dazs ice cream is expensive!? LOL LOOOOOOOOOL! (I feel sorry for you.)
  • altokitty
More
5 years 7 months ago #12 by altokitty Replied by altokitty on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
Wow, I guess you do live up to your name.
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #13 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff Replied by Imanidiotforstupidstuff on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
What part?
  • altokitty
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #14 by altokitty Replied by altokitty on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
Oh, nice to see you removed certain strongly worded responses to Uncle Crassius and klotim too. If I remember, you said something about having ReShade work as an external application, styled after the W10 GUI. Now, it can't work that way because this "hooks" onto applications in order to inject shaders. I'll leave it to someone more qualified to explain, but it simply can't be an external thing.

But to respond to your comments to Tojkar, the term "open source" was used to simply mean ReShade is being developed for free. Free in the monetary sense. No one's being paid to develop its code and all its shaders, people are doing it because they just want to. So in that, there's zero obligation to make it a "consumer product" "for everyone". As long as its understandable (and it is, by the way, just take some time to read its stuff), it's good enough.
No, you don't have to learn programming. Please, open up a preset file and spend the time reading it. It reads identically to what you see in ReShade's GUI. If you really want to hop out of the game to edit your stuff, which I genuinely don't see why you wouldn't just Shift+F2 and change stuff on the fly (you don't have to reload the shaders, it updates real-time), you just need to open your [preset].ini, look for the line, say EdgeDetectionThreshold for SMAA, change the =[value] to what you want, reload the shaders. It's genuinely very simple. You don't have to go in and edit the shader files.
And where did all the comments about "these people inventing this tech" come from? No one here's made a graphics card, nor invented some crazy new anti-aliasing algorithms, nor even claimed that it holds a candle to real-time ray-tracing. You're the one putting those words in their mouth. You have to realise, what all these very kind people are doing is bringing the bleeding-edge research done in post-processing for modern games down to ReShade, where it can be used to improve the look of older games, or just customise the look of current ones.

Why bring up Haagen-Dazs being expensive? It's an obtuse comment that even in response to Wicked Sick doesn't even remotely make sense nor relate.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by altokitty.
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #15 by Imanidiotforstupidstuff Replied by Imanidiotforstupidstuff on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
I swear I read yesterday, someone well acclaimed here in the community, stated: "ReShade can do a lot more than Ray Tracing..." That I swear and I will find it again.

As for my comment about Häagen-Dazs it's a reply to "LOL ReShade is hard to use LOL" that was laughing at me not knowing to use reshade. So I laughed back with the Häagen-Dazs comment, referring to how people think Häagen-Dazs is expensive. It's very laughable because all of those people/that type of people, usually have a lot more money than me, yet believe Häagen-Dazs is expensive without even trying it. I can't stop eating it anymore since the day I tried it. All other ice cream is water candy taste likr sh** compared to the real original materials of Häagen-Dazs. It's sooo dense man! Like amazing, the taste! If you never heard of it (it is THE BEST ice cream in the world), and if you look it up, you will encounter lame plebians saying its over rated and other plebian comments. Well Starbucks is shit. I meam, WHY NOT spend on Häagen-Dazs!? People these days (even some with a 1080 Ti) will rather spend on alcohol and cigarettes than on Häagen-Dazs. Thats lame! Thats like saying Bluefin Tuna dish is not tasty! Thats lame! Because its awesome! I have no words to describe it.

Anyway, who are Uncle Crassius and klotim? (I like to delete my comments or parts of them, because I see that irritates people for I don't know what reason.)
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by crosire. Reason: Insult cleanup
  • klotim
More
5 years 7 months ago #16 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?

Imanidiotforstupidstuff wrote: Anyway, who are Uncle Crassius and klotim? (I like to delete my comments or parts of them, because I see that irritates people for I don't know what reason.)

Im your father luke, and Crassius is your uncle mario
  • crosire
More
5 years 7 months ago #17 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [WITCHER 3] How (the hell) to turn on SMAA (only)?
Might I remind everybody of the forum RULES which include this nice little item called "Do not insult/attack other users". And this applies to both sides. Locking this thread for now. Thank you.
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.