How to backup Reshade?

• mileafly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #1 by mileafly How to backup Reshade? was created by mileafly
Say you have created a Reshade setting you really like, how do you backup it if you need to format your computer? Is it enough to just save the one .ini file?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tojkar
More
5 years 6 months ago #2 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic How to backup Reshade?
There is three things you should copy depending on how future proof you want your backup to be.

1. Copy the ini file in the installation folder.
2. Copy the reshade folder to backup the actual shaders and textures. This ensures that you'll always have all of the shaders included in your preset in case of them disappearing from the internet.
3. Copy the dll files, again from the same place. Reshade has changed a lot from the start and neither old configs nor shaders are compatible with newer version.

The first one is mandatory. The last two future proofs the backup so you'll always have working version until directX ceases to exist in its current form.

• mileafly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3 by mileafly Replied by mileafly on topic How to backup Reshade?

Tojkar wrote: There is three things you should copy depending on how future proof you want your backup to be.

1. Copy the ini file in the installation folder.
2. Copy the reshade folder to backup the actual shaders and textures. This ensures that you'll always have all of the shaders included in your preset in case of them disappearing from the internet.
3. Copy the dll files, again from the same place. Reshade has changed a lot from the start and neither old configs nor shaders are compatible with newer version.

The first one is mandatory. The last two future proofs the backup so you'll always have working version until directX ceases to exist in its current form.

Thanks! I should always test first with just replacing the .ini file then if I reinstall a game that I want to reapply an old config then? Since I assume that they actually add and fix and make things better in later versions of Reshade that have other dll files and shaders?

• Tojkar
More
5 years 6 months ago #4 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic How to backup Reshade?
Sorry, I do not understand the question?

• Wicked Sick
More
5 years 6 months ago #5 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic How to backup Reshade?
I think he means to say that, if he use his old backup with a new version of ReShade, would his backup be outdated or perform worse with the "I assume that they actually add and fix and make things better in later versions of Reshade ".

@Mileafly, if I am correct about what you meant to say, I just backup my "preset", the .INI file that you create with your settings, all the rest I get the new. Also, you could be checking in the github to see if the shaders had any update.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.