Simple question about modifying SMAA.fx to use the depthbuffer as a mask

• Daemonjax
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 4 days ago - 3 years 3 days ago #1 by Daemonjax Simple question about modifying SMAA.fx to use the depthbuffer as a mask was created by Daemonjax
So, for the game Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade I want to modify the SMAA shader to use the depthbuffer as a mask because I want to take advantage of the engine quirk that all the text (and only the text) is completely black in the depth buffer.

So, if I could use it as a mask (where the changes to the pixel are discarded if the depthbuffer at that pixel is compeltely black), SMAA won't blur the text very much (if at all).

I've already accomplished the above for qUINT's MXAO shader and it greatly improved text readability in this game.  This was VERY straightforward due to how it's coded (it was literally one added line of code + the #define to make it a reshade menu toggle).
void PS_StencilSetup(in MXAO_VSOUT MXAO, out float4 color : SV_Target0)
{        
    float distance = qUINT::linear_depth(MXAO.uv.zw);

if(    distance >= MXAO_FADE_DEPTH_END
#if(MXAO_MASK_CLOSE != 0)
        || distance == 0.0
#endif        
        || 0.25 * 0.5 * MXAO_SAMPLE_RADIUS / (tex2D(sMXAO_DepthTex, MXAO.uv.zw).x + 2.0) * BUFFER_HEIGHT < 1.0
        || MXAO.uv.z > 1.0
        || MXAO.uv.w > 1.0
        ) discard;

color = 1.0;
}

It's been years since I coded shaders and SMAA.fx and SMAA.fxh are a bit confusing to me due to all the #define aliases and I'm rusty.

Basically all I want to do is sample the depth texture, test if it's perfectly black, and then discard if it is.  I can probably do better than using a discard, but whatever.

I'm thinking this is the function within SMAA.fx that I want to modify, using depthLinearSampler:
float2 SMAAEdgeDetectionWrapPS(
    float4 position : SV_Position,
    float2 texcoord : TEXCOORD0,
    float4 offset[3] : TEXCOORD1) : SV_Target
{

// do stuff here: sample depthLinearSampler, test if the pixel perfectly black, and then discard if it is

if (EdgeDetectionType == 0 && SMAA_PREDICATION == true)
        return SMAALumaEdgePredicationDetectionPS(texcoord, offset, colorGammaSampler, depthLinearSampler);
    else if (EdgeDetectionType == 0)
        return SMAALumaEdgeDetectionPS(texcoord, offset, colorGammaSampler);

if (EdgeDetectionType == 2)
        return SMAADepthEdgeDetectionPS(texcoord, offset, depthLinearSampler);

if (SMAA_PREDICATION)
        return SMAAColorEdgePredicationDetectionPS(texcoord, offset, colorGammaSampler, depthLinearSampler);
    else
        return SMAAColorEdgeDetectionPS(texcoord, offset, colorGammaSampler);
}

Can anyone throw me a bone?

Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 3 years 3 days ago by Daemonjax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daemonjax
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 days ago - 3 years 3 days ago #2 by Daemonjax Replied by Daemonjax on topic Simple question about modifying SMAA.fx to use the depthbuffer as a mask
I slept on it and I figure the following should do the trick since I don't need to pre-process the depthbuffer for this game:

float distance = tex2Dlod(depthBuffer, float4(texcoords, 0, 0)).x;

EDIT: Yeps, works perfectly.
Last edit: 3 years 3 days ago by Daemonjax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.