Help with lighting?

• rlaugh0095
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #1 by rlaugh0095 Help with lighting? was created by rlaugh0095
Hi everyone! I need some advice. So, I make reshades for old gamecube/wii games and a problem that I always run into is, I use bloom for lighting and I will find an appropriate level for an area and it will look beautiful, but some areas/characters that contain a lot of white, so they end up being wayyyy to bright.

An example

Im cool with everything but the girl with the white hair pretty much, but if I balance the game around her, area's where I like the bloom tend to suffer.
A great way to bypass this is if the shader could not bloom white things, but I have no idea if I can do that or not. o.o

Another option is if I could just ditch bloom all together and find another way to improve lighting. Dolphin doesn't natively work with any of the depth based shaders, they have to be ported to dolphin by the developer of a unofficial build of dolphin by the name of tino, so some of the options aren't viable atm, but I do have access to global illumination, DOF, and ssao.

So any advice for me? I would gladly appreciate any yall could give me.

Oh and im using the latest mediator for my effects by the way.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rlaugh0095.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sekta
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #2 by Sekta Replied by Sekta on topic Help with lighting?
You could compile your preset into a LUT and then manipulate it in Photoshop so that your preset only affects the color ranges you choose. (also make your preset have zero performance impact). This is done using the TUNINGPALETTE shader. To generate a LUT using your preset, open mediator and do an offline preview, hold L then screenshot.

Basically enable the bloom effect, generate the LUT, then select the highlights color range, around 255 with 40% fuzziness or so, and mask it with a slight feather. Then your bloom will not effect the extreme end of the highlights. I would experiment with Spherical Tonemap as well, just set strength to 0.1-0.3. Then use a weaker bloom.

If you want, reply back with your bloom settings and I could see if it's possible with a LUT.

Here is an example of the result of a LUT. Notice how I preserve the highlights?

sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/29532/full/
sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/29788/full/
sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/30372/full/
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Sekta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, pancakeman, jas01, rlaugh0095

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.