Which one's the best sharpener?

• kurtextrem
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #1 by kurtextrem Which one's the best sharpener? was created by kurtextrem
So far we have Adaptive Sharpen (I've seen one post that this one's better than Luma Sharpen in terms of "Not highlighting sharpened objects"), Fine Sharp, Luma Sharpen and reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/529...ncement?limitstart=0 High Pass Sharpen.

Has anyone any experience with those or has possibly compared them?
I'm especially interested in sharpening after FXAA: Which one of those produces the best quality afterwards.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by kurtextrem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kleio420
More
8 years 1 week ago #2 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic Which one's the best sharpener?

kurtextrem wrote: So far we have Adaptive Sharpen (I've seen one post that this one's better than Luma Sharpen in terms of "Not highlighting sharpened objects"), Fine Sharp, Luma Sharpen and reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/529...ncement?limitstart=0 High Pass Sharpen.

Has anyone any experience with those or has possibly compared them?
I'm especially interested in sharpening after FXAA: Which one of those produces the best quality afterwards.

you could put fine sharpen after fxaa in the load order to make sure its running after fxaa if luma sharpen was designed around running on depth then smoothing over line edges it would help fix the aliasing it highlights

• kurtextrem
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #3 by kurtextrem Replied by kurtextrem on topic Which one's the best sharpener?
No, the FXAA comes from my driver, not from Reshade.

• Kleio420
More
8 years 1 week ago #4 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic Which one's the best sharpener?

kurtextrem wrote: No, the FXAA comes from my driver, not from Reshade.

then really its up to you i like finesharp ,adaptive idk what values do what or some way to view how they change things so i with default i think its way to strong , luma is good but personally perfer finesharp

• Kuniyo
More
8 years 1 week ago #5 by Kuniyo Replied by Kuniyo on topic Which one's the best sharpener?
I prefer Luma myself, it seems to be the one with the least impact on FPS.

For some reason if I enable Fine Sharp I lose ~90 fps in CS:GO instantly, with the default values.
It gets a bit better after tweaking but the performance impact is way to high to use it in my opinion.

I also quite like Adaptive Sharpen but for some games it kinda hard to use without over sharpening it, but that might just be my noob skills haha :)

Have fun trying them all out! :P

• kurtextrem
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #6 by kurtextrem Replied by kurtextrem on topic Which one's the best sharpener?

Kuniyo wrote: I prefer Luma myself, it seems to be the one with the least impact on FPS.

For some reason if I enable Fine Sharp I lose ~90 fps in CS:GO instantly, with the default values.
It gets a bit better after tweaking but the performance impact is way to high to use it in my opinion.

I also quite like Adaptive Sharpen but for some games it kinda hard to use without over sharpening it, but that might just be my noob skills haha :)

Have fun trying them all out! :P

Wow 90 fps.. that is huge.
So I guess last stand is Luma vs Adaptive vs High Pass

• kurtextrem
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #7 by kurtextrem Replied by kurtextrem on topic Which one's the best sharpener?
In Rainbow Six Siege, AdaptiveSharpen seems to sharp edges better than LumaSharpen (on 2.5), but the overall image quality seems to be lowered.

• F D B
More
7 years 3 months ago #8 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic Which one's the best sharpener?
Hey!
I only have LumaSharpen and Adaptive Sharpen in my Reshade! Why don't I have the others and where could I get them?

Thank you!

• robgrab
More
7 years 3 months ago #9 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Which one's the best sharpener?
I use a combination of Adaptive Sharpen and Clarity on every single game.

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #10 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic Which one's the best sharpener?
In terms of quality i think it's something like this. FineSharp>AdaptiveSharpen>HIghPassSharpen>Lumasharpen
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Aelius Maximus.

• Martigen
More
6 years 11 months ago #11 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Which one's the best sharpener?

Aelius Maximus wrote: In terms of quality i think it's something like this. FineSharp>AdaptiveSharpen>HIghPassSharpen>Lumasharpen

It's actually not about that, as the each sharpener works in a different way and so generates different results.

I frequently combine two and sometimes three different sharpeners at different stages in the pipeline, bringing out their effects depending on the look I'm going for.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.