Frame Interpolation

• Krutonium
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #1 by Krutonium Frame Interpolation was created by Krutonium
Would it be possible to create a shader to interpolate frames? I was thinking the shader should delay the current frame from showing until the next one is done rendering, then interpolate the frames in between, bringing a game like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Native 20 FPS) up to 60.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 4 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Frame Interpolation
No. ReShade cannot add frames. It can only modify existing ones.

• v00d00m4n
More
7 years 2 months ago #3 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic Frame Interpolation
We can actually use interpolation between current and buffered 1-2 previous fames and just lag behind 1-3 frameы. We don't need to add frames for that. Most games has 2-3 frames input lag, you can reduce it too 1 in driver and use freed 2 for interpolation without noticeable lag.

• NoMansReshade
More
7 years 2 months ago #4 by NoMansReshade Replied by NoMansReshade on topic Frame Interpolation

v00d00m4n wrote: We can actually use interpolation between current and buffered 1-2 previous fames and just lag behind 1-3 frameы. We don't need to add frames for that. Most games has 2-3 frames input lag, you can reduce it too 1 in driver and use freed 2 for interpolation without noticeable lag.

You could probably build off of the motion blur shader, as it grabs the previous frame. I would love to see how this functions, as I got Reshade working with the Cemu emulator ;)

• v00d00m4n
More
7 years 2 months ago #5 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic Frame Interpolation
Well, motion blur is basically a frame interpolation of some sort. Thing is, what we talking about is a little bit different algorithm like one you can see in PowerDVD and other movie players. But movies has a little advantage over games which makes movies look smother at lower frame rate and even more smoother at higher - most of frames in movies already has baked motion blur, so basically when you rotate 2 frames with objects in motion, it feels like your have more than 2 frames. Its a natural interpolation. Games don't have that, until game has really well implemented cinematic motion blur, but most of games actually use over the top motion blur that not just blurs the shit out moving objects.

I played a little with reshade motion blur, it did not look good or natural, no matter what kind of settings I used.
It could be used as based templatу for previous frame capture, but interpolation should done same way as here www.svp-team.com .

I remember at least 2 games that has similar frame interpolation - DooM 3 BFG edition and Star Wars Force Unleashed.
www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundr...d-60fps-tech-article
haven't read these docs but I think they describe method they used
dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1837047 this document is paid.
I think this slide show has same content (maybe a little less detailed:
and.intercon.ru/rtfrucvg_html_slides/
and.intercon.ru/releases/talks/rtfrucvg/
article called How to Get From 30 to 60 Frames Per Second in Video Games for "Free"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ka0us

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.