Waifu2x Shader ?

• AcidRains
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1 by AcidRains Waifu2x Shader ? was created by AcidRains
Wonder if anyone interested in this wonderful image upscaler tool? especially for 2d anime games
here's some reference pics after processing, looks really great
www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3b0mqs/f...neural_networkbased/

or this
imgur.com/a/jnXxA

really hope someone can come out with an idea to code a waifu2x shader :)
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by AcidRains.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 3 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Waifu2x Shader ?
This works with neural network for pattern recognition. The algorithm really "knows" what's on the picture instead of just processing pixels. This cannot be done in pixel shaders, sorry. Pixel shaders just "dumb" process pixels following certain rules, they don't care about the content of the picture, hence limited in their possibilities.

• AcidRains
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #3 by AcidRains Replied by AcidRains on topic Waifu2x Shader ?

Marty McFly wrote: This works with neural network for pattern recognition. The algorithm really "knows" what's on the picture instead of just processing pixels. This cannot be done in pixel shaders, sorry. Pixel shaders just "dumb" process pixels following certain rules, they don't care about the content of the picture, hence limited in their possibilities.

too pity to hear that, coz it's really great to have something like this, but it is alright, thanks for the answer, now i get it :)
but hey Marty, there is some other shader out there that can do quite similar effect right ? not the same but closer ? something like 2xSai ? Super Eagle ?
can't really remember but think i've seen a few of it

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 3 months ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Waifu2x Shader ?
If you just want to upscale static pictures, use Adobe Photoshop plugins like Alien Skin Blow Up or Perfect Resize. For video games, upscaling will look glitchy anyways.

• AcidRains
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5 by AcidRains Replied by AcidRains on topic Waifu2x Shader ?

Marty McFly wrote: If you just want to upscale static pictures, use Adobe Photoshop plugins like Alien Skin Blow Up or Perfect Resize. For video games, upscaling will look glitchy anyways.

Thanks for the explanation,Marty, good lesson :)
Since you're here, there is one more thing if you don't mind, kindly take a look at my last thread
reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/2661-on...cess-opengl-on-pcsx2
this i'm really thinking getting close to work it out but doesn't get any reply so far,
desperately want it to be real though, thanks for your time in advance and Happy New Year 2017 :)
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by AcidRains.

• Sh1nRa358
More
7 years 3 months ago #6 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Waifu2x Shader ?
"For video games, upscaling will look glitchy anyways. "

scalefx: x9
[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

Naaah.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #7 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Waifu2x Shader ?
So if there is a solution, why not use that?
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Marty McFly.

• Sh1nRa358
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #8 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Waifu2x Shader ?
because it's not available for everything. right now only for retroarch. it is the exact replicant of xbrz basically in shader form. and some of the effects shown with it were ported from ioxa's old gaussian bloom / unsharp mask/ etc. shader. And that's the purpose of reshade, to bring epicness everywhere xD

65% of reshade shaders can't be used for normal gameplay. they can, but you'd have to have knowledge of ahk and memory addresses to make said effects appear during certain times for a greater gameplay experience. and the lesser equivalent, xbr, does not even come close. so it would be nice if a shader that everyone actually wants (the xbrz shader equivalent) was ported to reshade for the greater good of the community :P I know the thread said waifu, but it acts the same and I'm pretty sure it surpasses it.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Sh1nRa358.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.