Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged?

• SirArthurStreebGreebling
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #1 by SirArthurStreebGreebling Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged? was created by SirArthurStreebGreebling
I remember reading a post on here by Marty saying this is a port of martins improved film grain shader but i cant seem to get anything close to it at all with Reshade 3.

Is this a known issue, or am i doing something wrong with the parameters? Its either unnoticeable for me at low settings, which wasnt the case before, or when its high it doesn't look like film grain at all and makes a criss-crossed pattern with lines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kleio420
More
6 years 11 months ago #2 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged?

SirArthurStreebGreebling wrote: I remember reading a post on here by Marty saying this is a port of martins improved film grain shader but i cant seem to get anything close to it at all with Reshade 3.

Is this a known issue, or am i doing something wrong with the parameters? Its either unnoticeable for me at low settings, which wasnt the case before, or when its high it doesn't look like film grain at all and makes a criss-crossed pattern with lines.

the latest update of reshade seems to have caused bugs in shaders this being one of them and brought old bugs that were fixed back why i lost interest in this idk how the main programmer finds time to work on this anymore when a driver update could break things

• XIIICaesar
More
6 years 11 months ago #3 by XIIICaesar Replied by XIIICaesar on topic Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged?
I got the same problem with it. After a few minutes the cross pattern guess away but it's annoying AF @first few minutes

• Alo81
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #4 by Alo81 Replied by Alo81 on topic Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged?
Hey guys. I went to play Silent Hill 2 recently and wanted to replace the in game Film Grain shader with Martins one. I gave it a shot and as you've said ,it was noticably bugged with a recognizable cross hatching pattern.

I've compared the old code to the new one and the issue is with line 40 of FilmGrain2.fx:
float noise = sin(dot(tc + timer.xx * 0.5, float2(12.9898, 78.233))) * 43758.5453;

Replacing it with the following resolves the issue.
float noise = sin(dot(float3(tc.x, tc.y, timer), float2(12.9898, 78.233))) * 43758.5453;

I'm sure there was some valid reason for believing the two lines of code to be functionally identical but in practice this isn't the case. If you do the above, you should be all good. I've tested with LA Noire and it looks great.

Anyone know if theres any particular process to go through to go about getting a change implemented in the official releases?
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Alo81.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.