Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged?

Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged? 11 months 3 weeks ago #1

I remember reading a post on here by Marty saying this is a port of martins improved film grain shader but i cant seem to get anything close to it at all with Reshade 3.

Is this a known issue, or am i doing something wrong with the parameters? Its either unnoticeable for me at low settings, which wasnt the case before, or when its high it doesn't look like film grain at all and makes a criss-crossed pattern with lines.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged? 11 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Kleio420
  • Thank you received: 29
SirArthurStreebGreebling wrote:
I remember reading a post on here by Marty saying this is a port of martins improved film grain shader but i cant seem to get anything close to it at all with Reshade 3.

Is this a known issue, or am i doing something wrong with the parameters? Its either unnoticeable for me at low settings, which wasnt the case before, or when its high it doesn't look like film grain at all and makes a criss-crossed pattern with lines.
the latest update of reshade seems to have caused bugs in shaders this being one of them and brought old bugs that were fixed back why i lost interest in this idk how the main programmer finds time to work on this anymore when a driver update could break things

Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged? 11 months 2 weeks ago #3

• XIIICaesar
  • Thank you received: 9
I got the same problem with it. After a few minutes the cross pattern guess away but it's annoying AF @first few minutes

Is Film Grain 2 (Martin/Alo's Film Grain) Bugged? 8 months 3 weeks ago #4

• Alo81
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey guys. I went to play Silent Hill 2 recently and wanted to replace the in game Film Grain shader with Martins one. I gave it a shot and as you've said ,it was noticably bugged with a recognizable cross hatching pattern.

I've compared the old code to the new one and the issue is with line 40 of FilmGrain2.fx:
float noise = sin(dot(tc + timer.xx * 0.5, float2(12.9898, 78.233))) * 43758.5453;

Replacing it with the following resolves the issue.
float noise = sin(dot(float3(tc.x, tc.y, timer), float2(12.9898, 78.233))) * 43758.5453;

I'm sure there was some valid reason for believing the two lines of code to be functionally identical but in practice this isn't the case. If you do the above, you should be all good. I've tested with LA Noire and it looks great.

Anyone know if theres any particular process to go through to go about getting a change implemented in the official releases?
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Alo81.