Question on AO

• Sub2Zer0
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #1 by Sub2Zer0 Question on AO was created by Sub2Zer0
I recently tried GTAO on COD WW2 and really liked it, due to its name and sudden appearance i was intrigued so i read around on some forum posts about GTAO. Long story short: i didn't get much of it, except claims that
it is a cheaper and more "realistic" AO than HBAO.

I'm kind of a newbie to this and personally i think it looks much better than HBAO but the second i turned it on in COD WW2 i instantly thought: "gee, this reminds me of MXAO".

Does anyone know the differences and similarities of the two?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duran.te
More
4 years 11 months ago #2 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic Question on AO

Marty McFly wrote: MXAO (as you maybe know) is based on Alchemy AO and therefore, along with HBAO+ and ASSAO which all work more or less the same, state of the art of 2012-2014.
[...]
Current state of the art method of computing SSAO is called Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion, short GTAO. It's a fairly new method from Activision, which is considered an upgrade to HBAO and tries to estimate the occlusion as physically accurate as possible.
[...]

Hope it clarified your doubts. :)
Besides, in that same post, Marty McFly announced an upgrade to his shader MXAO, based right on GTAO method.
If you're interested in that, you'll find it being included in the qUINT collection. Just change the preprocessor value "MXAO_HQ" from 0 to 1 to activate it, like this:
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• matsilagi
More
4 years 11 months ago #3 by matsilagi Replied by matsilagi on topic Question on AO
Please for the love of gods, DON'T edit the preprocessor on the FXes, ReShade has the Edit Global preprocessor settings button for a reason.

Doing like this it is saved on the preset and won't need the FX file to be redistributed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Duran.te

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.