What's the difference between depth buffer being logaritmic or not?

• Hiddenus
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #1 by Hiddenus What's the difference between depth buffer being logaritmic or not? was created by Hiddenus
I tried to search why I would like to have that option and what does it do, beside making normals look weird in DisplayDepth. Didn't find one. Someone willing to explain?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Martigen
More
4 years 1 week ago #2 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic What's the difference between depth buffer being logaritmic or not?
It's pinned just above this post in this forum.

reshade.me/forum/shader-discussion/4810-...s-in-displaydepth-fx

• Hiddenus
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #3 by Hiddenus Replied by Hiddenus on topic What's the difference between depth buffer being logaritmic or not?
Yeah, it does explain how to set DisplayDepth to find good settings for global parameters, but it doesn't explain why exactly why there are logaritmic normals and what is the difference from non-logaritmic (beside what we can see when checking it in Reshade ofc).

• Hiddenus
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #4 by Hiddenus Replied by Hiddenus on topic What's the difference between depth buffer being logaritmic or not?
I have a feeling that this forum is separated into two parts, where makers of effects talk between each other and other where people ask questions and never get the answer, because no one else knows what the hell is happening under the hood.
I bet there's 'delete account' option here, 'cuz this place is nice and useless. ^^

• crosire
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic What's the difference between depth buffer being logaritmic or not?
Not many games use a logarithmic depth buffer. Explanation of what it does is here (this was one of the first to introduce the concept): outerra.blogspot.com/2009/08/logarithmic-z-buffer.html
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by crosire.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.