Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

More
3 years 7 months ago #201 by Marty McFly
Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
In this case MXAO is working but ReShade doesn't find the depth buffer. No shader specific problem.
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 7 months ago #202 by sets
so what do i need to do to make it work ?
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #203 by Marty McFly
That I don't know. For some games, ReShade fails to find the depth buffer. Strange thing only that it worked for you earlier and now it does not. Did you enable MSAA in the game menu (whatever game it is) by any chance? Also ReShade disables depth buffer for online games.

Update: just implemented temporal super sampling of AO effect. 8 samples are now enough for regular in-game AO replacement. There is no performance overhead as the texSSAO texture I have been using all the time is totally senseless so when it's there already, why not use it.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Marty McFly.
More
3 years 7 months ago #204 by Sunesha

Marty McFly wrote:
Update: just implemented temporal super sampling of AO effect. 8 samples are now enough for regular in-game AO replacement. There is no performance overhead as the texSSAO texture I have been using all the time is totally senseless so when it's there already, why not use it.

You must be a wizard :woohoo:
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #205 by Marty McFly
Well it has some trailing issues so I can't combine last 3 images like I wanted to but without temporal reprojection this is hardly possible. But after blending AO and scene it's hardly noticeable, maybe in screenshots while in motion.
More
3 years 7 months ago #206 by Sunesha
Ah ok. I have gotten a bit ghost images when used MXAO with TXAA. Not sure if it is similar issue. Guess the TXAA doesn't mix the depth stuff unless it is not the game's own depth stuff.

I think probably it really depends on the game itself. A slow stealth or puzzle game it won't be a issue. Though driving a car 200 kmh will be more challenging. I guess there is limits of what Reshade can do otherwise we would have a lot temporal AA shaders already. But I really prefer some blurriness over creepy crawlies ;)

Though I lack all knowledge how stuff really works, I am glad that you are experimenting to make things better.
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #207 by Marty McFly
With TAA you have current frame AO (depth not AA'ed) mixed with color blended from current + previous frames so in this case, temporal super sampling might even decrease the ghosting as the AO now lags behind as well.

EDIT: All my projects are on hold, see my facebook page why and how you can help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Exilium
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #208 by sets

Marty McFly wrote: That I don't know. For some games, ReShade fails to find the depth buffer. Strange thing only that it worked for you earlier and now it does not. Did you enable MSAA in the game menu (whatever game it is) by any chance? Also ReShade disables depth buffer for online games.

i found the problem : it's because of FXAA ! turning it off make MXAO works now
"temporal super sampling of AO effect" how do i get this ?
and how to reset MXAO to its default settings
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by sets.
More
3 years 7 months ago #209 by xley
hey there. i absolutly love the ao and all the options that come with it.
As you mentioned earlier turning on the IL in debug mode only enables the IL view on one half of the screen.
I was wondering what i'd have to change to make it actually show up for the entire screen since it let s me
create some really cool effects that i'd love to use for some video projects.
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #210 by Marty McFly
Preliminary release build of MXAO 2.0:
-snip-

scroll down for 2.0 release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kleio420, GP-Unity, moriz1, Sinclair, @rnkrnt
More
3 years 7 months ago #211 by moriz1
man, your MXAO shader is amazeballs. the indirect lighting effect is sorely needed for games like Guild Wars 2, which lacks global illumination.

one thing that i did notice: if i move my camera really close to an object, the indirect lighting effect abruptly cuts off. i don't know if this is intended or not.
More
3 years 7 months ago #212 by Marty McFly
If you do this, all possible occluders move out of the image, where they are invisible for Reshade and can't scatter light or occlude.
More
3 years 7 months ago #213 by Marty McFly
The following user(s) said Thank You: piltrafus, genstar, Sunesha, Sinclair
More
3 years 7 months ago #214 by Sunesha
Awesome, thanks for the documentation. Will report back my thoughts later
More
3 years 7 months ago #215 by Sunesha
I have tried out the new version a bit. In XCOM2 where I got some artifacts on grass, it looks a lot better in this version. Looked good in earlier version too. But it is a great improvement as the grass blades had some artifacts that are now gone.

I also just made a test. Though dont take as the gospel. As I just made this to compare with new MXAO2, though for my GTX960 card I gained enough performance to have IL on with same performance I had in earlier MXAO with just the AO enabled. I using it in the Hitman game with 24 samples and backface enabled when I use IL in this screenshots. It is not really a great place to test IL. But it was place where could do easy comparisons..

Screenshot comparisons
Warning: Spoiler!
More
3 years 7 months ago #216 by Marty McFly
Found a bug on the doc, will update later.

About your tests, did you run mxao + in-game ao or just mxao? Also, 24 samples is more than enough, try 12 to 16 in a scene like this.
Thanks for the feedback though, it's not easy to benchmark MXAO when you got a 1080 and everything runs at 60 fps even if cranked to insanity.
More
3 years 7 months ago #217 by Sunesha
I would love to have 1080. My 960 4gb is getting to the end of its life. Think some games eat more than 4 gB too. Though 1080 is over my budget. I probably go with a 1060, so can get better fps without to many sacrifices. Yeah it would probably hard to estimate how much juice stuff requires when you have probably juice to spare ;)

In my screenshot test the in-game SSAO was turned of. I just threw it in for comparison. Though I think this game's SSAO is not really good at all

I really have to try lower samples than 24, I kind of set my lower bar on 24. But think maybe newer version look better with less samples. The older MXAO without IL was about as same speed as HBAO+. Will try to test new one against HBAO+. I kinda rank your MXAO+IL> MXAO>HBAO>SSAO in image quality. I put something up later =)
More
3 years 7 months ago #218 by ivanosky
Hi Marty, I'm using Reshade and MXAO on several games on a Laptop with a GTX 960M. In previous version of MXAO there was a variable called 'fMXAOSizeScale' that I used to get better performance without lowering the sample count. But this variable has been removed in the latest version. I was wondering if it could be added again so that gamers like me that don't have a high end rig can also use MXAO. Thanks in advance.
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #219 by Marty McFly
Did you actually check if the performance degraded without this parameter? I made various improvements to the algorithm so lower sample settings should look better.
More
3 years 7 months ago #220 by ivanosky
Yes, performance was degraded. In previous version I used fMXAOSizeScale=0.777 and sample count=16 and I could even enable IL. Now with sample count=8 I am getting worse performance with only AO enabled.