Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #641 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

The default settings are a good starting point, there's no "best practice" way of using it. I mostly set the radius to my desired result, then set the quality to as low as possible (don't look at debug, often AO looks bad in debug but just fine in normal game play) without having any flicker or ghosting, and then I adjust the intensity until I like it. In case I encounter any AO where it's not supposed to be (shadowing on low poly environment with a 175 degrees angle or so) I adjust the normal bias until it's gone. I wanted to create a video guide for a while now but i lack the motivation atm.
The topic has been locked.
  • Scorpio82CO
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #642 by Scorpio82CO Replied by Scorpio82CO on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I have some question... is there a part in this shader that could separate or detect light sources and fog avoiding to put in top of theirs? or maybe could be degrade the depth of the MXAO, to avoiding the limits of this.. I hope to make understand to you, I dont know how (it´s very representative with foggy ambients), is like to detect the color of ambient and supress knowing that color is used a lot for light sources.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Scorpio82CO.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #643 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I've tried, but nothing separates a white light source from a white wall, color data wise :/
That's why usually, AO is drawn before all transparent objects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scorpio82CO
  • Scorpio82CO
More
5 years 11 months ago #644 by Scorpio82CO Replied by Scorpio82CO on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
But.. cannot take a ¨picture¨ about the color information ...like the lightroom shader and apply like a¨color¨ mask ?..could be possible?.. Well. I assume that color i seen in three dimensions is much.. well, any way..real thanks for your answer!!
  • Martigen
More
5 years 10 months ago #645 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Marty McFly wrote: Ok so I had a look at SMAA. Yes, it indeed grabs the unlinearized, unflipped, un-whatever raw depth buffer. Raw sauce, no ketchup. As far as I see, there are 2 options, each with their own (dis)advantages:
www.mediafire.com/file/3tbsjt3jcazy13b/SMAAFixedDepth.7z

Hey Marty,
Sorry last post on this -- given this thread here: reshade.me/forum/shader-discussion/4298-...fix-this-thing#27967
And that your changes appear to be good, do you want to push to github to replace the current SMAA?
  • Darius_bd
More
5 years 10 months ago #646 by Darius_bd Replied by Darius_bd on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hi Marty! I have a problem and I'm hoping you could shed some light on it. I'm playing ETS2 and I'm trying to enable the MXAO but it does nothing. In the debugging options I set to only see the AO/IL but I just see a white screen (similar with culling faces, it's just black). I think I'm doing something really dumb because other ppl say that MXAO works fine with their Eurotruck Simulator 2 without saying that they did much...

I installed the latest ReShade (installed for the DX9 version of ETS2) and downloaded MXAO via the installation.

Thanks beforehand!
  • TheBlueOne
More
5 years 10 months ago #647 by TheBlueOne Replied by TheBlueOne on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I'm very impressed by how cheap this shader is compared to many other AO's with around the same quality as MXAO. the indirect lightning feature is really nice. I've tried it in BeamNG Drive and it's beautiful. There is some obvious flickering in some scenarios which is understandable as IL is just a feature on top of screen space ambient occlusion. This is by far the most interesting post processing shader I've ever seen.
  • Darius_bd
More
5 years 10 months ago #648 by Darius_bd Replied by Darius_bd on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Darius_bd wrote: .
Hi Marty! I have a problem and I'm hoping you could shed some light on it. I'm playing ETS2 and I'm trying to enable the MXAO but it does nothing. In the debugging options I set to only see the AO/IL but I just see a white screen (similar with culling faces, it's just black). I think I'm doing something really dumb because other ppl say that MXAO works fine with their Eurotruck Simulator 2 without saying that they did much...

I installed the latest ReShade (installed for the DX9 version of ETS2) and downloaded MXAO via the installation.

Thanks beforehand!

Ha, I found the problem. One has to set the scaling in the graphical settings of the game to 100%. And at least on my case, it still works with MLAA turned on. I leave it for reference for other people.
  • Riadon
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #649 by Riadon Replied by Riadon on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hey Marty, I just wanted to check how progress is going on your new raytraced SSAO. It looks extremely promising and as much as I love the current MXAO, I have a feeling this would just blow me away.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Riadon.
  • Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #650 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
That progress is currently halted as I have very little free time at the moment. I wanted it to be released already but I was struggling to find a good denoise algorithm, since the spatial filter I use for regular MXAO isn't fit for this.
MXAO samples in a specific pattern and the denoiser is tuned for that, but raytracing must sample purely random which needs a different denoising. The required blur is very wide and I don't want it to kill off all detail, haven't come up with a good solution yet. It's very gimmick'y anyways. While working on that, I found a good improvement for the regular MXAO blur which is now much more calm and flicker free.
  • RobinNyan
More
5 years 9 months ago #651 by RobinNyan Replied by RobinNyan on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
hey! Just got Crash Bandicoot n sane trilogy and it works nicely with mxao but I noticed something: With mxao I can see the depth of the image, but when I use the display Depth shader in reshade, it doesn't see the depth. Why is that so? Really wanted to use some nice distant blur in crash bandicoot, but only mxao works
  • Shady
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #652 by Shady Replied by Shady on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Want to use MXAO in GTA V with Reshade 3 but get some stripes on the ground and walls. I set reversed and logaritmic in Reshade settings. Does anyone have some working reshade settings for MXAO in GTA V? Is DX11 the problem?
Screenshot: ibb.co/i31Erd
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Shady.
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #653 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL

Shady wrote: Want to use MXAO in GTA V with Reshade 3 but get some stripes on the ground and walls. I set reversed and logaritmic in Reshade settings. Does anyone have some working reshade settings for MXAO in GTA V? Is DX11 the problem?
Screenshot: ibb.co/i31Erd

Have you tried disabling logarithmic? In pretty much every game with a supposed logarithmic shader I get really ugly stripes so I go without and it looks great.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Uncle Crassius.
  • Shady
More
5 years 9 months ago #654 by Shady Replied by Shady on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
That's it, no logarithmic, looking good now :-)
  • amoebae
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #655 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hi Marty, I don't know if you can shed any light on this issue.

A bunch of people who use ReShade in The Sims 4 are reporting that MXAO decreases in strength, almost to the point of disappearing, when they enter the freecam mode (and returns to normal when they exit it). I can't replicate this problem, and I don't know enough about how it all works to understand what might be causing it. It almost looks like a scaling problem, like when effects don't scale with resolution and so become smaller and tighter iyswim, but it's only affecting some people, and there's no resolution change between gameplay mode and freecam mode.

Is this something you've come across before in any other game? What might I suggest to help them troubleshoot the problem?

Edit: a thread about the problem is here . If you scroll down to the notes you'll see other people adding their own information about the issue.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by amoebae.
  • Uncle Crassius
More
5 years 9 months ago #656 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
I've never played Sims 4 but in Cities: Skylines changing to freecam, i. e. a mode without UI, seems to change depth buffer settings as well. With ReShade 3.4 you might try to change the depth detection setting under the new DX11 tab, that helped me in C:S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amoebae
  • amoebae
More
5 years 9 months ago #657 by amoebae Replied by amoebae on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Thank you, I'll pass that along to those with the problem. I think a lot of them are generally still using 3.0.8, so I'll recommend updating.

Two people I'm troubleshooting with said there was a difference in behaviour between fullscreen and fullscreen windowed, but they had opposite experiences: one said freecam worked fine in windowed, the other said it worked fine in fullscreen... I have no idea what's going on there. I play in windowed and have never had a problem.
  • Zantiag0
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #658 by Zantiag0 Replied by Zantiag0 on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Hi, I have tested MXAO with cemu and it works great with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario 3d world, it worked with GTA V too.

But on some games it doesn't work, like on Mafia II or in PCSX2 emulator (i tried Spy vs Spy game, I think it will look amazing with MXAO). Why? It just doesn't works, and on the debug options, one option gives me a white screen and another option gives me a black screen. I have readed and I think is because the depth buffer or something like that. Is there any fix for play on these games? (and more that I want try, like Bully: Scholarship Edition)

And thanks so much to Marty for make this awesome effect (I don't know how to call it), I have a video of Breath of the Wild with MXAO and some others effects like Bloom or ambient lighting.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Zantiag0.
  • Shady
More
5 years 9 months ago #659 by Shady Replied by Shady on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
To enable MXAO in GTA V 64bit DX11 I need to open ReShade settings and select the 5th depth buffer setting in DX11 tab manually on each game startup. How can I save that setting?
  • v00d00m4n
More
5 years 9 months ago #660 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic Marty McFly's Ambient Obscurance (MXAO) with IL
Why recent version of MXAO getting dumbed down and features removed? In previous version there was many options related to smoothing of effect, there was options related to GI, there was also normal smoothing - now everything is gone and image quality of MXAO got worse, now there is no way now to set up smoothing and effect looks ugly because you can clearly see all the polygons it shades.

Please, stop dumbing down this shader, return what was removed back to official repository.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Exilium
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.