qUINT

• Marty
More
4 years 11 months ago #301 by Marty Replied by Marty on topic qUINT
The new AO is absolutely fantastic. But yeah, something in line with what Durante said, the clipping/bleeding is HUGE issue.
For me personaly it causes me not to use the AO in most cases, which really sucks... ESPECIALLY now that it's even better.

Any word on the Lightroom DX9 issue I've posted earlier ? It's still present.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #302 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Duran.te Those are special cases where something might work just a tiny bit, given no camera movement and so on. All ideas like these (also all ideas I had) are super gimmicky and might look right in 0.1% of cases, but totally screw up the image in any other case. There simply isn't a way to do it properly, just because our eyes can see where to apply AO and where not does not mean a shader can. Nothing to be done about it, it's a limitation you'll have to live with. Unless one would blanket a ReShade based fog over game + AO, then you'd have natural fog blending but that's also gimmicky.

Marty I put all developments for Lightroom on hold since it's currently unfixable on OpenGL. I have a ton of other ideas and might end up rewriting the thing. Lab is a better color space to do my stuff (code is also cleaner then), the Histogram could be done over multiple frames and therefore be much faster and more stable, the current UI looks pretty funky and a couple of other things I'm unhappy with atm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

• ts2fe
More
4 years 11 months ago #303 by ts2fe Replied by ts2fe on topic qUINT
Sorry for being a noob but how do i enable MXAO HQ?

• Duran.te
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #304 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic qUINT
@Marty McFly

What a shame :(
Guess we'll just get over it, then.

@ts2fe

You can enable it by changing the value #define MXAO_HQ from 0 to 1 either in-game or by manually opening the file qUINT_mxao.fx from your "Shaders" directory.

Use this gif I took from my [strike] gorgeous [/strike] humble guide Easy Troubleshooting as a reference for the in-game option:

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Duran.te.

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #305 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
That's one way of doing it, however it isn't stored in the config if you do that. Better way (no difference in the end result) is to click on Edit global preprocessor definitions, click on + on the bottom and enter MXAO_HQ 1 in the same fashion as the 4 default parameters already present.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Marty McFly.

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #306 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Fixed a heisenbug that has been present in both MXAO and SSR.

MXAO has a hidden feature where you can actually set the screen FoV to get even more precise AO. For Ambient Occlusion, this isn't really need, hence it's off by default. For screen-space reflections however, it's crucial to have perfect view space position reconstruction, otherwise the reflection angles are off, therefore SSR has a FoV slider. Now you probably noticed that even if you set the FoV perfectly to what the game uses, the reflections still move a bit, just a tiny bit and you can never really get it right.

When I was working on my raytraced GI, I stumbled upon a problem that took me ages to fix, eventually I tracked it down to a small typo and resolved it, realizing that this exact code is also used in MXAO and SSR, which I now patched, hotfix is live on Github. If you check the last commit and what I changed, you can have a good laugh :silly:

• lowenz
More
4 years 11 months ago #307 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic qUINT
Thanks man, your work & reshade community dedication/contribution are really awesome.

Maybe you're interested in this :)
forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18115-ambien...ighting/#entry436968

• Duran.te
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #308 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic qUINT
That sums up why I quit learning programming :lol:

Definitely better looking results compared to the old version.
These perfectly-aligned shots from Mirror's Edge prove it:

(The first image displays the old version, the second pic shows the newer one. They both have the same values.)

For the sake of completeness here's the SSR-OFF pic:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Duran.te.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, jas01, Viper_Joe

• crosire
More
4 years 11 months ago #309 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic qUINT

Marty McFly wrote: Apparently, when the LUT texture size exceeds the screen size, ReShade refuses to draw to the areas outside (so for Full HD, a LUT with a width of <= 1920 is OK) but that must work so it's a ReShade bug. Can't really verify that I fixed this particular problem of yours if ReShade acts up.

Marty McFly wrote: I put all developments for Lightroom on hold since it's currently unfixable on OpenGL.

This is fixed now: github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/7d9350...bb00cb85015d1bcc0a7b
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, jas01, Ryukou36, Marty

• Marty McFly
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #310 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic qUINT
Damnit I was happy with the excuse for not working on the shader, you had to ruin it. Good job on fixing it :P
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

• Dictator93
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #311 by Dictator93 Replied by Dictator93 on topic qUINT
Hi Marty !
Big fan of your work now for years, I have used MXAO and your shader set countless times at this point. I come to this thread because of your Patreon post from April 24th - I am most definitely curious about your work there and would love to spark up a conversation with you about its functioning. To indtroduce myself, I am Alex Battaglia from Digital Foundry and have covered Reshade in the past on the channel as well as other injection style shaders recently (SEUS PTGI) and would just love to talk to you about your Patreon work as to cover it in video form.
Best,
Alex Battaglia

P.S. - been scouring the web to find you (twitter)! If here is the wrong place of contact, sorry for that. You can contact me through twitter!
@Dachsjaeger
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Dictator93.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe, PatrickJr, Ophicer

• Sacco
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #312 by Sacco Replied by Sacco on topic qUINT
Tried Reshade 3.4.1 / 4.0.2 and the latest 4.2

In all of them I get syntax errors and cannot use any of these shaders. I'm particularly interested in SSR to use with Dolphin (MarioKart)

Any ideas how to solve the syntax error problem?

I know how to install reshade, and actually have it working on several of my games.

Thanks in advance :D
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Sacco.

• JBeckman
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #313 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic qUINT
y2u.be/NkGvESObKxE

Hmm seems this new version of MXAO ended up in a Digital Foundry video for Crysis and path tracing.

EDIT: There, think that stopped it from trying to embed and then hide the video.
EDIT: Hmm perhaps it's some other custom shader after viewing the video a bit more so not strictly MXAO.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by JBeckman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uncle Crassius

• ZabaZu
More
4 years 11 months ago #314 by ZabaZu Replied by ZabaZu on topic qUINT
Just saw DF's video on the new GI shader you are working on, very exciting! Any chance you could give a rough estimate for when you think it might be released? Just looking for something as simple and noncommittal as days, weeks, or months here lol. I appreciate all the great work you've put into Reshade!

• Riadon
More
4 years 11 months ago #315 by Riadon Replied by Riadon on topic qUINT
The new shader looks great in how it operates, though it's a bit disappointing digitalfoundry didn't tweak it properly for the video. They spent a ton of unnecessary time trying to get some coop mod to work, which they should have spent adjusting the intensity to be less over-the-top. They also didn't even touch the ray count in the video so we have no idea what visual effect that has. That's in addition to the other effects they were enabling, which distracted from the point of the video and didn't look very good at all. Still, I can't wait to try this out myself, looks very promising.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01, Ryukou36, Marty, aaronth07

• Marty
More
4 years 11 months ago #316 by Marty Replied by Marty on topic qUINT

Riadon wrote: The new shader looks great in how it operates, though it's a bit disappointing digitalfoundry didn't tweak it properly for the video. They spent a ton of unnecessary time trying to get some coop mod to work, which they should have spent adjusting the intensity to be less over-the-top. They also didn't even touch the ray count in the video so we have no idea what visual effect that has. That's in addition to the other effects they were enabling, which distracted from the point of the video and didn't look very good at all.

Agree with everything you said.

• jas01
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #317 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic qUINT

Riadon wrote: The new shader looks great in how it operates, though it's a bit disappointing digitalfoundry didn't tweak it properly for the video. They spent a ton of unnecessary time trying to get some coop mod to work, which they should have spent adjusting the intensity to be less over-the-top. They also didn't even touch the ray count in the video so we have no idea what visual effect that has. That's in addition to the other effects they were enabling, which distracted from the point of the video and didn't look very good at all. Still, I can't wait to try this out myself, looks very promising.

In-game SSAO was enabled as well (shouldn't happen). Bloom was too strong (hiding a lot of detail). Enabling lumasharpen (with pretty strong values) and putting SMAA at the end of everything (sharpening jagged edges before trying to smooth them down doesn't make too much sense) made this video look pretty bad. At one point they were thinking about playing with the default values - Didn't happen as they had to deal with some bugged out enemies from this COP mod. They had their fun, but I wasn't able to get too much from their showcase.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by jas01. Reason: a typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty, Riadon

• xonedl
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #318 by xonedl Replied by xonedl on topic qUINT
So my understanding is MXAO & the new Path Tracing shaders require "depth map" where ReShade able to read the game's environment geometry?
I remember I tried MXAO in Skyrim it did work, that's that.
[strike]Currently playing another old game - Stalker, nope MXAO didn't work there, the debug view show a complete flat color[/strike]
Nvm, stupid me forgot to check the DX11 tab for Depth Buffer configuration.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by xonedl.

• UTwelve
More
4 years 11 months ago #319 by UTwelve Replied by UTwelve on topic qUINT
MXAO_SMOOTHNORMALS is work? :unsure:

• YamiNoNeko
More
4 years 11 months ago #320 by YamiNoNeko Replied by YamiNoNeko on topic qUINT
Thanks for your hard work, I was trying it in a game I play a lot and it says the bloom fail to compile. What should I do or how can I fix this?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.