Prod80's shader library

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #61 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library
HDR function in Photoshop requires you to have an image with more than 8 bit color so it can take a boosted image, normal image, and dimmed image. Then it combined those into a "HDR" image which will have more detail in shadows and highlights. In games we call this tonemapping. Most games have HDR in the backend in which they render their effects, then a tonemapping operator of sorts to fit all that information into an 8 bit image that can be displayed on your monitor (8 bit, as in 256 (0-255) values per individual color channel).

Reshade unfortunately does not have access to the HDR texture from the game engine. The texture we can manipulate is already 8 bit. As such we can not make a true replication of the "HDR effect" of Photoshop.

We can only simulate it (basically a contrast effect), but it won't look the same because for us the extra data that may be available in shadows and highlights like those from a 10-14bit+ camera sensor is simply not there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gamehancer
More
4 years 1 month ago #62 by gamehancer Replied by gamehancer on topic Prod80's shader library
thank you really for taking the time to answer it's a shame with clarity I'm trying to reproduce the same thing as the hdr like this image my it's complicated

link> fixthephoto.com/fr/action-photoshop-hdr-gratuit

• Tojkar
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #63 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Prod80's shader library

gamehancer wrote: thank you really for taking the time to answer it's a shame with clarity I'm trying to reproduce the same thing as the hdr like this image my it's complicated

link> fixthephoto.com/fr/action-photoshop-hdr-gratuit

That kind of effect is relatively easy to achieve with Clarity.fx. Fiddle with that to create similar HDR-effect with luma or darkness of the pixels(I dont speak photoshop, so might not use exactly correct terms here) and then use what ever color affecting shaders to colorize the image as you see fit. Lightroom from MartyMcFly for example or Prod80's shaders from this topic are good for that. You can get Clarity.fx from official repo or when installing ReShade.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Tojkar.

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #64 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library
I dunno, the same that guy shows on his website with his before and after (where I think is that the after picture is actually the original, and he just messes with PS effects to create the before, btw)

I can do the same with my reshade shaders, or close enough, to restore from his "before" picture. Literally took less than 5 minutes to do this.

Before

After

Literally took the picture from his website and put it in an effect and ran my reshade shaders over them. As you can see here. The quality is horrible with a crappy small picture from his website that I had to upscale to 1080p and became all pixelated. But you get the point I assume..

That's why I say I'm a little at a loss what you want exactly. Most effects are already there to achieve exactly what you want to achieve. You just have to use them. I don't have a "Preset for a certain look" ... that, you have to do yourself. Photoshop "Actions" are simply a series of effects ran after each other to get a certain look. You can do the exact same with ReShade.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by prod80.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gamehancer

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #65 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library
UPDATES

In the last few days added dithering into
- PD80_02_Bloom.fx
- PD80_01B_RT_Correct_Color.fx
- PD80_03_Shadows_Midtones_Highlights.fx
- PD80_04_Color_Gradients.fx
- PD80_04_BlacknWhite.fx
- PD80_04_Magical_Rectangle.fx

Tint (Warm / Cold) added to PD80_04_Contrast_Brightness_Saturation.fx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, klotim, aaronth07

• Wicked Sick
More
4 years 1 month ago #66 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Prod80's shader library
That was amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: prod80

• klotim
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #67 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Prod80's shader library
Thank you for the optimization for the bloom. Appreciate it!
A question, do I need correct contrast if I have correct color, if yes, should correct contrast be loaded after or before correct color per your preference?

Also, do I need the dithering if I have tri-dither first in the load order?
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by klotim.

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #68 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library

klotim wrote: Thank you for the optimization for the bloom. Appreciate it!
A question, do I need correct contrast if I have correct color, if yes, should correct contrast be loaded after or before correct color per your preference?

Correct Color and Contrast are two different effects that almost do the same thing with 1 critical difference; correct contrast does not change the coloring.

Dither is needed prior to running the effect, but within the same .fx file... doing tri-dither as a pass between or before doesn't matter because colors are rounded to uint8 each time they are written back to the backbuffer (end of each shader). Dither only helps when you're doing effects inside the shader itself (after or before dithering, depending on what you want). Doing just a shader that only dithers and nothing else is kind of weird because input is uint8 and output is uint8 and between there's nothing that's happening other then dither. Basically it becomes a noise effect then.

Example of dithering
imgsli.com/MTM0NjQ

Doing strong "destructive" effect, with and without dither
imgsli.com/MTM0NjU
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by prod80.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim, AssassinsDecree

• gamehancer
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #69 by gamehancer Replied by gamehancer on topic Prod80's shader library
thank you for your help really thank you I found a technique I would make a video on my channel I post it here for you

• klotim
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #70 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Prod80's shader library

prod80 wrote:

klotim wrote: Thank you for the optimization for the bloom. Appreciate it!

Correct Color and Contrast are two different effects that almost do the same thing with 1 critical difference; correct contrast does not change the coloring.

Dither is needed prior to running the effect, but within the same .fx file... doing tri-dither as a pass between or before doesn't matter because colors are rounded to uint8 each time they are written back to the backbuffer (end of each shader). Dither only helps when you're doing effects inside the shader itself (after or before dithering, depending on what you want). Doing just a shader that only dithers and nothing else is kind of weird because input is uint8 and output is uint8 and between there's nothing that's happening other then dither. Basically it becomes a noise effect then.

Example of dithering
imgsli.com/MTM0NjQ

Doing strong "destructive" effect, with and without dither
imgsli.com/MTM0NjU

Ahh so i take it correct contrast is not needed then if i use correct color?
Just noticed that there's no performance mode for correct contrast, is it intended? I noticed quite a difference with the performance mode for correct color. Appreciate that!

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #71 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library
Yes that's intended as Correct Contrast is anyway a shader you don't want to leave ON during gameplay as it continuously adjusts the brightness/contrast of an image. It's mainly for screenshotting to ensure the image has a proper white/black point. Can also call it exposure correction of sorts.

Histogram of an image where the game compressed the available color depth

After Correct Contrast adjust the white/black points

But in most cases, there will be no effect. Only when the darkest and/or the lightest value in the screen is not 0 (0) or 255 (1).

You can easily see this effect when going in a game in a dark room, night, or just simply run to a wall.

And no, you don't need to run them at the same time, though there may be some situations where there's heavy coloring that running correct contrast before correct color will allow a better removal of the color cast. The reason it's more heavy to run is because correct contrast will sample each and every pixel on your screen.

The correct color has a performance mode in 2 different ways;
1) set the precision to a higher value in which the shader will sample mip levels, each mip level is 1/4th the size of the previous level, which also reducing the amount of samples taken when pixels are missed. It's called precision because a mip level will interpolate the pixels it reduced. For example, if a cluser of 4 pixels is reduced to 1 pixel (1 mip level lower) and the pixels have values of 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, then the resulting pixel will have a value of 0.25. Additionally setting precision to a higher level will remove color more aggressively in case required. You can use preserve luma option to compensate if it removed too much.
2) "use performance mode" works under the assumption that if there is 1 white or black pixel in the screen, there will be more. So instead of relying on mip levels it will just skip pixels during sampling. Setting performance mode will skip 3 pixels on each read, so reducing the number of reads by a factor 4. The potential benefit here is that you may not sacrifice precision as no pixels are mixed, but it may also not find the correct pixel when the number of brightest or darkest pixels in the scene is very small.

Using both simultaneously may reduce the effect of the shader to a point it is not desirable.. would advise to use either one, but not both.

Each have their benefits.

• gamehancer
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #72 by gamehancer Replied by gamehancer on topic Prod80's shader library
hi prod80 look link my channel

• Tojkar
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #73 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Prod80's shader library
Hi Prod80.

I really liked the black and white shader as it was when you originally posted it. It was possible to abuse it to create very artistic effects on the screen which are not possible with the new black and white while the new is much better for it's intended use. Would you mind to re-publish the old version as a completely new shader? Combined with some other shaders it was able to make some very painterly effects which was great.

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #74 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library

Tojkar wrote: Hi Prod80.

I really liked the black and white shader as it was when you originally posted it. It was possible to abuse it to create very artistic effects on the screen which are not possible with the new black and white while the new is much better for it's intended use. Would you mind to re-publish the old version as a completely new shader? Combined with some other shaders it was able to make some very painterly effects which was great.

Hey, could you let me know exactly which effect you’re referring to that the old B&W shader had? There were a few versions... also, the effect may still be there, just moved to a different shader (like all the color grading went to the new Color Gradient shader)

• Tojkar
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #75 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Prod80's shader library

prod80 wrote:

Hey, could you let me know exactly which effect you’re referring to that the old B&W shader had? There were a few versions... also, the effect may still be there, just moved to a different shader (like all the color grading went to the new Color Gradient shader)

This one is the latest version of this iteration I have.

Specifically the ability to select the layers (bw/colored/etc), the strength of gaussian blur and the blend mode are important to me.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by Tojkar.

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #76 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library
Updated the dithering, using blue noise now for better results!

Added motion to the dither as well.

On update please download both shaders and textures folders, as it has a new texture (bluenoise.png) renamed the old gaussian texture (gaussnoise.png) and it has a helper file now for me to easily load the noise samplers into the files where I want to use them (PD80_00_Noise_Samplers.fxh) so they don't clutter my files or the UI

Enjoy
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #77 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library

Tojkar wrote:

prod80 wrote:

This one is the latest version of this iteration I have.

Specifically the ability to select the layers (bw/colored/etc), the strength of gaussian blur and the blend mode are important to me.

Warning: Spoiler!

You can get it here: github.com/prod80/prod80-ReShade-Reposit...80_04_BlacknWhite.fx

On Github you have the option to click on "Commits" (top left on the repository) and from there you can browse and view the repository at a specific point in time by clicking on the "<>" symbol behind an update (ie- before a shader was changed) and download previous versions if you wish.

The gaussian blur in the B&W shader didn't add much value for me, and the effect is very heavy. So I moved that one out, and moved the blending modes into Color Gradient shader. You can desaturate the base image from within that shader (same as old B&W shader) and run color effects over it. It only doesn't have the blur.

• klotim
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #78 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic Prod80's shader library

prod80 wrote: Updated the dithering, using blue noise now for better results!

Added motion to the dither as well.

On update please download both shaders and textures folders, as it has a new texture (bluenoise.png) renamed the old gaussian texture (gaussnoise.png) and it has a helper file now for me to easily load the noise samplers into the files where I want to use them (PD80_00_Noise_Samplers.fxh) so they don't clutter my files or the UI

Enjoy

This is awesome, however, bluenoise.png is already used by marty mcfly and his ray tracing shader.
Could you by any chance rename it? Like PD80_blueNoise or something?

• prod80
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #79 by prod80 Replied by prod80 on topic Prod80's shader library
Great, more conflicts :/

New ReShade installer is coming to fix these issues luckily.

It's fixed now. You can re-download.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by prod80.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim

• Tojkar
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #80 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Prod80's shader library
Yes, I do know how to get older version from Github. The reason I asked was that I'd love to have both versions working but I lack knowledge to edit the shader in such way that they would. Would you mind at least give me a tip on what should I change so that they would both work at the same time as intended?

Other than that, your shaders became my most used ones immediately after you published them here, so good work on that! They are somewhat easier to configure for wanted results than most other similar shaders and the scope of them happens to be exactly what I want from color grading not including those changes in BW shader. The old BW is great for abusing it's settings and the new one is excellent on it's intended use.

BTW, those sweet words are sincere and not just an attempt to make you give what i want but if that helps, awesome! ;P

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.