A letterbox that only renders between the bars?

• SirArthurStreebGreebling
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by SirArthurStreebGreebling A letterbox that only renders between the bars? was created by SirArthurStreebGreebling
I was wondering if something like this is possible to do in reshade...or even makes sense, i haven't really given it much thought. The letterbox we have now covers the bottom and top of the image in black bars, but would it be possible to actually squeeze the image in between them and in doing so keep the hud and at the same time have a cheap anti aliasing effect? Or am i even right in thinking it would be an anti aliasing method at all? It would be the same resolution but squeezed down and made smoother in the process, thats how i see it but I'm probably completely wrong.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by SirArthurStreebGreebling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elimina
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #2 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic A letterbox that only renders between the bars?

SirArthurStreebGreebling wrote: I was wondering if something like this is possible to do in reshade...or even makes sense, i haven't really given it much thought. The letterbox we have now covers the bottom and top of the image in black bars, but would it be possible to actually squeeze the image in between them and in doing so keep the hud and at the same time have a cheap anti aliasing effect? Or am i even right in thinking it would be an anti aliasing method at all?

In your explanation, you said that you want to make the screen fit in between the black bars, but in doing so, there would probably only be two methods to scale down the screen. If you just made it fit by shortening the actual screen to fit inside of the bars, it would make the image look stretched horizontally, and if you made the whole screen smaller in proportion, then you would be left with extra black bars on the sides of the screen to make up for the scale of the width.

Also yes, I agree that lowering the screen's size while using the same resolution will give you a cheap AA effect that blurs the entire screen

I like your idea, but there would be no way to get the HUD to show above the black bars without stretching or leaving black areas on the sides of the screen, but the only way to show the HUD while using letterbox is to mask the HUD and allow it to show through the effects
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Elimina.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.