Porting shaders okay?

• Swartz27
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #1 by Swartz27 Porting shaders okay? was created by Swartz27
Hello,

To all involved in Reshade: you've done an awesome job! Thank you! :)

I was wondering, is it okay to port these shaders outside of Reshade into a mod I'm leading for Stalker: Call of Pripyat? The mod is called Radium, and we have the source code to the game so adding new shaders to any DX mode is not problematic like it is with the base game.

Of course any shaders used we would give full credit to the authors involved.

We're looking to modernize the graphics of the engine as we are modernizing the engine in general (soon it should have true multi-threading and be 64-bit).

I was also wondering...would any of you be interested in joining the Radium team and porting/coding your shaders yourself? The thing is I'm a novice both at C++ and rendering in HLSL, but I learn pretty fast and have already made lots of changes.

Basically, here are the rendering features we're interested in (some in Reshade already, some aren't):
1) Physically based rendering (modifying the reflective bump map shader further perhaps?)
2) SSGI (had already ported someone else's SSDO but it looks like ass in Stalker, so SSGI would be better)
3) A higher quality DOF effect than what is currently in Stalker. Must be able to modify it for zoom and reload DOF.
4) Reflective surfaces during rain (might be done, still need to test it)
5) Light propagation volumes or some other GI solution
6) Lense dirt/flares

And in terms of things I *might* need from others, that's about it. Though if someone was really motivated to make quality rendering we wouldn't stop you: the sky is the limit.

Anyway, just something to think about.

If nothing else is there:
A) A program out there for converting shaders from SM_3_0 to SM_5_0?
B ) Is there any equivalent to tex2dproj in DX11? A google search didn't help :(

We removed the DX8 (static lighting) renderer, and are about to remove DX10 too since we fixed the problems that DX11 had, so instead of having to do lots of extra work there will just be two options: DX9 (performance), DX11 (quality).
If one of my programmers has his way we will also have a DX12 renderer too at some point.

Thank you for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kleio420
More
8 years 4 months ago #2 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic Porting shaders okay?

Swartz27 wrote: Hello,

1) Physically based rendering (modifying the reflective bump map shader further perhaps?)
2) SSGI (had already ported someone else's SSDO but it looks like ass in Stalker, so SSGI would be better)

Thank you for your time.

good luck trying to get PBR working correctly and it not look like crap.Reflective surfaces can work in conjunction with subsurface scattering and PBR textures just use a static image instead of something being done shader based wont be dynamic tho but wont really matter if a floor is the target and you want it to look wet your only going to see it to a certain angle anyway call of duty black ops 3 uses this often throughout the story mode.To hit point 5 , you mean something in the terms of light shafts will be easier if you can identify light sources and they arnt being faked <<<FALLOUT 4(bethesda you suck)

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 4 months ago #3 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic Porting shaders okay?
no need to port things form here if you can edit the engine itself.
You can start with the effect demos in MyNameIsMJP and other rendering blogs.
siggraph presentations form recent games are also a good entry point on what ppl are doing lately.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.